Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Abrasive last won the day on February 1 2020

Abrasive had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

4 Neutral

Personal Information

  • Country
  • Industry

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Interesting, I've only done a little mold making myself. Polypropylene is also good for molds as you don't need a release agent. I'm not sure if it would be up to the heat for your task but it would be close. The CNC Kitchen did a video on polypropylene where he boiled water in it in the microwave I believe. Worth a watch if you have some time.
  2. What do you actually use it for? Polypropylene filament will have a much higher impact strength than polycarbonate. It can handle heat decently as well. It is more flexible but that can be offset by thickness/geometry depending on your application. Alternatively you can purchase Polymaker PolyMax and save the Ultimaker rebranding cost. I don't really think ABS has much of a place anymore as far as being the best material for an application as there are so many options now.
  3. Well I didn't do that, but more than 24 hours later it is still nice and snappy. So appears to possibly be related to being connected to the printer somehow. Does auto discovery try to do anything when you have no printers connected? When does auto discovery try to do things?
  4. I'll disconnect Cura from the printer, close it, open a new Cura and leave it open for a day or two to see if the same symptoms occur
  5. I don't really use it at all as the printer is close by. I do use the printer connectivity. Have used that all along to save myself from having to use sneakernet to transfer files to the printer. What conditions might those be?
  6. No plugins installed and I am using Windows 10 with the May 2019 update installed.
  7. I've noticed that when I changed versions of Cura from 4.2 to 4.3 that a new problem showed up. For context I generally leave Cura open all the time and up until now this has not been an issue. I am prototyping robot parts a lot of the time and when I get the print settings correct I will just keep Cura oepn to reduce the shance for error when swapping out the new prototype of a model to print. Lately if I leave Cura open for 24 hours it is using increased memory and CPU and is generally sluggish to use. If I leave it open 48 hours it is downright annoying to use it is so slow. Any long
  8. For regular polypropylene, packing tape made from polypropylene works great
  9. I came home the other day and my print had failed and the Y axis rail was laying on the table outside my printer. It had rust spots on it so I cleaned it off and began examining things. The rust was from what seems to be a linear rail bearing. I cleaned it out as much as I could and applied some more oil and was able to get a successful 8 hour print accomplished. However the next print ended up popping the rail off and failing. I Googled around a little to see where to buy the replacement bearing but it seems not obvious to find. This seems like an easy fix if I can get the correct replac
  10. I use Verbatim brand and they were all purchased new by me. Polypropylene doesn't absorb water so I don't believe that humidity is a factor. I also print Ninjatek Cheetah, Polymaker PC MAX and various PLA all which work great and I have no observed any change with them. Something changed that causes my polypropylene to print differently. I did update my firmware and upgrade from Cura 3.x to Cura 4.x around the time I started noticing the poorer print quality but unsure if that is related.
  11. My polypropylene prints started under extruding at some point in the last two months or so but I am not sure why. Could the firmware update cause this? I went from consistently good results to consistently under extruded.
  12. Polycarbonate seems to warp near the corners on long prints. A brim can mitigate some of that. Possibly an adhesive/tape of some sort may help but I have never deemed it worthwhile to experiment with that yet. Polypropylene I would suggest always printing with a brim. The only warping I have noticed is when there is a hole near a corner. To mitigate that I actually closed the hole in the 3D model with .4mm or so of material and cut it out after. If you have trouble getting it to stick clear packing tape has worked great for me. The downside is you get the profile of the air bu
  13. It would require a new sensor and firmware updates cannot add a new physical sensor, they can only read from an existing sensor if it exists.
  14. I use polycarbonate (white or black, NOT transparent) or polypropylene for functional prototypes. PLA is way too brittle and cracks/shatters easily. I prefer polypropylene as it is the hardest to break and can handle a ton of fatigue. Polypropylene's layer adhesion is stupidly good, far better than any other filament I have tried. Polymaker PolyMax/PC Max is identical to the Ultimaker Polycarbonate if you want to save some money. Also Verbatim polypropylene seems identical to Ultimaker polypropylene.
  • Create New...