Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


kmanstudios last won the day on March 31

kmanstudios had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

985 Excellent

About kmanstudios

  • Rank
    Veni, Vidi Feci
  • Birthday 10/24/1960

Personal Information

  • Field of Work
    (Product) design
    R&D / Exploration
  • Country
  • 3D printer
    Ultimaker 3 Extended

Recent Profile Visitors

3,452 profile views
  1. Soooo, why dontcha tells us how you really feel 😂 In all seriousness, it is very easy to work in imperial and send out as metric. Just takes a bit of awareness so that there is not missed step. In one of my software packages (3DS Max) I can use, say, metric, and type measurements in imperial and the conversion is done for me to the proper units. I also work a lot in metric. Depends on the needs of project I am working on. If I am doing architecture work, I work in feet and inches and then convert the scale to a printer size.. When I am just squirreling about modeling I work in native metric. I also have two 'stage' files that holds a lined off cube that defines the printing area of my S5 and UM3E. This allows me to place my objects or check size restrictions.
  2. I have read about more than one error. Then, there is the issue of bricked machines, which is a total collection of errors. And, there is the thing about trying to not have this happen again. And, though, limited in programming experience, nothing is ever that easy in practice.
  3. Intersecting objects are just not good all the way around. While the tip you provide is good, robust, modeling practices are the best thing to work with.
  4. I use 3D Coat. But even Blender does voxels, and it is free. I just do not know the fidelity or speed of Blender.
  5. Sooooo, you are asking for more grief......😂
  6. If I am correct, the flow sensor does not kick in until a layer or two has been printed. Also, if retracted too far, it will be feeding, just not at the nozzle yet.
  7. Not really on setting this completely right. I did start to use a newer USB drive as well as did a switching callibration. While it did improve greatly, it is not completely gone away. But, instead of several times a day, it has only done that once since I mnade those adjustments.
  8. Have you checked with your resellers? They are the ones that are supposed to be your main point of contact for service and warranty issues.
  9. Both models are essentially 2D shells. There is nothing to give it thickness.
  10. Layer shifts can also occur if the printhead hits a curled area of plastic hard enough.
  11. You are welcome. Keep in mind, even if getting the files elsewhere, the above are things to check. 3D rendering can overcome a multitude of sins since they can work with shells and 2D surfaces. And, games are more often than not just what amounts to 2D shells without any thickness to them. Also, many, many files are just not that good when you download them.
  12. Would that not depend on a prototype for a final process? In other words, making a separate model for the 3D printer and another for the final? I know I would hate to make two models with one being just for the 3D printer.
  13. OK, here is the fixed file: bagon-2_EK.STL It slices fine in my UM3 printer definition as you can see here. Now, there were a few issues with the model: All parts were overlapping individual objects The main body was watertight The overlapping parts were just 'shells' This means that the other parts were 2D shells This created a lot of confusion for Cura as to where to 'cap' or 'bridge' whist trying to clean up the model. They would not union (boolean) properly in any program that is just mesh based. In the future, it would be best to make sure the parts are 'capped' so that the individual parts would operate properly. I took the easy way: I imported into a program that can work with 'voxels' and it just did the work just fine. Keep in mind that voxels and mesh are two different ways of dealing with models. Booleans in mesh is a real pain since they can create a lot of strange artifacts. However, booleans in voxels are blazingly fast and 'secure.' Voxels are volume based and when booleaned, they create a clean (superduper clean) outer volume that can then be exported into a mesh object. I could have reduced the polygons quite a bit more, but did not want to stray too far from your original model size. It really does not need so many polys since it is not really carrying much detail. How you would go about fixing this in Cinema4D, I could not say. So, I hope the above information helps in the future for you as 'capping', booleans, and 2D shells are common concepts in all modern mesh based programs.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!