A suggestion for a new support type- I Call it "Ramifications" 1.0.0

(0 reviews)

6 Screenshots

About This File

This is a suggestion to develop a new type of support that gows from the side of the printed part instead of the print bed.

This could reduce material used for support and reduce print time.
I have done two tests to compare, the design can be improved and i am sure a slincing algorythm can be added maybe in "Cura" to have Ramification support.
I added Pictures and the models of two comparative parts.
Let me know what you think and if you can develop the algorythm. This is totally open source suggestion i claim no right for. I only would like it to be named "Ramificaitons".

(STL need to be rotated 90 degrees)

• Like 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have used this concept before when printing large overhangs. It was based on an idea of another user, but I forgot his name (might have been smartavionics?). It works very well, even with only a few connecting strands. My strands were 1mm long, 0.5mm wide, and 0.2mm high (=2 layers of 0.1mm).

Inverted triangles to generate support do not work well for small layer-heights of 0.1mm: they tend to curl up too much. Inverted staircases (1mm steps) worked better for me. See the pics.

So, depending on the design, this method can be very usefull.

Inverted triangles curl up too much.

DSCN5686b.jpg.a9820bddeaf6d37b7dd30feb5f4de786.jpg

Basic concept:

overhangtest11c2.thumb.jpg.a46d23123127b77f81082a2efa4daa80.jpg

Long bridge with hanging support, so the text below does not get damaged by the supports. All plates are 1mm thick in this test. The little ribs on top of the support are 0.5mm wide, separated 1mm.

overhangtest11e.thumb.jpg.1f92bf0e3eb064e1d9edbdf9edd16b3c.jpg

The result. The supports can easily be removed, and they do very little damage to the walls.

DSCN5727b.jpg.8aeeef6796d24bf7adbbdaa5eb24f52a.jpg

• Like 1

Share this comment

This is interesting. Very similar design. I hope at some point it would be implemented as automatic generation option.

Share this comment