Fatal Under extrusion, Top layers looks REAlly BAD,

Posted (edited) · Fatal Under extrusion, Top layers looks REAlly BAD,

If it doesnt work, then try to print the model hollow with support everywhere ticked, and 100% infill, that way you determine how thick the walls are and the support will let you do the flat bits, but dont add the bottom or else it will not work. Remember to not close your model though as if its closed it wont do support and e top will fail.That should work 100percent.

And regarding the screw and the feeder, i hear you, it doesnt do anything. i ended up snapping my alan key on it, lol. I just put it back, as it was not even sure of how i twisted the screw back properly or not. I put it on backwards first time by mistake and it was in reverse, lol!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Fatal Under extrusion, Top layers looks REAlly BAD,

can you check if the little side fans are working? Lately I had two printers (UMO) printing the same objects at the same time and one of them showed problems like yours. The difference was that on the bad one the fan stopped working (UMO only has one fan).

First question, what version of Cura are you using?

Do you have the same behaviour with another color? White filament gave me problems too when printing some architectural models like yours. The white color pigment makes it harder to print.

If you have feeder issues you can print the awesome feeder that IRobertI created, i made a tutorial on how to change it here if you want.

How does the print look?

I have given up on all feeders, and have not looked back, I just measure off what i want before hand and balance it on the roll holder. I waste the length of the bowden tube every time, but get a perfect print every time. I think the trade off is well worth it. I found that rolls of filament just don't unwind without snags all the time and when they snag, they instantly create print lines on you model which is annoying, even worse, a fuzzy layer. then when it clears a perfect layer on top.

Roberts feeder is meant to feed the plastic in better, but i cant be bothered anymore, and don't think it will make so much difference. as my pfte coupler is dead, so i need to separately feed in filament by hand manually each time anyways. and with the filament off the roll i have no issues with it, so i dont need the feeder.

Edited by Guest

Here comes another theory: check the plugins page to make sure you have not inadvertently set the extruder temperature from layer 1 upwards to go too low. Happened to me - I had used Tweak-at-Z for a previous print and forgot about it, only to find mysterious problems with subsequent prints.

This might explain why your bottom layer is perfect, and goes down the pan from there.

An obvious test to run is to download a suitable model from Youmagine or thingiverse and print that. If that shows the same horrible problems, then you might have a dead duck on your hands.

Also, reset you UM2 to factory settings, and do likewise for Cura. Then have another go. That will help to eliminate really difficult to find issues. You won't really lose much by doing this since factory defaults are spot on for almost everything with the UM2 and Cura.

What thickness is the 'floor' you are filling in? Watching my printer do a similar job, it took at least 3 layers at 0.1mm to fill in most of the holes. It could be that that layer is only 0.2mm deep and it only gets a single covering.

Your infill, although not perfect, is not too bad. Walls look OK as well.

I also think that if under extrusion was the problem you would not get that coil of material at the very start of the extrusion, ( bottom right of the image ).

new attempt, after doing several times the Atomic method... after levelling the build plate...

using

0.2 layer thickness,

30 mm/2

1.2 top bottom thickness

215 degreees

25 infill

don't know what else to say

[media=2696][/media]

everyone has a different theory about whats going on...

Should i change  the nozzle?

Any new pictures? try it at 60mm/s and layer height 0.1 or something. or just slice off a section and try lots of different things, other wise 54 hours is a long wait for a fail. I have not really had any fails after the initial first month of owning the printer. Like someone said here on the forum. The UM2 is very nicely calibrated with cura out of the box, so if you use that you really should not have too many issues trying the settings shown. I only had this weird problem when i had the top/bot at 0.8. As soon as i made the top/bottom 1.2 in both boxes i had no issues what so ever.

The ONLY settings I use for what its worth!

If i print 0.1 I use 50mm/s as the speed thats the only thing i change.

setts.thumb.jpg.a165260e916108fffc71e5fb6da74405.jpg

setts.thumb.jpg.a165260e916108fffc71e5fb6da74405.jpg

Edited by Guest

[media=2760][/media]

the top layers still sucks...

[media=2762][/media]

and the walls sucks too

Ok another weird theory. It's the room hot? Maybe your machine board steppers are overheating?

but at least doesn't seems like underextrussion

well, its summer here...

:)

and the motors are quite warm...

You are correct, the walls are really poor!

Don't think they are due to a Z axis problem because the lines don't cross the doorway. Going back to extrusion again I'm afraid.

I now see why your prints take so long. ( do not try ABS with this sort of model, it would be almost impossible to keep it on the build plate ).

[media=2762][/media]

and the walls sucks too

so whats The problem!?

im getting really annoyed... because i don't know what else to do...

What are those settings you printed with now?

as compared to the settings you printed with before? did you play with temps, how many passes does it make for the floor. Like folks said if its one, aim for like 3-4 to be safe. with shell and walls  1.2 you should not be having problems, do a few more atomic pulls and try printing something with the filament cut off the roll to eliminate snags on the filament and the feeder. Go from there. Change one thing at a time and you'll figure it out.

off the roll test removed any weird lines for me. This is how i print every time now. Never looked back. It gives you the smoothest possible result no matter what kind of feeder you use period. It eliminates ANY possible chances of serious snags and poor feeder behavior. This completely eliminated the clicking sound for me which i admit had me wanting to smash the printer on a few occasions. But I'm very happy now I know how to deal with any issues, and I hope you sort yours out too. Once you do, you'll be fine.

20150425_140758.thumb.jpg.2f7d7517bd0c9ce09ce1a7f4ec49e101.jpg

20150425_140758.thumb.jpg.2f7d7517bd0c9ce09ce1a7f4ec49e101.jpg

Edited by Guest

Systematically change each setting at a time noting down when things improve. Its the only way im afraid, kinda like assigning IRQ ports back in the day, lol.

well i think it has smth to do with my nozzle...

its has been printing like 1500 hours...

Maybe, i have to admit i have no idea what a bad nozzle print looks like. can you print anything right or just what you have been trying.

try printing the ultimaker robot on its back. i just did to see how the flat top cam out and one side looks slightly better than the other for some reason, but seeing as im going to acetone it later i dont mind, as long as the layers are perfectly aligned i dont care. Something looks wrong with your layer height alignment thats for sure. maybe dirt in the twisty thing the build plate moves up and down on or in the holes. Im sure you've cleaned it. Try another nozzle, they arent expensive, not that ive changed any, but i also have been printing very heavily since i got it and its seems to be going strong? I regularly did 54 hours long prints too so im not sure what your issue is.

Until you do tests and post them regularly, you wont fix your issues unless you do it on your own. how can people help you if you dont show your progress?

This is everything stock with my posted setting above but infill 20. Try printing it really small see what happens. Just try loads of things before you replace the head, i thought my head was ruined at one time as well but realized i didnt do atomic pulls correctly and had the printer in a room that had way too much air conditioning. all the top layers looked exactly like yours and the sides too. Everything was melted and looked weird. even worse than yours. but i managed to sort it. now even with my dying coupler i can still print stuff manually doing all the feeding and pre heating my self.

20150615_232754.thumb.jpg.95530e5a9df06629bbdf3e827d31e7c9.jpg

20150615_232754.thumb.jpg.95530e5a9df06629bbdf3e827d31e7c9.jpg

Hey Cloack Fiend, the last Thing i printed was yesterday and i indeen showed you my Progress... today, im going to print smth small and then see what happens... ill try the ultimaker Robot as you told me...

Yesterday i tried to do the underextrusion test from iluminarti... It was a total failure!!!!!

btw, i like your methof of feeding the machine, but what happen when you Need like say 45 meter Filament?

i ordered  an Olson block yesterday,... and i think it can be my nozzle, because, i was printing a lot of bronzefill and Xt the las couple of days...  do you have a link to the RIGHT atomic Method? maybe i was doing it wrong.

Edited by Guest

Its hard to explain, you can tell from the tip if you are getting it into all ares of the head to clean, the bit you pull out should look like this in my opinion. And ignore the neck as my coupler is faulty! If it doesnt look like this, (at the tip) you are doing it wrong.... or something is wrong. Im gonna do a video guide today about this maybe, as like making a cake, its different reading something to actually seeing someone doing it.

20150616_141130.thumb.jpg.0fa09a46a96fb95f9414e5e5fbb15e2a.jpg

And regarding the 45 meter filament, i think it would be far wiser printing it in parts and then assembling it later. Big things are easy to join compared to small things. My robot is split as i did it to avoid the lame bottoms and will just glue it or acetone it together later. Here are the original files, mine is slightly larger as its quite detailed and i want to chrome it up later. The manual supports i added for the overhanged stuff is OK not perfect one fell down, but as a 5 Hr test it came out just fine. I had more issues taking it off the plate as i used way too much glue and ended up tearing most of his face off with pliers pulling him off.

I printed mine 1.6 scale as well BTW. So import the OBJs and have a go if you want with all my setting i posted. Youll need to rotate them and lay them flat, and ill admit i didnt split them in the best place, but they fit together perfecttly afterwards, and ill show you the final result when im done.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pprq9hnmj1jjwno/AAD00OHOq82FMWy1EVV1Z_Tha?dl=0

20150616_141130.thumb.jpg.0fa09a46a96fb95f9414e5e5fbb15e2a.jpg

Edited by Guest