I'm building a large 3D printer and was assembling electronics today.
I've got ultimaker 1.5.7 board and attempted to run Marlin 1.0 firmware with Full Graphic Smart Controller that I bought on ebay.
I couldn't make it work for 2 days and had the controller just beeping, or if you swap the connectors - buzzing none stop. No display at all.
The problem appeared to be in the connecting ribbons.
The Ultimaker Board has sockets for the headers with special stub in it. It is done to prevent reverse plugging.
However that exactly was a problem.
When I turned both headers, it worked just fine!
(I had to actually cut the stubs on headers and plug it other way around. I unfortunately had no spare headers to fix the connecting ribbons properly).
gr5 edit: added his photo