Jump to content

tomii

Member
  • Content Count

    6
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About tomii

  • Birthday 10/08/1968

Personal Information

  1. So, I've upgraded from 3.4 to 3.6. And now parts don't print worth a hoot. I've attached a file that previously printed just fine - the old gcode still prints fine, but I needed to make a slight modification to the model for the final piece. If I slice with CURA 3.6, it just does retched things - hair everywhere, it looks like it's getting lost in the X (or Y?) axis, big blobs of schmutz - no fine details. Pretty sure I have the settings set pretty close to what I had before (except maybe for retraction prime distance - it doesn't really let me tweak that acceptably). Thing is, if I slice the model in Simplify3D, it works pretty good. I've attached a couple of STLs and gcode (from both S3D and C3.6) that I'm currently working with, and seem to be affected by this issue. Some help/insights would be appreciated. In the meantime, I may switch back to 3.4 or 5 to get things sorted out. Not sure. S3D_SlottedStem.gcode UM2_SlottedStem.gcode Base.STL SlottedStem.STL
  2. Update... Just killed the old printer profile and reloaded it. New bounding box seems to more closely represent build area, but now it has a "keep out" on the interior that's affecting the build area. Although, it appears to be ready to slice it up, even though it's all greyed out... D'oh.
  3. Doesn't seem to get me there. I can see that the object fits on the build plate... I'm wondering if it thinks it's too tall, based on what I believe to be a build area boundary box... How can I fix this?
  4. A couple of questions, actually... The "build area" in both versions of the software does not seem to fill up the table. This is also depicted in the screen views. Is this normal? Allowable build area in 2.x seems smaller than 15.x? This has all been nothing more than a minor annoyance until I tried to switch over to 2.x. I have this mode (https://grabcad.com/library/burke-pumpjack-2) that I have successfully printed on 15.x I want to try some of the newer settings (for fan speeds, etc) on 2.x, but I cannot print it without scaling. And the scaling is completely (trigger warning) retarded. Clues? Ideas? One of the things I'm trying to do is improve overhang performance. Clearly, this model has a *lot* of overhangs. It prints reasonably well, considering, but I'm hoping to make improvements. Last question - is there a way to force the direction of travel in overhangs? Right now, the gcode is extruding the overhangs in the long direction, and I believe they would be much better if they were printed in the short direction.
  5. tomii

    Burke Pumpjack

    Version 1.0

    964 downloads

    20th scale 3d model of a Burke pumpjack History: When I was a kid, we were pretty poor. The whole "white trailer trash" thing. But we weren't trash, I guess. We *did* live in a trailer outside of town. Anyway, the family owned a machine shop. My grandpa, my uncle, and my dad. My grandpa and uncle kinda took their cut off the top of revenues every pay period. My dad, though, made sure all his people were paid before he was. That meant he (we) sometimes went without getting paid for a few weeks. Then, the oil embargo of the late 1970's happened. Oil exploration went through the roof (along with interest rates and the cost of living). My family started manufacturing and selling these pumpjacks. They were well made, and very reasonably priced (there is at least one still running today, over 30 years later, somewhere in S. Indiana). Selling these things got us to the lower middle class, I suppose. We actually bought a house and moved into town when I was 13 or so. Back to the story - My dad tried to convince the rest of the family that we should get out of the pumpjack business, as he had friends in the oil business and knew things were afoot. Unfortunately, he was the "baby" of the family (about the only one with any sense, IMHO), so there was *NO* way he could possibly know anything, right? Churchill came out with a "disposable" unit for a *much* lower price. The machine shop went bankrupt practically overnight. A biog loss for us, but my dad managed to find work, and since he didn't have to take care of a bunch of employees first, we actually were a bit better off. I spent a lot of time in that machine shop, and have plenty of memories from there. I still love the smell of machine oil and welding. Anyway, these pumpjacks led us to a better life. It's only fitting that I've made a couple at 1/20th scale for gifts to myself and my mom. I still have some of the original brochures and a photo album full of pics. I modeled it all up, and I have printed a couple on my ultimaker 2+. gcode files (at GrabCad) are for an Ultimaker 2+ 3D printer (ABS). Part files are SolidWorks 2016. The bearings and shafts are from servocity.com (where I got 3d Models for them): Flanged bearing: PN 535036 1in shaft: PN 634114 2in shaft: PN 634116 The motor model is one I put together from datasheet for another project (also on GrabCad). It has no internals, just the shell. In the built-up model, I use O-rings for the internal pulleys. I don't have a part number, but they are about 1/16" x ~1" The internal "gear ratio" is about 11:1 - that is, 11 turns on the input pulley results in one full cycle of the horse's back. I'm working on a motor mount for it - I might add files for that and maybe a video if I ever get around to making it work.
  6. I just ordered this from McMaster Carr. Seems to work well. And with shipping, it's only about $2/foot http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/144/=13jbuf4
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!