Thoughts about the new Cura

jeex

Posted · Thoughts about the new Cura

Is there somewhere where you can add the material cost so you can get a cost per print? Its really useful when quoting customers for prints and working out cost prices etc.. The new software is no-use to me without this. I know I can work it out manually, but the automatic version will save time when doing a lot of quotes etc..

There isn't at the moment, but it should be relatively easy to make an extension plugin that does this. Provided I have time, I'm going to try to build it tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine too and hangs forever trying to install the Firmware... (at the end nothing happens)

:(

Do you get the same error? Because the error Ulti-Arjen posted doesnt seem to have anything to do with the firmware (but with the scene not properly being locked during the push free operation)

Is this Cura, Arkham Knight ? ....wow

Well, thats a bit of a harsh comparison. At least Cura runs on 30+ fps ;)I'm well aware that there is a lot missing, which is not all that strange considering that the old Cura is 2+ years old. But because it was that old (and never designed to be easily built upon) the code resembled a lot of the monster of frankenstein. Starting over does set you back with regards to features / functionality but will pay off in the long run.

Yeah I know :) but it was the first thing that came to mind opening the new Cura.

But as I see it, you released Cura 15.01, just to release something ?

I can understand the massive amount of work to rebuild the software from the ground up,

but releasing a version that is missing a great deal compared to the old version is a bit...

I think you need to have a word with your marketing department :)

and now Cura can only be used by Ultimakers, and nothing else ?

you just cut of a huge chunk of users !

• Like 1

Mine too and hangs forever trying to install the Firmware... (at the end nothing happens)

:(

Do you get the same error? Because the error Ulti-Arjen posted doesnt seem to have anything to do with the firmware (but with the scene not properly being locked during the push free operation)

if I have my printer running and i try to open Cura... Curt Crashes...

If i open Cura, and THEN turn on the Printer.. the printer makes a weird sound (like the loud "CLACK" when it goes in stand by to upload the firmware)... and then it starts...

and if i try to update the firmware, nothing happens...

and somehow Cura is really slow...

It's still usuable for non ultimakers, we just havent recieved any profiles yet. Other companies are free to add profiles (which they did in the past) but we're not going to spend resources on tweaking their machine with our software.

If i open Cura, and THEN turn on the Printer.. the printer makes a weird sound (like the loud "CLACK" when it goes in stand by to upload the firmware)... and then it starts...

Could you send me the log? What OS are you on? What basicly happens is that Cura tries to establish if connected USB devices are actually printers. We've had other reports that this doesn't work correctly on mac for some users.

Could you send me the log? What OS are you on? What basicly happens is that Cura tries to establish if connected USB devices are actually printers. We've had other reports that this doesn't work correctly on mac for some users.

Right away....! just let me install it again... :) I Zapped it...

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.3

I just Googled "Dependency is not satisfiable: python3-pyqt5 (>=5.4.0)" and got seven results! Yowser, that has got to be worth something.

It's really dark in here.

Huh, weird. What OS version are you using?

Sorry, should have mentioned that. Ubuntu 14.04. Whole slew of dependencies issue.

I just Googled "Dependency is not satisfiable: python3-pyqt5 (>=5.4.0)" and got seven results! Yowser, that has got to be worth something.

It's really dark in here.

Huh, weird. What OS version are you using?

Thats not weird that is really bad and a shame!

These dependencies (>=5.4.0) are satisfied in the actual Ubuntu-Version "Vivid - 15.04" but not in the "Trusty - 14.04 LTS".

Fine for the devs to work with actual OS versions. But not so fine for the many users (me included) who want or must stay on the LTS (Long Time Support) Versions to have a stable system ...

So, I was having a hell of a time getting 15.06 to slice. CuraEnginge.exe kept crashing, no log file would be generated and windows error message mentioned something about libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was causing the problems. Launching CuraEngine.exe by itself would mention "error: failed to load json file: fdmprinter.json" To get 15.06 running again I uninstalled vcredist_2010_20110908_x86, then reinstalled. I also removed the printer that was listed under Machine, and started fresh.

Hope this helps someone.

Scratch all of that. CuraEngine.exe appears to crash when changing the default Movement Speed (default is 150, I changed it to 250). It also crashes when I select raft support. whole lot of uninstalling and reinstalling for nothing :D.

This latest cura has some bugs. You know you can get the more stable version here right?

https://ultimaker.com/en/cura-software/list

I recommend 15.04.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Thoughts about the new Cura

It's still usuable for non ultimakers, we just havent recieved any profiles yet. Other companies are free to add profiles (which they did in the past) but we're not going to spend resources on tweaking their machine with our software.

I have an Ultimaker with added height, and as long as I can't adjust the build size, I cannot use Cura !

we're not going to spend resources on tweaking their machine with our software.

are you kidding ?

that's like microsoft releasing Win10 without any support for any peripherals, totally unusable.

I find that a bit of an arrogant attitude :O

Edited by Guest

are you kidding ?

that's like microsoft releasing Win10 without any support for any peripherals, totally unusable.

I find that a bit of a shitty attitude :O

Microsoft sells their software. We don't. You cant expect a commercial entity (which ya know, Ultimaker is) to invest in the products of the competitors. IMHO we're being kind enough as it is to even let others use the software. It's fair to draw the line at investing even more resources. Besides; the software windows sells is more valuable when more stuff works on it. They are making more money when they do this. We dont. Actually, we'd even make less as there would be less competitive advantage.

You're free to think of it what you will, but if you want the support i'm going to have to fall back to the old open source saying; "Patches welcome!"

Edited by Guest

Hi Guys,

Is there going to be a Printrbot support?

If printerbot makes a pull request that is of sufficient quality.

@xeno, there is an oh-so-small difference between Microsoft and Cura. Microsoft have to support loads of printers out of the box, because otherwise no-one is going to buy Windows.

CURA, on the other hand, does not, because people will buy it anyway. Hang on, it's free and open source. Oh well, there goes the argument then.

• Like 1

Thats not weird that is really bad and a shame!

These dependencies (>=5.4.0) are satisfied in the actual Ubuntu-Version "Vivid - 15.04" but not in the "Trusty - 14.04 LTS".

Fine for the devs to work with actual OS versions. But not so fine for the many users (me included) who want or must stay on the LTS (Long Time Support) Versions to have a stable system ...

Yeah, whoops. Our bad. I've reported it.

This latest cura has some bugs.  You know you can get the more stable version here right?

https://ultimaker.com/en/cura-software/list

I recommend 15.04.

Hello gr5,

you are a moderator because of this can you answer my question? I'm using an Ultimaker Original+ with Cura latest version 15.06 Windows 8.1 and I write from Germany. I'm very happy with new Cura. Slicing takes little longer but print time is 30% reduced and layer quality is 25% increased. Very special thanks to Mr. Daid and to the Cura developers. My question: When I load stl file to the Cura, if the stl is larger then print area size; Cura scaling down automatically loaded stl file. How can I change this behaiviour.

regards

Niyazi

Edited by Guest

Yeah alright, you got me on the Microsoft thing. (Should have used OSX)

But I find it sad, that most major updates of Cura is five steps backwards, and taking months to get back to where it was :(

At the moment a lot UM users that have made Hardware tweaks can't use the new Cura,

I find it a bit arrogant, that using the "Free" argument is used to mess with a lot the current users of Cura.

I do applaud you for having totally redone Cura from the ground up, but you could have at least had some more support for non Ultimaker users before releasing it.

Edited by Guest

At the moment a lot UM users that have made Hardware tweaks can't use the new Cura,

I find it a bit arrogant, that using the "Free" argument is used to mess with a lot the current users of Cura.

Oh, wait. We don't use that argument. If it seems that way, i sure as hell did not intend to. People who modified the um are our costumers. We need to support those. You are totally right in saying that those users should have an equal (if not better) Cura experience .

Edited by Guest

xeno, here is a bit of friendly advice. When I used to work as a developer, there were many users who made all kinds of demands. They needed x immediately. Never mind that everyone else wanted y.

So I developed a sort of anti-PHB, a bit like anti-matter is to matter. Those demanding users and the idiot Big Chief were subjected to all manner of shenanigans, in which I demonstrated how their solution was going to be incorporated into the next iteration of function bla, and did that through technical obfuscation (i.e. I made up complicated stuff). Sometimes I convinced them that the function they wanted was already "in there". My fellow sufferers received free therapy at the expense of not busting a gut while keeping in their laughter.

On the other hand, those users who were sweet to me got what they wanted. Every time. And I gave them more than they asked for. And I hand-held them, and even sat down with some of them to show them how to do things faster and better. Those people thought I was some kind of benevolent god. They bought me coffee and biscuits, too. And they didn't bother calling IT support, they would ask me during a break if I could sort out their issue, and I usually did.

And they knew they owed me big time. So I got my expenses paid the moment I handed them in. No-one ever yelled at me for being consistently late, not even the Big Chief, because he had not quite figured out why so many people thought I was so important and thought I had a magical spell of some kind. Which, technically, I did.

So this is the moral of the story: if you want to get your way, be very sweet, lavish praise and then make your request. You can do that quite a bit without becoming annoying. And then you might just be surprised how much more effective it is.

The reason I did not make this a PM is that anyone who is being annoying can be pointed to this post.

• Like 2

Thank you @Danilius. There's a lot of bitchy tone here considering that UM is giving us something. The legacy Cura pretty damn good in IMO. Its clear that once some hurdles are past, the new Cura will be even greater. Getting there is going to require people to try the software and report the deficiencies. And some time.

If you feel the need to bitch in the course of reporting issues, you could instead go back to 15.04.

Can someone tell me specifically where I can change my nozzle size? I looked in the set-up profiles and I saw none there with a name matching the custom name I made during install. Really though this is such a basic setting, it should be available directly in the UI.

Thanks

Matt

xeno, here is a bit of friendly advice.

Long story

I hear what you are saying, grovel and play nice, and you might get the same functionality back as the old version ?

that's just misusing your "power" as software developer, when users were promised great software, and got ...less :)

please understand my frustration, don't get me wrong, I really love Cura, it's the best out there, and I know its "Free"

The layout, I can get used to, but waiting for months, even several years to get the same basic functions back.... is.....very.....disappointing.

We have been teased for a long time with all the fantastic capabilities it would have.

Edited by Guest