Thoughts about the new Cura

jeex

Posted · Thoughts about the new Cura

It's the nature of software development. Unlike building houses, in which one house is built in much the same way 1,000,000 other houses have been built, every software project is unique. The bigger it gets, the more problems that have to be solved that are unique to that program. You can't just look at another program and say, OK, let's do that.

BTW, I was not talking about grovelling, but simply being nice and friendly. I never had to grovel, but always try to be nice and friendly to people who are doing likewise to me. Funnily enough, in the open source economy, this represents more value than cash.

• Replies 211
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scratch all of that.  CuraEngine.exe appears to crash when changing the default Movement Speed (default is 150, I changed it to 250).  It also crashes when I select raft support.  whole lot of uninstalling and reinstalling for nothing :D.

Mine only crashes when I activate raft. Increasing speed to 250 mm/s doesn't crash on my computer. Maybe the problem isn't the speed setting in itself, but perhaps speed in combination with other parameters?

Trow everything in the folder in a folder inside the plugin folder of cura and it should work.

Just a note for OS X users. The plugin goes in Cura Application /Contents/Resources/cura/plugins NOT /Contents/Resources/plugins. I mistakenly trew it in the wrong folder the first time.

@nallath, the plugin shows in my menu bar but I get no dialog box when choosing it.

Scratch all of that.  CuraEngine.exe appears to crash when changing the default Movement Speed (default is 150, I changed it to 250).  It also crashes when I select raft support.  whole lot of uninstalling and reinstalling for nothing :D.

Mine only crashes when I activate raft. Increasing speed to 250 mm/s doesn't crash on my computer. Maybe the problem isn't the speed setting in itself, but perhaps speed in combination with other parameters?

That's what I'm thinking. it is most likely the combination of parameters that should produce a warning message or error message, but instead it crashes.

15.06 shows a lot of promise, I really like the layout and the improvements. I appreciate the hard work the UM team is putting into improving user experience. Keep it up!

@nallath, the plugin shows in my menu bar but I get no dialog box when choosing it.

Huh. That is weird. Does the firmware update show when you select that one?

Huh. That is weird. Does the firmware update show when you select that one?

Yes. The only Extension that shows a dialog is Update Firmware. Check for Updates does not.

Yes. The only Extension that shows a dialog is Update Firmware. Check for Updates does not.

Yeah thats by design. Well, ill look into it later.

its great to have the backup from ultimaker with this issues... there giving their best to solve kill the bugs! :)

with the current version (15.06.01) i can't do anything... it just crashes... do i need to keep trying, or theres will be a new Version in the near future? i downgraded to 15.04

Posted (edited) · Thoughts about the new Cura

New version has problems

Set to Ultimaker Original

I see in the advanced settings Heated Bed unchecked.

Load model, set my usual settings.  Put SD Card in Ultimaker Original and sits at the "Heating Bed" prompt.

Not good.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Thoughts about the new Cura

I see in the advanced settings Heated Bed unchecked.

Check the "Bed Temperature" checkbox in Machine settings and set the value to 0 degrees in Advanced. It will not insert the M190 line into your .gcode that way.

5a330f3b2e296_ScreenShot2015-07-02at6_23_39PM.thumb.png.fce3aeb448668ea96d325f5be1db8872.png

Edited by Guest

Very good and brave decision to rebuild Cura as the old version was not longer manageable.

What is a good way to share findings? I just drop my issues/wishes/recommendations here on the forum with the intention to provide constructive feedback for the developers. Is this the right place?

Is there a developement / feature request list where Cura users can vote. Could be a great way to determine the development agenda based on user's demand in order to fix/make the most relevant things first.

• Like 1

What is a good way to share findings? I just drop my issues/wishes/recommendations here on the forum with the intention to provide constructive feedback for the developers. Is this the right place?

For the moment dropping them here is allright.

Is there a developement / feature request list where Cura users can vote. Could be a great way to determine the development agenda based on user's demand in order to fix/make the most relevant things first.

I've mentioned this to management yesterday already. They are looking into something like this.

• Like 1

I've mentioned this to management yesterday already. They are looking into something like this.

For direct bug reports and small feature requests I believe you can use the Github.

Yeah, but the github issue tracker is a bit annoying. We need a better one.

I must say that after the initial shock of "hey, everything is different!", I am starting to like the new interface. I have started to tweak the theme so it is a little less wasteful with screen real-estate, and tweaking is fun.

I must say though, that the drop in performance is staggering. Loading the Ultimaker Robot takes around 12 seconds with 15.06.01, versus 2 seconds with 15.04. A factor of 6 slower. I have not even tried loading a more complex object (eg a 10 million polygon 3d scan...). After loading the Ultimaker Robot, it takes the new version another 12(ish) seconds to slice the object, versus 4 seconds on legacy-Cura. That is significant.

I must say though, that the drop in performance is staggering. Loading the Ultimaker Robot takes around 12 seconds with 15.06.01, versus 2 seconds with 15.04. A factor of 6 slower. I have not even tried loading a more complex object (eg a 10 million polygon 3d scan...). After loading the Ultimaker Robot, it takes the new version another 12(ish) seconds to slice the object, versus 4 seconds on legacy-Cura. That is significant.

You are right. We should definately look into this. I believe that the slicing has become a bit slower due to added features on the engine side, but it is weird that the loading is that much slower. Could you create an issue on github? Makes it easier for us to keep track of everything.

When I load stl file to the Cura, if the stl is larger then print area size; Cura scaling down automatically loaded stl file. How can I change this behaiviour.

regards

Niyazi

I don't think you can but usually when it does this for me it means I have to rotate it or something similar. Once I've rotated it such that it can fit I can them set the scale back to 1.

why i cannot update my firmware from Cura 15.06.01?

there seem to be bugs in 15.06.01... if you need to update firmware take 15.04 which is stable.

i cannot even run the Cura 15.06.01 i install it, open it and immediately it crashes.

i cannot even run the Cura 15.06.01 i install it, open it and immediately it crashes.

so don't... I consider it still a beta ;) only to be used if you like to try new stuff and it's ok for you when it's not complete jet and stable, If you want a stable version just use 15.04 for now.

• Like 1

Is there a plan to make this run on Ubuntu 14.04?