Jump to content

ViennaBlood

Member
  • Content Count

    5
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

Personal Information

  • Country
    AT

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Of course, plugins are in the Marketplace! And I looked under "Settings", "Preferences" and "Extensions". Silly me... I had that plugin deactivated in the old 2.x version I had installed. After updating to the current version it was back. And if I deactivate it from within the program I first have to let it mess up my fan controller. So killing the plugin directory is "better" because it prevents cura from messing with my fan controller in the first place.
  2. Here we go again. More than 1 year later, same problem. I just deleted the USBPrinting subfolder in the Plugin directory to get rid of it. I am sure it will be back after an update. Can you please, PLEASE add a sanity check for your USB communication? I am sure you already have tons of "profiles" for all kinds of printers - just add a check if you are talking to a known printer or an unknown device. Then ask the user "Hey, we couldn't figure your printer out, are you sure we should send random commands to this device?"
  3. After some testing it appears that Cura is not fusing multiple walls properly. I set the nozzle diameter to 0.4mm and extrusion width to 0.4mm. Then I set numer of walls to 3. This results in a calculated wall thickness of 1.2mm. If I read the generated G-code correctly the traces for this wall are 0.4mm apart. I also tried it the other way around: I set wall thickness to 1.1mm, with an extrusion width of 0.4mm (hoping this would cause cura to "crush" the walls together, fusing them). In the resulting G-code the walls are 0.4mm apart, producing a 1.2mm wall. This means that if my extrusion multiplier is properly calibrated those 3 walls are barely touching. Test prints seem to confirm this - unless I set the extrusion multiplier to overextrude by more than 5% wall adhesion is very bad. So it seems Cura is relying on overextrusion and/or wobble to fuse the walls. Slic3r seems to do this differently and offers a very good explanation of this problem here: http://manual.slic3r.org/advanced/flow-math (sections "Extruding on top of a surface" and "Spacing paths")
  4. Thank you! I never would have thought that USB was just a plugin. I still think it's weird that the USB autodetection affects unrelated devices. On the other hand there are probably not many people out there with something like that fan controller still in active service.
  5. First of all I want to say I really like the software, and I hope I can reinstall it in the future. To do so I would request an option (maybe a commandline switch) to completely disable all USB features (autodetect, printing, everything else...), so all communication with the printer would be via SD-card. Currently I can't use Cura, because whenever I start it it seems to run its autodetect feature to look for printers. The problem with this is that I have a (very old) fan controller which is connected to my PC via USB, using an FTDI USB to serial chip (i.e. something very similar to the communication in a 3D printer). And apparently Cura sends some commands while autodetecting which are interpreted by my fan controller. These commands cause a change in one of the alarm temperature thresholds, which causes the alarm to go off. So when I first installed Cura i spent an hour frantically searching for the error (and then searching for the software for the fan controller), while my PC was emitting a loud beep every 3 seconds. The fan controller is a "T-Balancer BigNG", the company making it stopped supporting it years ago. However it is still working perfectly for me, controlling the fans in my PC. As a workaround I could disconnect the fan controller and run it in standalone mode. On the other hand it does seem a bit problematic that Cura's autodetect is causing random commands to unrelated devices. The arduino IDE and printrun/pronterface did not cause any problems. I did hit "connect" both in arduino and Pronterface while COM3 was selected (the port for my fan controller, the printer was on COM4), and neither caused any problems. Though I am sure I would have had all kinds of trouble if I had sent Marlin to the fan contoller. To be sure I even ran Cura again after I had set the alarm value back to the proper setting, and the problem came back. So it definitely is Cura messing with the settings of the fan controller. edit: changed title to the actual question
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!