Hot End v2 Unveiled?

Posted · Hot End v2 Unveiled?

The hot end v1 is now listed as out of stock in the shop, so I guess that means they offer the new one soonish. Hopefully my springs have arrived (costs 4$, shipping 5$) but I could not find strong enough ones at bunnings (=useless shop anyway).

Nope, these wooden parts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultimaker/6244028047/

Yes, the electronics fan is a bitch, mine starts of very loud and goes silent after 10 minutes.

what is the exact description or parts name for the fan ?

I am going to get a new one on ebay and see if its louder than my official ultimaker tractor.

thanks.

Ian

We are working very hard to make the new hot end available for y'all!

Most likely tomorrow or the day after, but it will be accompanied with a blog post so keep an eye

out for this.

I would just like to add to this discussion, we have had several printers printing over 58 hours non stop

without any problem (except running out of filament).

I didn't read the thread completely, but I didn't see the YouTube link of Martijn's talk so far. Here you go:

I've tested the new kit myself for the last two months and believe me: It's trouble free.

Now we only need an slightly tuned extruder clamp (like Bertho's mod) and we're done with a very reliable machine.

I've tested the new kit myself for the last two months and believe me: It's trouble free.

Did you have one with the same white clips? Because I installed my beta kit on the Ultimaker from Fablab Amersfoort last week. And when I visited this week the Bowden tube had moved up.

I think this tube has a slightly lower OD, causing the slipping problems. I installed a special nut to keep the tube in place, I hope it holds. But with the same white clips, this won't be the end of the popping problems. (It did not have a plug, so I could very easy fix the problem, that was a HUGE bonus)

I have the old white clip from the beta test kits and hadn't problems anymore. But I would love to see the clip replaced by something more robust as well.

I funny thing is that a bit of slipping shouldn't disturb your printing too much with the new design, but that's another story (and not "the perfect solution"). I'm pretty sure this is a good fix for everybody. In my opinion this leaves us with two remaining things:

a) New extruder clamp (spring loaded (for filament variance) + bearing (for better retraction capabilities))

b) Tube with bigger ID. There's no real reason not to have it a little bit bigger in order to enable people to print with either crap filament or with filament which was flattened by the current extruder clamp (see point a)).

I funny thing is that a bit of slipping shouldn't disturb your printing too much with the new design, but that's another story (and not "the perfect solution"). I'm pretty sure this is a good fix for everybody.
    That's very true! They are feeding this printer at Fablab Amersfoort short pieces of 10cm filament, so they get lots of different colors. This is what caused it finally to jam up when the bowden tube moved up so far that the filament could get next to each-other. If you are using just 1 color, then I think the tube can move up almost all the way before you have real problems.

When would it be available on the UM store?

It's been announced for this week, and I'm growing impatient :)

Most likely tomorrow. I hope.

Yes, definitely tomorrow!

We have just finished all arrangements and it is ready to go.

So i guess i will be talking to y'all tomorrow then :)

I hope you guys have lots of them ready to go... I get the impression that there is going to be a run on these as soon as they're listed. I hope they don't sell out within minutes of being posted ;)

I have not had any issues with plugs for months... until just last week... Now I am not able to get through even a small print without a plug forming... So I'm one of the ones lining up to buy the V2 hot end as soon as it's out.

Cheers,

Troy

Will newly ordered machines come with the new v2 hot end? Or should I wait until after the announcement?

Will newly ordered machines come with the new v2 hot end? Or should I wait until after the announcement?

Newly ordered machines will ship with the V2 hotend from the moment the V2 hotend is available in the shop. (Harma from UM confirmed that for me today)

I hope you guys have lots of them ready to go... I get the impression that there is going to be a run on these as soon as they're listed. I hope they don't sell out within minutes of being posted ;)
    I've heard the initial stock number, and I don't think you have to worry. They learned from the UltiController stock problems.

If you haven't heard it yet, please read the following new blog :)

http://blog.ultimaker.com/2012/09/07/1504/

Ordered.

Interesting... In the picture the bowden clip looks exactly the same, only it's all blue instead of white with a blue horseshoe. Is it really different from the current one?

Cheers,

Troy.

Yes it is a slightly different bowden clip.

Good to see it is finally out but at €91 shipped I think I'll wait a bit and see what other peoples experience with it is like first. I know you've done extensive testing in the office but nothing beats actual testing in the wild :)

Ordered. A bit expensive indeed but 'plugs' made me go mad the other day (got it working again though :-))

It's good to see new improvements on the machine. XYZ and overall mechanical construction are pretty good. The filament feeder and the hot end were the points of attention. The hot end is now upgraded and I hope the V3 bolt (also ordered today) will prevent some grinding. The feeder mechanism can use a bearing update to replace the white slider part :-). I'm pretty sure that's a rather easy adjustment.

Now on to the heated bed/ solution for easy removal of the printed part off the bed! That'll be a very nice improvement as well.

Please keep the updates going

Michael

out of interest, does anyone know why the new hotend says "temporary v2 hot end upgrade" on the supplied bag?

I was hoping for something more permanent ;)

I was going to ask about that too... I received mine today and tried to install it.. but I've borked my machine in the process of removing the old one... :(

it's a shame it didn't come with a heater and thermocouple, it would have been nice to at least have used the other head as second head instead of trying to cannabilise it. double shame given the cost.

Indeed.. You can't buy two for dual extrusion without those components.

Does anyone know how long the turn-around to answer an email usually is for UM support? I emailed them yesterday and have not ad anything at all back yet.