Ultimaker 2 Frame :)

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 Frame :)

Hi,

while i was searching ultimaker 2 i found very detailed 3d model of it. i prepare autocad file for cnc cutting. so this is the conclusion i have been so far :)

...um2.jpg.82d9d5f80f8741550194583b19e71b8c.jpg

um2.jpg.82d9d5f80f8741550194583b19e71b8c.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted · Ultimaker 2 Frame :)

Hey, this looks great. It would be a fun project. Did you end up buying a printer or getting this one finished?

actually i am waiting for 6mm aleminum composite sheet to make it another one...

it will be better quality than the original...

What i need to finish are:

-x,y z and feeder motors and feeder mechanism

-Heated bed and 4mm aleminum part underneath of it.

-motherboard and LCD unit. ( knoob and knoobhousing is problem for me to find. they will be 3d printed by someone

-whole extruder unit

And of course 4 set of plastic slider

complicated thing is the motors... i need to find polou motors which seems close to original ones...

hi, could you share the files for cnc, i want to make a ultimaker 2 myself like you, but i can't find the files( CNC format)

I am sorry sharkuli, my file is unique to our italian cnc machine. even if i share i dont think it will help you to make it another one. Also I dont want to disrespect people who create UM2 and sell it on market. that's why i am not sharing it on web...

Have you seen the parts available here ?

yes, Some of them reasonable to buy but i generally use aliexpress and ebay...

Ok cool.

hi, could you share the files for cnc, i want to make a ultimaker 2 myself like you, but i can't find the files( CNC format)

I am sorry sharkuli, my file is unique to our italian cnc machine. even if i share i dont think it will help you to make it another one. Also I dont want to disrespect people who create UM2 and sell it on market. that's why i am not sharing it on web...

I understand, but the ultimaker team shared their printer on youmagine, 3d model and parts, i just lack the skill to transform the step files to dwg or dxf for cnc, i think i will use aluminium profile 2020 for the frame, it wont be the same :(

If you change your mind...

i will post my printer once i finish it :D

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

You should share :D aliexpress sells um2 frames (they don't look really really good) at 230€.

Aftermarket it's a reality of a great opensource machine. Anyhow I preffer to buy to ultimaker, except the parts they don't make. I got a full wood frame from ultimaker original for 100€ and the quality of the wood and laser is just perfect. I tryed sourcing the wood parts locally but the wood it's hard to find and also was more expensive.

• Like 1

You should share :Daliexpress sells um2 frames (they don't look really really good) at 230€.

Aftermarket it's a reality of a great opensource machine. Anyhow I preffer to buy to ultimaker, except the parts they don't make. I got a full wood frame from ultimaker original for 100€ and the quality of the wood and laser is just perfect. I tryed sourcing the wood parts locally but the wood it's hard to find and also was more expensive.

I have checked the aliexpress. ... There is also UM2 extended frame but they just strech as it is. They did not even put extra support holes in between. Sides are the same material...they are not good enough...plexiglass sides cost me 30 euros...

Today I was assembling the wood frame and this happened.

image.thumb.jpg.8849dc4617dcbdef6c5c1d21f7775d04.jpg

The laser cut side blocks are tilted. :(hopefully ultimaker will replace this panel so I can build this someday... I think I'll have to just print new side blocks and the extruder wheel (aso tilted). /sulk

Also the panel has the sides tilted so the bearing fits just a little tiny bit tilted... Omg it's going to be a real pain to change it and to wait.....

image.thumb.jpg.8849dc4617dcbdef6c5c1d21f7775d04.jpg

Edited by Guest

Seems a waste of time to continue building... I assume support will send you new panels? Did you call them?

I posted a ticket. A shame I had this as my last holyday week to build this peacefully. Now I'll have to do it in lapses of 30mins each day

neotko, my blocks were just like that. All this time I've blamed the fact that I painted the wood, but seems to be a production problem. I carried on and assembles like that, caused no problems on the machine. However, I'd recommend printing some slider like the ones in the GT2 vs MXL thread, they are much better than oem.

• Like 1

neotko, my blocks were just like that. All this time I've blamed the fact that I painted the wood, but seems to be a production problem. I carried on and assembles like that, caused no problems on the machine. However, I'd recommend printing some slider like the ones in the GT2 vs MXL thread, they are much better than oem.

Wow. Thanks macua. Yesterday I left the printer working on that to keep on assembling. Hopefully the angle on the bearing won't affect much.

These are the blocks I use, and they made a huge different to assembling the head and gantry. Made much quicker as there are no adjustments to make every time (making sure everything is square). Highly recommended, and I think even more so if you went down the GT2 route.

I printed this x2 https://www.youmagine.com/designs/twisterblocks since they seems nice and work for gt2 and mx. My gt2 belt/pulleys won't arrive until the end of the month so for now I'll use mx. They seem really nice from what I saw on the gt2 post