Replacement Motors

Posted · Replacement Motors

I want to upgrade the stepper motors on my Ultimaker, but I don't know what I should be looking for. I know the form factor is NEMA 17, which has a 42mmx42mm housing, but there seems to be quite a lot of variety. I would just purchase the ones from Ultimachine as I have heard people recommend, but I have been watching their space for a while now and they are never in stock, so I would like to source my own.

Can anyone say what sort of specs I should be looking for?

1. Type (pretty sure they are Bipolar, Hybrid)

2. Holding Torque (Length of my current motors are ~33mm, which compared to other similar sized motors should give it a torque between 16 and 22 Ncm, I'm guessing I want higher than that)

3. Voltage/Amperage (The motors on Ultimachine.com are rated at 4.2V, 1.5A, are there any voltages/amperages that should be avoided? What is the hardware capable of putting out?)

4. Resistance (Ultimachine = 2.8 ohm)

5. Inductance (Ultimachine = 4.8 Mh)

6. Other?

Thanks

Hi

This is the spec sheet for the ones that were in my UM (Sticker on the side says SY42STH33-1334A), which are bi-polar

http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/pdf/steppermotors/SY42STH33-1334A.pdf

I've got http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/pdf/steppermotors/SY42STH47-1684B.pdf

which I got from http://www.mendel-parts.com/index.php/stepper-motor-nema17-incl-molex-connector.html

By the spec sheet voltage is the same and the current and torque is higher, which is what you want. Having the same step angle is preferable but you can get around this with settings I think.

They have a bit of shaft hanging out the back so they're not ideal but they do fit.

I have tested that they spin when connected and operated from the control panel and am in the process of mounting them.

Hopefully I will be using them tomorrow.

I can let you know how they go if you like.

Let me know if you need any explanation of any part of the spec sheets. I have a basic understanding and did a lot of research yesterday.

I noticed those Motors were out of stock from Ultimachine and was thrilled to find these ones I already have will probably work.

Owen.

Great Information!

It looks like all the steppers used for these sorts of projects are about 2.8V, with the amperage increasing with the torque. I wonder if it would be worth it to explore using a higher voltage/lower amp motor? There are also some of these for sale.

The better steppers being used for upgrades appear to all have a torque of about 44, expressed in either g/cm or Ncm. For anyone interested here is an good link for converting torque to a different scale.

http://www.numberfactory.com/nf_torque.html

There are some heavier motors with holding torque as high as 65 or 80, but be cautious of the overall length which increases with more torque. There is only so much room in the ultimaker for the X and Y steppers (about 55mm or a little more), the motors at ~44Ncm seem to all have a length under 50mm so should be a safe bet.

Let us know how your upgrade turned out,

Cheers!

Great Information!

It looks like all the steppers used for these sorts of projects are about 2.8V, with the amperage increasing with the torque. I wonder if it would be worth it to explore using a higher voltage/lower amp motor? There are also some of these for sale.

The better steppers being used for upgrades appear to all have a torque of about 44, expressed in either g/cm or Ncm. For anyone interested here is an good link for converting torque to a different scale.

http://www.numberfactory.com/nf_torque.html

There are some heavier motors with holding torque as high as 65 or 80, but be cautious of the overall length which increases with more torque. There is only so much room in the ultimaker for the X and Y steppers (about 55mm or a little more), the motors at ~44Ncm seem to all have a length under 50mm so should be a safe bet.

Let us know how your upgrade turned out,

Cheers!

Upgrade went pretty good. I replaced X,Y and Extruder. Motors are running much cooler. I also turned up the jump speeds in Netfabb and I think it's extruding more consistently as well. Not conclusive on performance as I didn't benchmark anything previously but even just the cooler running temp is a good thing.

Hi owen,

which exact stepper did you take in the end? i am looking for a replacement, too.

a link would b great!

regards

ji

Hi ji

I already had these ones here http://www.mendel-parts.com/index.php/stepper-motor-nema17-incl-molex-connector.html so I used them.

They have the shaft coming out the back which isn't needed.

I think the stepper motors in the Ulti are bigger now than back then as well but not sure.