Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Academic3DPrint

Clog above PTFE Coupler

There is a spiraled strand of PLA plastic which is stuck in the visible part space above the PTFE coupler which is surrounded by the spring. The spiraled plastic glob formed when removing the filament following a printing jam. I've tried the atomic method but only a little plastic came out and the main piece of PLA plastic is still sitting in the same place. Any recommendations on fixing the jam? It's a 2 month old Ultimaker 2 with about 60 hours of printing.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

5a330f27502f6_ultimakerclog.jpg.b5fba53a7f6539066ac44a42b0f891de.jpg

Place where the clogged PLA is visible

5a330f27502f6_ultimakerclog.jpg.b5fba53a7f6539066ac44a42b0f891de.jpg

This is a common problem if the 3rd fan isn't working.

Anyway to fix it I would completely remove the bowden which means filament needs to be out of the feeder. Mark the bowden with tape so you don't reverse ends (it matters). Remove from both ends by removing the clip, pushing down on the collet while pulling up on the bowden. If the collet doesn't go down on the print head unscrew the 4 thumb screws 5 or 10 turn or until the collet is loose and you can push down on it while pulling up on the bowden. Not pushing down on the collet will scratch and somewhat damage the bowden as it has 4 tiny metal blades inside.

Once the bowden is off you can soak it in hot water (160F to 200F or 70C to 90C) for 30 seconds and then fish out the PLA goo with toothpick or something - repeatedly putting it back in hot water (e.g. boil some water in microwave or on stove).

Thanks for the help!  I took out the bowden tube and the filament did not come out with it, it looks like the filament must be attached to the upper extruder.  I tried the atomic method and just a tiny bit of filament came out but the piece of filament is still stuck there.  

Should I take apart the extruder at this point?

Definitely - take the whole head apart.  It's easy.  Start by removing the 4 screws that hold the fan shroud and let those 2 fans dangle, then remove the 4 longs screws.  Then remove the 2 screws that clamp in the spring and isolator.  When/if you rotate the nut attached to the block (although hopefully you don't need to go there) make sure the nozzle is at 180C when doing that and make sure neither the temp probe nor the heater slips out while at 180C because if either slip out it will overheat > 300c and damage something.  There's no need to remove the 3rd fan throughout this process.

I have taken the head apart maybe 10 times now - it's not very complicated.

Edited by Guest