Problem like stringing but different

gms

Posted · Problem like stringing but different

It looks like very-easy-to-clean stringing - not too bad - it's hard to say - this looks much better than the photos from before which looked like a disaster. The walls of the rims look perfect, right? It's hard to tell - when I click on your photo it doesn't zoom in (like some photos do on this forum).

What are you printing on? Is it flat? It doesn't look flat. Anyway the bottom layer looks fine so whatever you are printing on I guess it's fine. Or could the parts be wiggling on it? It looks like a paper towel with bumps in it, lol. Better to print on masking tape. Or just glass.

So I guess my main question is - are you sure this is bad? Looks like easy to remove stringing.

• 3 months later...

After having playing with all the settings available and also resetting them as suggested and you still are having the problem, sounds like there is a good chance there is a mechanical problem, rather than a software/setting problem.

I have been seeing this behavior as well and determined it must be a mechanical problem because I have two UM2's with identical settings. I have tried printing the exact same file on each one, and one prints nice and clean, the other prints with oozing. What else could it be if they have identical settings, are given the same print file, and are using the same filament (Faberdashery brown)?

Any suggestions on what mechanical issues might be going on to cause this?

Just a shoot in the dark and not really related... But.. well..

I have 2 umo+ with Robert feeder. One of them was printed 7months ago, the other has all newer. 5 days ago I started to get stringing on my prints, suddenly. After cutting the bowden 2-4mm, doing more atomics than heisenberg I just went to check the feeder and it was all ok, but the center of the mk7 that I use was off by 2mm, so when the filament passed after 3-4h print sudenly the filament moved to a side and sometimes broke, slip, etc etc.

Long story short, I was able to print but I was getting strings (and on 1.75mm it's just very weird to get them). In the end it was that the mk7 was 1-2mm off position and now my prints get again a crisp clean look. So maybe, I would just check if the feeder of both machines are identically assembled, and everything it's on the same place.

If isn't that, the most simple cause for 2 printers to print different it's that the pt100 sometimes it's off by 5-10C, and that temp difference can make one drip more than the other.

The latest stable version of cura is 15.04.4.. you list 15.04.3

I wonder if you have an older buggy cura version installed? I'd uninstall cura, redownload it from the link here, and reinstall it. The first time you open it, before doing anything, save the profile out named default cura install or something like that so you have the install profile to restore if you muck things up. Print ONE small thing thing to see if its printing properly.. a 1x1x1 cm cube or something like that.

Despite many releases of Cura the last 2 years - even the versions from 2013 worked pretty damn well. I don't think there has been anything this seriously wrong with cura ever. There have been annoying bugs but not ones that gave you massive stringing.

I'm going to go with the temp sensor issue. If the temp sensor isn't in all the way it reads a cooler temp by typically 5 or 10C but it could be more. This means heats up the nozzle 5C or 10C more. Maybe 20C more in your case? Try dropping the temp to 190C. Or try this temp calibration video:

I've been using the temperature test model to see at what temps different filaments print best. I *think* the translucent green needs retraction adjustments. I haven't been able to use it again for a while as I'm doing other projects.