Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Reverse_Engineer

Member
  • Content Count

    10
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

Personal Information

  • Country
    AU
  • Industry
    Engineering
  1. Hi guys I've been out of the loop since cura 3.8. I tried 4.2 today and I'm not getting an option to save as gcode. I can change the filename but my printer and/or octoprint won't print from it. I'm not getting an option to save as gcode, so maybe I'm just re-naming the 3mf file and not conveting it to gcode. Can someone point me in the right direction to catch up on 3mf and how to convert to gcode? I've been searching for about an hour and all I'm finding is redundant stuff that's not relevant. Do I have to upgrade octoprint or my firmware to print from 3mf. I'm using
  2. So I wasted another 100 metres or so of filament on this print with combing turned off, there was very little stringing until it got near the top of the print and then it seemed to make thicker strings than all the previous attempts. So anyway I viewed the layer view preview with the travels shown and it was generating travel paths in seemingly random places that went across the print where there was no material to be printed (just like the print did), it looked like a spider had moved in and made a web. So then I sliced the same file for another printer I have and all travel paths
  3. I don't know if you've printed it yet but another possibility would be to split the model into two parts and then glue or screw it together.That way you could print the face on its back and you'd only need supports under the two tabs on the front panel and along the slot on the stepper bracket. I'd split it along the red face on underside of the fascia in your model shown in your pic.
  4. Reprap printer - cartesian PETG filament 1.75mm Cura 3.6 So I'm trying to print some parts with that have an open section in the center - a bit like a coffee cup I suppose and I'm getting so much stringing in the center where there should be nothing that it's basically ruining my prints. I've tried playing around with retraction settings, temp settings and travel speed and nothing seems to change. So I observed a print and when the strings are created the nozzle travels across the center of the print to start a new layer but the extruder doesn't retract and filament oozes
  5. It's a bit hard to say without about a bit more detailed info on your settings. Just out of curiosity does the layer view still show areas with no fill if you set a finer layer height and width or set the shell wall thickness to a slightly lower value ?
  6. Sorry to drag this up again. I thought I had this solved, printing from Cura with a USB cable connected to my laptop resulted in three perfect prints last night. Then today I did a print of a Unicorn my daughter found on Thingiverse and it displayed repetitive layer shifts along the Y axis. I can't say for sure but this seems to be a different issue to what I had before, there's no extra paths being printed off the job just (roughly) 0.5 - 1mm layer shifts with the rest of the printing as normal. I'm still not discounting your advice obewan, your suggestion could be a g
  7. Sorry for the slow reply, don't you hate it when life gets in the way of your hobbies. I must admit I couldn't really get my head around the end-stop issue. I would have thought that would cause a layer shift or drift of some sort too. Anyway I ran a print through Cura over a USB connection to isolate the SD connection and remove that from the control loop. It worked perfectly and there's no more random stringing or unexpected movements off the print job. It seems that gr5 was on the right track, thanks mate! I was considering an octoprint setup,
  8. The firmware was already installed, it's Marlin 1.1 I believe. It's mid print right now & don't have a computer hooked up to it so I'm not sure if I can query the version right now. & I changed the SD card and played around re-seating it but it's still intermittently printing a mess off the job. I'll hook the the laptop up to it after the kids go to bed and query the Marlin version and run a print from USB to see if that proves or disproves the faulty contact on the SD card/slot. Thanks for the input obewan.
  9. That makes perfect sense, it's an intermittent thing that only happens sometimes. Thanks for taking the time to answer and help me out, I really appreciate it. I'm printing from an SD card that has an adaptor to fit a mini SD card, so there's a few possible bad connections in the chain. I'll change that and see how it goes. Thanks again, I never would have considered that to be the cause.
  10. Hi everyone I'm new to all this, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place or asking about something that's been answered ad nauseum. I'm using a newly acquired Tevo tornado and slicing my stl's with Cura 3.4.1 (appimage) on a linux host. Some of my jobs print fine but sometimes the nozzle will shoot off to the side or front of the job and keep extruding while it's off the print job. This is leaving unwanted strings all over the place. Sometimes it gets so bad the extraneous strings get caught up in a bundle which wraps around the the nozzle and ruins the p
×
×
  • Create New...