Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by cubic

  1. Hi All,

    Today I made a fresh install of Linux Mint 18.1 on a PC. Next I added some software like FreeCAD and Cura. Clicking Cura seems to do nothing. When I start Cura by typing cura in a terminal window, I get "/usr/bin/cura: regel 3: python3.4: opdracht niet gevonden". Good Dutch for "command not found".

    This is obvious because python3.5 is installed. When I modify the /usr/bin/cura script to python3.5 I get a traceback ending in:

    from . import multiarrayImportError: cannot import name 'multiarray'


    Anyone a good idea?

    To me it looks like Cura should be using "its own"python3.4 but is finding the system installed pyton3.5 but I have no idea how to set this right.


    Thanks, Cubic

  2. @ gr5: True, no doubt about that. However the printout with-no-fan is even better to the point than the first printout. Something was very wrong in that first printout but I am not able to reproduce it.

    @suminvent: Please go ahead. My first question would be "does it print the same (wrong) thing every time?" As my printout was wrong just once.



  3. Hi again all,

    If you look at trouble as an opportunity to learn something, making mistakes is becoming a must. But so is learning from them. So I put in some time to try some of the suggestions. And again the outcome is unexpected.

    It seemed a good idea to just reprint the object exactly like I printed it yesterday. Same Gcode file; the SD card has not been out of the printer. The printer operates stand alone. The left one is what I got:


    It is my impression that the left hand side is even better than the right hand side the way the ball extends from the stem. This may be explained because the fan was on the left.

    Now I have to admit that I do not trust the fan. It sometimes makes odd noises and then is running much slower. I suspect the fan bearing is worn due to the accelerations it is subjected to. I could not remember hearing that yesterday but you never know.

    And since it was suggested that the high print speed and faulty fan operation may produce this result I sabotaged the fan. The middle one is printed without fan. Sure, this is not good but still it does not have the wide bottom under the ball. The way the ball starts extending from the stem is stll better than the first print.

    Just to be certain I printed a third one. Also all right.

    It looks like we could conclude that the print result was a one-off and close the case. Or should we learn more? Just keep it in mind for in case more turn up.



  4. Hi Again,

    Thanks all of you for taking your time to look at this item. Here are the requested views. In my perception there is no problem with what is shown on screen. It seems logical but the output....

    basic settings


    advanced settings


    xray view

    slice 30:


    slice 51:


    slice 65:


    slice 67:


    slice 71:


    slice 80:


    slice 90:


    slice 100:


    slice 110:


    What tools can I use to investigate the gcode file?




  5. Good, it is a project in its own to get a picture in the forum, but here we are:

    after importing the .STL into cura I saw:


    And this was the result:


    Not only is it different, but I would find it understandable if this could not be printed at all due to the large overhang.



  6. Hi All,

    I am using an Ultimaker 1 and Cura 14.07. I have some experience printing either self designed objects (using FreeCAD on Linux) or Thingiverse things like gears. All well, never had unexpected results. But today I designed a “mushroom”, so a 5mm stem (stick) 5mm tall and a 12mm football on top.

    I was a bit anxious for where the ball should start widening from the stem since it is an overhang but since the subsequent layers extend only slightly I hoped it would go.

    I was more than surprised to find in the printer a shape where the stem is OK (5mm diameter) but then the next layer, where the minimal overhang should begin, is 9.2mm diameter. The next layers remain the same size until the ball becomes bigger than 9.2mm and from then on the rest of the ball is OK.

    The imported STL file looks OK in Cura. Inspecting it on a layer level show nothing special. But the output is remarkable because this is quite an overhang and it looks good but is far from what was intended.

    Thanks for your thoughts


    as shown in Cura:


    and this is the result:



  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!