I'm considering to get myself an entryticket to the world of 3D printing. Of course, there are many to choose from, but I think I've narrowed down the choice between Ultimaker and the Velleman K8200. For a fair comparison, I probably should compare kit (hence UM1) to kit:
- K8200 is cheaper
- K8200 is much bigger, for a slightly smaller print volume
- The alu frame of K8200 seems more rigid and durable than the wooden UM1
- K8200 has a heated bed
- UM1 claims layers of 0,05 mm, whereas K8200 speaks about 0,2-0,25 mm
- I think the UM1 is easier to assemble
- The K8200 is in stock in a shop in my hometown, compared to weeks of delivery time for Ultimaker.
Choices, choices, ...
I'm sure all of you will tell me that I should go with Ultimaker - but I'm mostly interested in experiences from people who actually have used both.