jeex

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · Thoughts about the new Cura

I just Googled "Dependency is not satisfiable: python3-pyqt5 (>=5.4.0)" and got seven results! Yowser, that has got to be worth something.

Longest almost-but-not-quite googlewhacking phrase? Is there a badge for that? Hallo? Hallo? Can anyone hear me?

It's really dark in here.

Is Cura exclusively Ultimaker now, or just for this build?

Its not exclusively Ultimaker, but we have a lot of new settings. We rely on comunity / other companies to provide us the settings. You can add new machines by adding .json files to the resources/settings folder. Cura should pick up on it automatically.

Is there any way I can select different settings without having to change these .json files? or select which file to use from Cura? I think the whole machine settings should be high on the prio list if you dont want to loose people with multiple machine / non ultimaker users.

To make it more logical whats now called "machine" should be called something like profile, and the real machine settings should be added.

Will there be an option in future updates to change the build volume/shape of Cura? We are currently running the previous version of Cura for our 18" delta and it works most of the time for doing big, complex slices but we are looking to push it much harder and further with bigger objects (1 meter diameter x 1 meter tall max).

We want to help with the community development on pushing Cura to its limits on such massive build volumes.

Posted (edited) · Thoughts about the new Cura

My first experience with the new version of Cura 15.06.01. Unfortunately my list of things I do not like or miss is longer at this moment, but I give it some time.

- Fresh look and feel

- Customizable menu options

Don't like / Issues / Missing:

- processing appears to be slower than previous version.

- I'm missing the layer number/height indicator when going through the layers

- Miss the material price calculation

- the process with the option 'wire printing' selected stops just before the end of the bar (and does not want to finish to process a wire printed Marvin)

- progress bar going from left to right each time the processing restarts.

Sometimes progress bar goes to 40% and then back to 0% etc.

- I miss the 'lay flat' option to make sure that an object is touching the build plate. Sometimes I get STL file that are slightly rotated and not perfectly flat.

- In simple mode the print time cannot be calculated. Calculating.....

- Doubt if I like the stacked menu options. I cannot see in one blink of an eye if my settings are correct. Now I need to scroll and/or open each menu item. See how it works after some printing.

- Where can I change the nozzle size!

- I have an Ultimaker Original with a heated bed. How do I select the 'printed bed' option? Or do I need to set the profile to Utlimaker+?

Edited by Guest

Doubt if I like the stacked menu options. I cannot see in one blink of an eye if my settings are correct. Now I need to scroll and/or open each menu item. See how it works after some printing.

I see the potential but i feel it's far from ready. The quick and dirty approach is to have an indicator to show if you have anything 'on' in a submenu (works for stuff like spiralize). To make it really work I think we should have a few levels of profiles to save and import:

* machine (build size, nozzle size, head size stuff like that)

* 'view level' (what detail/type of settings do you want to show)

* profile, basically all settings like speed, height, infill etc... so you can safe f.e. a PLA high quality and low quality profile, and make specialized profiles for machines, materials etc..

(last 2 can maybe be combined)

we should be able to export and import all 3 (I use more than one machine and want to share with others).

Having these setting in a fixed place, and accessible from a Cura drop down list would be best.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\resources\settings

Open the 'ultimaker2.json' file (if you have a UM2..) in a text editor and find the line with the nozzle size. Fine if you want to test it once, but this version is basically useless for "olsson block" users.

I love new Cura. I wanted by Simplfy3d but EUR150 is really expensive. And now I printed same objects with New Cura 30% faster and 25% better layer quality. It looks cool, advanced mode has so many possibilities to play with it. But come on i really like the quickprint mode. It works like plug'n play printers.

Special thanks to Mr. Daid (David) and if he has, to his helpers, for his/ their effort. Without Cura I wouldn't have bought an Ultimaker.

I have also a small question. When I load an object to Cura what is larger/bigger then print area size, cura scales model down automatically. How can I change this option.

Regards

Niyazi

Why is there no option to load already saved profile or to load profile from gcode like in old Cura? I didn't really do much testing but, right out of the blue after installation I wanted to use existing profile on similar model, and just couldn't find any options to load that. I just need to redo profile again..? And then what..? Do i have to type all the settings again for next model i plan to print...

This times 10. I have painstakingly tweaked settings for using Ninjaflex, Semiflex, Colorfabb XT, Copperfill, Brassfill and lots of filament samples in order to get the best from the machine and filament. Now I cannot load any of the profiles? Have I missed something?

• Like 1

Is there anything in there for different nozzle sizes? I haven't been able to find it and I have a larger opening in my nozzle. (sounds like a bit of a personal problem there..)

Posted (edited) · Thoughts about the new Cura

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.01\resources\settings

Open the 'ultimaker2.json' file (if you have a UM2..) in a text editor and find the line with the nozzle size. Fine if you want to test it once, but this version is basically useless for "olsson block" users.

As far as I know you should be able to set a different nozzle size by changing the values in the different 'line width' boxes under 'Quality'...

Edited by Guest

Some of you may have realised that another feature is not yet implemented into the new Cura; it's what it was called 'plugins' in legacy Cura. It is now referred to as 'postprocessing scripts' and is also planned for a future version. It will be a Cura plugin (here the term 'plugin' refers to its new meaning in the Uranium framework) which allows also users with less profound python knowledge to write postprocessing scripts. @thedeugd: Could you please add this to the blog as a future feature? Thanks.

Yeah, I think the 'postprocessing scripts' will be a cool feature. I hope there will be some clear naming convention & documentation to work with stuff like layers etc.... so even I will be able to use it...

Is this Cura, Arkham Knight ? ....wow

please Daid read all the responses here, and make Cura a workable Cura again, there is a lot missing now.

and please add an option to zoom out...of the settings panel, it's a scroll fest !

I have an Imac 21" and the buttons look huge.

will check back in 3 months time :)

Hi,

Is there somewhere where you can add the material cost so you can get a cost per print? Its really useful when quoting customers for prints and working out cost prices etc.. The new software is no-use to me without this. I know I can work it out manually, but the automatic version will save time when doing a lot of quotes etc..

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

Basically what would help, and avoid to many negative reactions, is to publish a road-map with the topics planned for implementation on the next and 2th next release, so maybe also the community can share what they consider a priority ... I trust there's great potential in new cura, but for now I'll only use this version to play and try, not as my basic slicer....

Something totally different than GUI and Features, how about print quality? are there any changes under the hood to take into account?

I just Googled "Dependency is not satisfiable: python3-pyqt5 (>=5.4.0)" and got seven results! Yowser, that has got to be worth something.

It's really dark in here.

Huh, weird. What OS version are you using?

Is there any way I can select different settings without having to change these .json files? or select which file to use from Cura?

What do you mean by this? If you copy one of the json files there, rename it and change stuff in it, it should be picked up by the GUI.

New Cura does not like my machine ... crashing all the time within a minute or so of gentle playing around... "CuraEngine.exe has stopped working". I tried restarting Cura, loaded different models but it keeps crashing...

On a high end win7 laptop, core I-7 + Nvidia Quadro K1100M

Here's the log;

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "c:\dev\cura\cura\PlatformPhysics.py", line 108, in _onChangeTimerFinished

File "c:\dev\uranium\UM\Operations\Operation.py", line 49, in push

File "c:\dev\uranium\UM\Operations\OperationStack.py", line 34, in push

File "c:\dev\cura\cura\PlatformPhysicsOperation.py", line 22, in redo

File "c:\dev\uranium\UM\Scene\SceneNode.py", line 310, in setPosition

File "c:\dev\uranium\UM\Scene\SceneNode.py", line 427, in _transformChanged

File "c:\dev\uranium\UM\Signal.py", line 94, in emit

File "c:\dev\python34\lib\weakref.py", line 387, in items

RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iteration

Mine too and hangs forever trying to install the Firmware... (at the end nothing happens)

:(

Will there be an option in future updates to change the build volume/shape of Cura? We are currently running the previous version of Cura for our 18" delta and it works most of the time for doing big, complex slices but we are looking to push it much harder and further with bigger objects (1 meter diameter x 1 meter tall max).

We want to help with the community development on pushing Cura to its limits on such massive build volumes.

Not sure if we will be implementing it (or atleast; it won't have a high priority with us, especially not looking at the number of suggested improvements / changes). We haven't made this properly 'pluginable' as far as see now, but it shouldn't be very hard to implement this. As we now have more developers (eg; not just Daid hacking away), we will be much faster in accepting / reviewing pull requests.

Is this Cura, Arkham Knight ? ....wow

Well, thats a bit of a harsh comparison. At least Cura runs on 30+ fps ;) I'm well aware that there is a lot missing, which is not all that strange considering that the old Cura is 2+ years old. But because it was that old (and never designed to be easily built upon) the code resembled a lot of the monster of frankenstein. Starting over does set you back with regards to features / functionality but will pay off in the long run.

• Like 1