Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JackL

  1. From what I've gathered from this and from my experience, these "consistent inconsistent layers" seem to not be from the fault of the printer. In fact, I've observed from the Lulzbot Mini 2, Prusa i3 Mk3 (to a lesser extent), and my BLV MGN Cube that I've built. So, I tried printing a few things and showing them to people like family and friends and nobody commented on the lines. So, I just accepted the fact that I was being a bit of a perfectionist and stopped caring too much about it. Some prints I've found really aren't effected by it that much, and I have gotten some pretty good prints tha
  2. I apologize for not posting in a while. I haven't been able to work on this since it was close to the end of the semester at my school, and then I got caught up with a few things in summer. However, I did manage to get a 3D printer I've been building (I've been building my own BLV MGN Cube, with a custom frame), and while running test prints, I ran into the same problem that I did before, with consistent uneven layer lines. However, this time I know it's most likely not attributable to faults with the Z-axis (for those who didn't click the link, this printer has a dual Z-axis motor setup) beca
  3. Ok, so I've been trying a few different things and started printing things because I can kind of live with the very small uneven layers on bigger prints. I can tell that it is not the temperature that's the cause of anything. I also downloaded the Creawesome mod for Cura and that seemed to reduce the issues and get rid of that tiny layer shift. Even though the Creawesome mod did reduce some effect of the lines on the test cube (not the one I made), the lines were still there.) Yesterday, I designed a stand for a floppy cube (yes I am a cuber) as seen below. However, on the fini
  4. Ok, I apologize for the delay, I got caught up with a few things the past few days. So I tried printing something bigger, and the effect was greatly reduced. However, the lines still appear to be there on each print, though very subtle. I made something like the ripple test that I was using in Autodesk Inventor, but made it bigger (30mm x 30mm x 30mm) and with no letters or dots in it. I notice that the lines still happened in the same layers between these 2 prints. One of these was printed 10 degrees cooler(printed at 190 degrees), but I cant tell which one just by looking at them. I'll try a
  5. Ok, I know this has been a while from my previous updates, but I got caught up working on another project. So I have cleaned the Z-Axis thoroughly and lubricated it again, and although the effect seems reduced, though still notable. The print on the left is at 20mm/s (no speed settings above that speed) and the right is at my normal 50mm/s default settings. The uneven layers still seem to occur at around the same layers. What should I try next? What else could be causing this? Could this be something like Z-Wobble?
  6. Yea.. so after trying a few different things I found that I am still getting the same results.
  7. Ok, so I've tried cleaning the Z-axis screws and relubricating them, and I've also autotuned PID and set it. However, I still don't see much improvement. I'll try some more things related to these tomorrow and see if anything changes.
  8. So I've had my Ender 3 for a while, and I've recently finished 2 upgrades for it: I've upgraded my motherboard to a MKS Gen 1.4 with TMC 2208 Stepper Drivers (from Waterott) for X, Y, Z, and E that are currently in the legacy mode (not using one-time-program or using UART), and I've added the Petsfang Duct with a 5015 blower fan, and replaced the hotend fan with a 40x40x20 12V Noctua (I wanted to see how it compared to the 40x40x10 12V Noctua for anyone wondering). Once I finished, I started printing calibration cubes (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1278865) and found inconsistent line
  9. So I tried doing this and ended up with all the dots on one side, which makes it seem like it is the transition to the outer layer that causes the dots. However, that also raises the question, why does it happen to some layers and not others?
  10. I tried changing the settings to all at 25mm/s and I still ended up with the same results in the images from before.
  11. So I tried some of the settings you suggested, only changing the settings above 25mm/s to it and leaving the rest that were slower than 25mm/s. However, I still got the same resulting bumps, which the only difference was that they were a tiny bit smaller. - Combing turned off did fix those random lines on the deck. - I stopped the print early because the rest of Benchy isn't necessary to for this problem. **Ultimaker Cura settings used. The speeds changed to 25mm/s were originally faster than that, and I left the slower speeds.** **TOP/SIDE 1 VIEW: There
  12. So I have some experience with 3D printing, doing it at my school. But recently, I got a new Ender 3, and so I'm need to learn Ultimaker Cura, which I thought would be good to use for it. In adding some basic upgrades to the printer, I thought it would be a good idea to get some benchmark using 3D Benchy. On my first print of Benchy, I saw some salmon skin artifacts, as well as some random bumps on the sides of the Benchy, and some random lines on the deck. So I installed some TL Smoothers and printed the same Gcode. On the result, most of the salmon skin was gone. However, the other problems
  • Create New...