Why does my print have tiny zebra stripes?

Wisar

Posted · Why does my print have tiny zebra stripes?

STOP ASSUMING IT'S INFILL.  It's not infill.  If it were infill it would have not been diagonal.  Also people have tried different amounts of infill and it made no difference.

Now looking at the gray/blue/black boats I'm not surprised that different colors act differently.  

Some colors/brands just print much nicer.

Ahahahah :)

STOP ASSUMING IT'S INFILL.  

This homey got nothing left to try. He and his buddy Joel just want a purty shippy!

It may not be the infill but raising the infill percentage has masked what ever the problem is. I have no less than five other prints in that same grey filament, with lower levels of infill, and various other differing parameters, that all exhibit the zebra effect. Don't know if this is a clue......

Will

Well I kept my infill the same for all of my prints. Just messed around with acceleration and jerk on the firmware side and orientation of the print on the software side.

Sorry I didn't actually jot down which one didn't have the zebra stripes but I'm assuming it was the one I printed on a 45 degree angle since I only did that once and there is only one print I've done without the zebra pattern.

Can't reprint right now as I've got a few prints in queue already. Maybe in a few days I can come back to this.

I have this issue as well. It doesn't appear to be caused by ringing or infill. It seems more like it's 'steps' of the motor on the XY when it's doing very fine curves.

I've uploaded a model for everyone to test out. It's curved so it shouldn't experience ringing issues, and there is no infill so we can eliminate that right off the bat.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/curve-test-print

When I print it, there are certainly noticable vertical stepping on the Y edge. And diagonal stepping on the X edge. (this is because the X edge is very slightly twisted. Ripples on the Long diagonal edge similar to the boat.

I'm doing more testing, but wanted to make the file available for people to try out.

Interesting. Been trying to figure this one out as well lately for a customer. Not diagonal stripes as much as purely vertical on a very "softly" curved surface. This is what I've tested:

- Latest firmware

- 15.02.1 firmware

- 13.12 firmware

- Acceleration changed to 200 (from 3000)

- Jerk changed to 5 (from 20)

- Lowered speed to 25mm/s from 50mm/s. Makes it sliiightly less pronounced.

- Tried slicing with KISSlicer

- Tested without any infill

- Tried on at least three printers.

- Tried rotating the model so that one side was as close to perpendicular to the axes as possible. This increased the distance between ridges on that side while the other remained the same.

Maybe someone who is familiar with the firmware could see if there's something in there causing it? Something with the step precision on the steppers? Or is it something with the drivers? Or something else. I dunno, I'm tired as hell and I don't konw what I'm typing.

Posted (edited) · Why does my print have tiny zebra stripes?

IMG_20150615_202948-e1434415028412-1024x576.jpg

Here is my test piece. I printed a few. It does this with the UMO+ and Extended so far. The UMO+ is much more pronouced than the extended though, but same thing.

It looks a lot worse than it is in the picture because I used a flashlight to highlight the issue. But none the less it's there in both prints. Cura 15.01.

Someone have a different slicer they want to try on the same object?

Edited by Guest

Simplify3D produces the same striping effect on my Ultimaker 2. However....I also get that effect on my Wanhao Duplicator 4S which is not the case when printing #3DBenchy which prints clean on the Duplicator.

Maybe cura is cutting the polys in weird ways, leaving pinching at those spots? these are issues i can never understand!

try cura 15.02.01 i really dont know the difference, everthing has printed identically the same for me from the past curas, only the support has changed to being much thinner for PLA for me, which was amazing!

I can try printing it if you like, but i dont think that will help you?

'The extended is much more pronounced than the extended? you mean the UMO+?

\

Here is my test piece. I printed a few. It does this with the UMO+ and Extended so far. The extended is much more pronouced than the extended though, but same thing.

I can try printing it if you like, but i dont think that will help you?

I would appreciate it if you (or anyone else!) could print the piece that I started this thread with: #3DBenchy. It is growing in popularity as a "fun" calibration challenge and it seems like there are Ultimakers that can not do it without it looking like a zebra. It can be printed at the fast setting and exhibit the issue so it is a pretty quick print.

I am curious as to whether it is all Ultimakers or only some that have an issue with it.

Thanks,

Will

'The extended is much more pronounced than the extended? you mean the UMO+?

\

Oh yes, that's what I meant. :Pchanged it.

I'd be interested to know how it prints, if you wanna print the boat great! Or the curvey piece I posted great too! If you wanna use less filament and isolate the variables the curvey piece is better but you don't get a boat by the end of it :p

I have tried both Cura 13, and 15. I've tried it on a UMO now as well and it's still there.

I am curious as to whether it is all Ultimakers or only some that have an issue with it.

So far it seems to be all models of the UMs. I did UMO+, UMO, UM2EXT. I'm pretty certain the 2Go and UM2 do it as I've noticed this before on other objects.

Edited by Guest

Maybe both if we say please? The ship illustrates zebra stripes at all resolutions so it can be a fast print!

The reason that I suggest the boat is due to my Wanhao Duplicator 2 also having a problem with your test piece while it prints the ship fine. I was hoping that we have a better chance of getting attention from Ultimaker if the problem was Ultimaker specific.

IMG_2039_2.jpg

On the other hand the challenge that you put up might be a lot wider in terms of interest! I have also posted a request on 3D Hubs to have Ultimaker owners try the ship print.

Will

WIll try tonight on my dying coupler. ill do the boat, but i get those subltle lines quite regularly, i thought that is just an unfixable issue?

here is something similar on roberts feeder i still have about.

20150616_175316.thumb.jpg.818481a4b361c20140b468100d9f2310.jpg

why the kinda shadows of the hole after it, weird, but purely cosmetic. Not an issue on massive surfaces as uyou can easily sand filla them. some subtle vertical lines too, oh well not too bothered about that.

Edited by Guest

why the kinda shadows of the hole after it, weird, but purely cosmetic. Not an issue on massive surfaces as uyou can easily sand filla them. some subtle vertical lines too, oh well not too bothered about that.

This is actually ringing and is a different issue which is quite solvable unlike the zebra stripes we're talking about.

If you lower your acceleration settings down to about 1500, you'll get rid of the 'shadow'.

This is why I made the curvey piece, so there are no sharp corners to introduce ringing and no infill to confuse the issue.

• Like 1

Good to know! and even better to know how to sort it, but i really don't mind it as its for a functional piece rather than a cosmetic one. Its needs to work more than it needs to look good.

IMG_20150615_202948-e1434415028412-1024x576.jpg

Here is my test piece. I printed a few. It does this with the UMO+ and Extended so far. The UMO+ is much more pronouced than the extended though, but same thing.

It looks a lot worse than it is in the picture because I used a flashlight to highlight the issue. But none the less it's there in both prints. Cura 15.01.

Someone have a different slicer they want to try on the same object?

I just printed your test:

WP_20150616_004.thumb.jpg.9a6d2566cccd373aaa2912178c7e8576.jpg

Yep I get ugly artifacts. Both vertical and diagonal.

I'm not going to complain as I mostly print organic models and am happy with results like these:

WP_20150616_007.thumb.jpg.26a2eb95c6fc12a5a575e47cc6707633.jpg

(except for a lot of bad overhangs on the underside, which you never see anyway).

WP_20150616_004.thumb.jpg.9a6d2566cccd373aaa2912178c7e8576.jpg

WP_20150616_007.thumb.jpg.26a2eb95c6fc12a5a575e47cc6707633.jpg

Yep I get ugly artifacts. Both vertical and diagonal.

That skull is impressive! I guess the printer was tied up for a while.

Where you able to print the little ship by any chance?

Thanks,

Will

Nice skull! But if there is a firmware issue or other that's causing this, better it be resolved and you'll get even BETTER looking stuff.

Sorry for hijacking your ship thread btw...

Good morning guys!

i asked around here in the office. and it might be the combin feature that is messing up the surface quality.

i'll print some tests with and without them. as well as on the new beta cura. (that might have it fixed already). i'll get back to you on this

• Like 1

We gave it a try and can confirm that it is the inner infill structure affecting the outside of the hull. Please read this article for more information. The attached image in this post also illustrates our result.

5a330ebdddec4_3DBenchy_Cura_Infill_Artefacts.thumb.jpg.1fd178ee598158ddf15a541786178ee4.jpg

5a330ebdddec4_3DBenchy_Cura_Infill_Artefacts.thumb.jpg.1fd178ee598158ddf15a541786178ee4.jpg

:-o

Hopefully Team Ultimaker will keep an eye on both!

:-o

Hopefully Team Ultimaker will keep an eye on both!

i'll punish valcrow acordingly :angry: :p

Edited by Guest

We gave it a try and can confirm that it is the inner infill structure affecting the outside of the hull. Please read this article for more information. The attached image in this post also illustrates our result.

You can make that go away by adding a shell...here are a couple of images from my testing.  Both are based on the Fast profile with theonly changes being the extruder going from 220 to 210 after the first layer, a 15 second minimum layer time, and two shells for the lower print, which I aborted, and three shells for the upper.

Shippy1.jpg

The zebra lines on the cabin, which I think I can make out on your print, are not tied to the infill and will not go away.  

Shippy3.jpg

Thanks for printing it though!  Try another?

Shippy2.jpg

Edited by Guest

Try another?

Thats for sure! We will post more images soon.

Regarding the stripes it is strange that this seems to be typical when #3DBenchy is printed via Cura. Hopefully the Ultimaker team will find a good solution. :)

I try to print everything without any infill if possible, that is the benfit of a thicker shell. I did see some artifacts on my older models, but now think i can crank my prints up to 70mm/s instead of my current 35mm/s, thanks to this news.