Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Community Reputation

0 Neutral
  1. New to the UM2 and especially getting ABS to work well for me. Bridging has been a problem, and I noticed that the brim layer was choppy. The head looked like it was ploughing through the first couple of layers. So got out the digital calipers and measured the brim thickness. Cura is set for .3mm and the brim measured .24mm. Here is example. Also the infill was set for 30% and you can see the issues with just trying to cross strands. Layer height was .1mm Ran again with layer height at .2mm and a few tweaks of the bed height. 20% infill. Big difference in brim quality. This brim me
  2. Learn something new every day... I knew that the speed setting was persistant within the printer Tune settings until you powered off the machine. What I just found though was that when loading new model files the plugin was staying persistant in Cura, even after Cura and computer was completely shut down. There was one instance of the Tweak at Z plugin still displayed in the Cura plugin tab, and sure enough, there were several places in the gcode where the speed change was present.
  3. Nice to know. When I first started printing with ABS I thought I was getting over-extrusion on the first few layers as the print head.seemed to be ploughing through ridges of material from adjacent passes. Went away after a few layers so could have just been my build platform being a calibrated a little too close. Going to run Triffid Hunters calibration tests to see how my printer fares in stock settings. Am getting some pillowing on the top most layers when I printed Coffins Cube so need to look at the fan settings and experiment with temperature. In general, I feel I am getting poor b
  4. Interestingly, on a previous bridging test print I did use the tweak at Z plugin to reduce print speed to 20% at a couple of places. I will look at the GCode of this print and Cura to see if some artifact of those tests are getting into the new print.
  5. Was trolling through the "Tune" options during a print and noticed that the "Material Feed" percentage was defaulting to 107%. Has anyone else ever seen this with a new machine? I upgraded the firmware immediately after setting up the printer.
  6. I've been doing some longer print runs with multiple parts with the Cura "Print One at a time" option selected. Several times now I have come in to check on a print and the print speed has reset to 20% in the machne "Tune" options. Just now for example, in the middle of a print I reset the speed to 100%, and then 15 minutes later it has changed back to 20%. I am thinking a master reset may be in order?
  7. My one week old UM2 successfully completed the cylinder test! Had some initial issues however with the spool holder causing binding of the filament. First few attempts at some longer print jobs resulted in spool wandering away from the printer creating excess drag and subsequent filament grinding and failure. Got that figured out, then found I now had an obstruction in the nozzle. Atomic cleaning to the rescue and then I ran the cylinder test. Since then I have printed and installed Roberts spool holder upgrade and extruder mod. Works wonderfully now without worry of feed issues.
  8. Just found this post: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/make-2015-3d-printer-shoot-out-test-geometries#!design-information Can't wait to try them out on my machine.
  9. I am a brand new UM2 owner and was wondering if anyone has ever essembled a collection of test prints that could be used as a tool in determining if your printer is setup properly or performing up to specs? Direct download of UM2 GCode files for example could bypass any user screwups with Cura settings. If someone has a few recommendations for "torture test pieces" or objects that might be good for testing I would love to see them. Thanks!
  10. Yellowshark, thanks for clarifying. Yes, once I realized retraction was grinding the filament I went back and loosened the extruder to the original factory setting best I could. My last print with the reduced retraction settings made it much further along before grinding. I saw another post where it mentioned that lots of retraction over time will allow heat to build up in the colder part of the hot end and the filament can soften causing extra resistance, and subsequent grinding. This does not appear to be the issue with the OP's extruder, but possibly mine. Guess the final test will be to
  11. I am a brand new UM2 owner and have made half a dozen very nice prints the last couple days. Then I decided to do a "torture test" kind of print of a dodecahedron chain. Print should have taken 6 hours, but after an hour the extruder was failing due to grinding of the filament. Tried increasing the extruder tension, but got another failed print. Then I realized the part was doing an excessive amount of retracts. The constant retracts were chewing up the filament to the point it would no longer feed. I went into the advance settings in Cura and changed the retract minimum from the (appare
  • Create New...