Seeking BoM (Bill of Materials) for Ultimaker

mikew67

Posted · Seeking BoM (Bill of Materials) for Ultimaker

Have seen an Ultimaker in the "flesh" (wood, plastic, metal, electronics, etc., actually). Very nice machine. Thanks to the designers, especially for publishing the plans (wooden parts at least) for others to copy.

And I certainly would like to subsidize the developers, even in a small way, by ordering parts kits from them. But I'm motivated to go it alone for several reasons:

• Hey, cash is short :-)
    I'm fortunate to already have a stock of stepper motors, linear bearings, and other mechanical parts which are close enough that they can be used with minimal modifications to the design.
    I also have a stock of polycarbonate sheet that can be used for the plywood parts.
    I even have a small machine shop with lathe and vertical mill, so I can machine stuff. For example, I've already made my own "improved" version of Wade's geared fiber drive out of aluminum, complete with purple anodizing :-) Plan to machine my own extruder parts, too.
    Even have electronics design and fabrication capability (but haven't decided whether I want to go the standard, i.e., Arduino, route or use a "better" MCU yet).

Having said all that, it would be very useful to have a complete BoM (Bill of Materials) that I could use as a starting point for my mods. Has anyone assembled it? (I've seen some partial efforts.) I'll even be happy to assemble one from partial lists.

Mike (who has a precocious 6-yr old grandson who's anxiously waiting to print some of his inventions :-)

Palo Alto, CA

http://groups.google.com/group/ultimake ... oM&lnk=ol&

This might help you a bit.

Maybe interresting information:

I investigated the option of building a PrintrBot from scratch for a friend. Which would save about 150$ half of which is saved from printing the parts yourself. But added the complexity of ordering parts from all over the place. I don't have the ability to build my own hotend, which costs 75$, but I do not know how much that costs in raw materials. But the PrintrBot is a much simpler machine then the Ultimaker. In the end we decided it's not worth it and he will just buy a full kit. Saving a lot of hassle. If your time is worth something, then ordering a kit is most likely cheaper.

But if you go around and build from scratch. The most important parts would be the timing belts, pullies and shafts. Getting those would get you started with building the XYZ frame. Seeing you can machine the hotend I guess you shouldn't worry about that to much. Just go step by step. Maybe you could even note down a BoM while you build, so we finally get a full good BoM.

Mike here is a list I have been working on it has some prices for here in the US I am building a few machines right now.

https://github.com/bwattendorf/Large-Ul ... chine.xlsx

also here is the link to my github which has a bunch of files i have been working on but not all are current

https://github.com/bwattendorf/Large-Ul ... 3d-printer

Thanks, Daid and BruceW,

Bruce, I've been ignoring the electronics thus far (mainly because I anticipated having to make major revisions there, either to accommodate the high impedance steppers I have, or to move to a different processor).

You say $20 per PCB. Sounds about right. I just did a half dozen small (24x46mm) boards for a wearable sensor and they were $10 each (mainly fixed cost, could have been bigger without costing more). Is there one combo board (containing 4 stepper drivers, heater driver, etc.) or several smaller ones. (Feel free to tell me to RTFM; just point me at a relevant web page :-)

Mike

I was planing on making the Ultimaker boards..

Bruce,

And I looked at the Eagle files (board and schematic), so I now know what you mean.

Thanks for all the hard work it took to assemble your material on github. I installed the github app on my Mac and synced with your repository (definitely easier than trying to download the individual files :-) Ran into two problems:

1. After github completed the pull, it went into cardiac arrhythmia - both CPU cores at 100%. Probably pilot error on my part :)

2. Almost all of the dxf files cannot be read by either of two apps on the Mac side and by 123D on Windows. Only got one or two of the 2D cutout templates to open successfully. Probably some format incompatibility between your CAD package and mine. What app are you using?

Thanks again,

Mike

That is a big Ultimaker. I don't even have a laser that could cut that. :D

Looks like room for two extruders?

Are you increasing the size of the x-y rods? I see a couple of holes there hard to tell which ones you are going to use.

What's the printable area? Have you worked it out? Looks like 800x800x1000 ish (Unless my software scaled the DXF wrong)

I'd suggest one of those extruders having a 1mm head on it. :)

-b

It is around 3 Ft wide by 4 Ft tall.

We are planing on using the same sized rods for the X and Y and the same amount just a longer length. (I have had a lot of discussion on this but I have found that there is not much flex on a 3ft rod then there is on a 15 inch rod and the extruder head is not much weight we will see)

We cut the parts on the Makeit labs laser in NH.

The build platform is around 800x800x 1000 ish you are right.

And we are able to add up to 4 extruders. (we are making 4 other small printers and they will have 2 extruders we added on to the .dxf in the normal folder.)

Also in the normal sized folder there are .dxf files for 5.2 mm plywood which is found in most home improvement box store in the north east.

I have not thought about a 1mm extruder head yet thanks for the idea..

I will post pictures when we get the case assembled. (right now we are still cutting the smaller parts we can cut on a small laser 1ft x 2 ft)

Bruce

Bruce,

Can you please provide a few words on each of the folders in your GitHub repository to explain the purpose of that folder's files? I can infer much of it (especially using comments in this thread), but I'd rather not make a mistake ;)

FYI, I converted most of the files from your .dxf format (which app?) to AutoCAD 2007 dxf (or at least, that's what the conversion utility I used on the Mac purported to produce. I can then import them into TurboCAD on the Mac (where mm measurements get interpreted as inches, making a truly large! Ultimaker :) BTW, my efforts to have the coordinates interpreted as mm produced scrambled drawings (suspect a TurboCAD bug). I'll just have to re-scale the objects.

All of the files successfully converted have been essentially 2D (or 2D projections). The one file I couldn't do anything with was the aluminum heater block in the extruder. Will try that one on from Windows (running a Win XP VM under VMware Fusion).

Thanks again for all the info.

Mike

I am sorry I was planing on putting these up on Thingiverse but was waiting to clean the files up a little.

I just cleaned up the folders I still need to put the open source in the readme file FYI.

here is a little bit of a description of the files and folders..

the files are for the most part all made with Qcad they are 2d files (anybody can change them I will upload them or what ever)

the parts drawings are what i think is the correct sizes anybody that finds them to be wrong let me know.

the folders are as follows

the machined parts drawings

these are drawings of any of the parts that are machined parts (once again they are a work in progress I have not machined any of these yet)

Larger sized ultimaker files

these are the 4 ft (aprox) by 3ft (aprox) 2d dxf files I used to make my cut sheets. (they are not cleaned up they have a lot of referance lines and such) also use these they not the ones I posted on Thingiverse a few months ago. they are for 5.2 mm plywood.

electronics

these are the parts list for the Ultimaker electronics and also the eagle cad files (I will be adding to this soon I have the gerber files and also some of the other boards like thermocoupler board ....).

normal sized ultimaker files

here is the parts list for the normal sized machine (the larger one is for the most part the same just more screws) I am just ordering parts so it might be wrong..

Ultimaker with changes and scaled

this is a sheet that i used to make my changes and such it has things split out in layers

I had changed a bunch because i was using 5.2 mm plywood instead of 6mm also i used a improved extruder that was in thingiverse. ( I would use the 5.2mm rev 2 sheet and rev 3 sheets.

5.2 mm rev 2 sheet

this is a sheet for the rev 2 Ultimaker file that i have made changes to work with 5.2 mm plywood also has the improved extruder and 2 extruders.

5.2 mm rev 3 sheet

this is a sheet for the rev 3 Ultimaker file that i have made changes to work with 5.2 mm plywood also has the improved extruder and 2 extruders.

new cut sheets

this folder has my laser cutter sheets I have used for the actual cutting of the parts they have every thing cleaned up and sized to the laser cutter I was using (note the make it labs 2 x 4 is because i had a lot of 2 x 4 scrap i using this for the regular sized ultimaker cases)

the colors I used in the files (if you can see them in the software you use to open with).

Red= These are cut lines

Blue= These are text or drawing lines

Green= These are changes I have made

White= these are lines that were text but not cut text

yellow= these are reference lines also

there any other questions feel free to ask..

FYI I am using the rev 2 files for the most parts because the rev 2 uses 8mm cross slide rods where the rev 3 uses 6mm.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I was wondering if you were done assembling the machine and if you had a chance to run a few prints.

I'm very curious about the results you got. I want to know if keeping the same size rods on X/Y worked for you, and what you have used for Z.

And of course, I'm sure we all would love to see some pictures of the finished product!

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the interest.

We have not made much more progress lately I am buying parts.

We have been working on building and selling a few Prusa 2 printers to fund the parts of the large Ultimaker and also 4 other small sized ones (I figured buying in bulk would be cheaper). Two of the small printers are for local hacker spaces.

We should be moving foward in the next few months and shall post as we work on the printer.