We made it, the New Cura

SandervG

Posted · We made it, the New Cura

Like he said - embed img tag inside url tag.  The problem is now I have to first upload all my images somewhere before posting to ultimaker.  It only takes 30 seconds but it's an extra step I'd love to skip.

If the image is deleted from that "somewhere" then the forum ends up with a broken link and no image. I recall seeing a request for no external images to be used on the old forum.

Personally I like to have control over the images I post, and want to be free to delete them one day. So I think it is healthy to have both options available, upload to the forum or external link.

• Replies 238
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I like to have control over the images I post, and want to be free to delete them one day. So I think it is healthy to have both options available, upload to the forum or external link.

If you upload to the forum albums you have complete control over your images too. You can delete them at will.

If you upload to the forum albums you have complete control over your images too. You can delete them at  will.

Until the admin section is available, that is. For example if I had uploaded an image on the "old" forum, It would now be out of my control. Things change over time.

Oh - well the old forum is still there so if you want me to delete something let me know.  It's read-only but perhaps I'm allowed to remove photos:

http://oldforum.ultimaker.com/

Thanks gr5, really appreciated, but I never uploaded an image there. It was just to say that on the Internet you are really in control of something only if it resides on a server/domain name you manage personally. I hope the possibility will remain, on this forum, to post images with just an URL.

The new Cura doesn't open *gcode files like the old version would. Sometimes this is needed if you want to see what's inside the file.

The old cura opened gcode files, but they always looked blank to me and only showed up in layer mode f

or some reason? but i guess if the new cura doesn't load them at all them thats no good for you. I still use the old cura, any reason in particular you are using the newer one, other than its newer btw?

I am not mourning. I am simply trying to improve Cura with my feedback. Of course I can still use the old Cura version, and one don't need to be a genius to arrive to that conclusion.

Posted (edited) · We made it, the New Cura

I did run on a serious problem with the new Cura (using the Mac version).

It got the size of one object I am printing wrong. It is a big 500 gr piece for a client and I had to print it twice for this reason.

The base of the object should be 11,2 cm.

The new cura makes it 10,7 cm, approximately.

The old cura gets it very right.

So I had to trash the 500 gr object from the first print I made (a 48 hours print) and print it again with a gcode generated with the old cura, which printed perfectly right.

OLD Cura:

IMG_2046.jpg

New Cura

IMG_2068.jpg

Another object sliced with the new cura instead printed with the correct size, so it appears to be a problem that only affects certain stl files.

Anyone else noted something like this? I can't share the file here, as it is a client design, however I guess I could send it to team Ultimaker, after asking for permission to the client, for an analysis of the issue.

So right now I am having a serious trust issue with the new Cura. A pity because it is just a great software, so much better than the old one.

EDIT: I have client permission to share the file with Team Ultimaker, maybe a moderator could let me know where I can send the file so that you guys can have a look at this issue.

IMG_2069-cura-issues-commented.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

So right now I am having a serious trust issue with the new Cura. A pity because it is just a great software, so much better than the old one.

I am also having multiple serious issues, and do not trust the new Cura for those reasons. If I cannot print with infill, as has been the case with multiple files now again in 15.06.03, this software is pretty much useless to me. Another functionality that seems to be missing from the new Cura are the plugins that used to come with the legacy version.

One in particular is important to me right now, as I need it to do a print. It is the "Pause at height" plugin. I don't know if this plugin is part of the new Cura. If it is, I can't find it.

The new Cura is also an enormous memory hog. It uses four times as much memory as the legacy version.

So, would you please explain to me why you think the new Cura "is just a great software, so much better than the old one."

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

We are all the beta testers...it's the game ;)

The new cura is a beautiful car ...... but without fuel .... for now ...

Patience :)

@personal-drones : Nice gradual rulers ! I had the same 20 years ago ;)

Edit : another @------- with bug.... ( we are all the beta testers...)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

@nallath - please check out the post 2 posts above with the photos - something strange.

• Like 1

Setting files can also be inherited, which you can see if you look at the ultimaker2.json, which inherits fdmprinter.json. This was done to even allow printers that dont use FDM (or even non printer machines. Uranium would be suited for CNC mills / laser cutters aswell)

@nallath: Is there an option to add a new printer type (UM2 + 0.8mm nozzle) in the ~/.cura location instead of under the application? Even if I would symlink them I would keep on losing the json's (or the symlink) every time/update.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Sorry for the late reply guys, i've been on holiday for the last week. You can send the file to me, I will ensure that they go to the right people (and are not shared outside of our R&D department). I've send you a PM with my contact info.

Hey!

Good job all of you giving the best for all of us.

Only one problem i cant see nozzle size option

That's because it's hidden by default because it's a machine setting.

That's because it's hidden by default because it's a machine setting.

Is it possible to create one spot where we can type which nozzle we´r using like in old versions i am ordinary user. when i changed wall thickness cura goes crazy and doesn't print nice all i did is i changed wall thickness to 0.8 which is my nozzle size with all other thickness disabled so they inherit the value. And the result was no bottom in object and all other strange things. stil printing with older version which works perfect.

If all goes well, there will be an option to change it.

The argument that you are an ordinary user is exactly why you should not even be touching the nozzle size in the first place. The machine profile should match the machine that you have and should not be changed.

I still don't see whats wrong with the older cura. The only improvements i would do would be a button to begin the calculation process rather than it jut starting after any change that you make, as with heavy models, this becomes EXTREMELY irritating as you have to wait aaaaaages just to scale rotate and it gets a mad delay so you press one button only for one you pressed earlier to come up and then you delete that and the other one comes...........and thats about it, other than that its perfect. The stupidly thick PLA supports were sorted out the previous version cura so all is well. I really dont get the new cura its worse on all levels, does it actiually offer ANY improvements in the way supports are sorted out? maybe by moves them closer to the model so that the undersides print better? or any improvements to quality of print?

Please could someone release a cura 15.02.1 with a separate button to activate the layer calculations rather than what it does now by calculating constantly on the fly. This may not affect people who print cubes, but anything hitting the 1 million poly mark, like detailed sculpts and such is a complete nightmare to work with. The only other option is to decimate the hell out of it, but sometimes id rather not. either way constantly recalculating on the fly is annoying and unnecessary when dealing with larger file objects. I would imagine with tthe slowness of the new cura, they would be impossible to work with as it is generally much slower than the last one.

I find 15.02.1 to print flawlessly otherwise.

Edited by Guest

You don't have to use the new version. You are free to use the old versions. That's why they are still (and will remain) online. As i've mentioned in a ton of other topics aswell is that the auto slice does not effect the speed; The slicing process is started at the lowest possible priority. This means that your operating system should let every other process get more resources (the GUI included). If the process does slow down, it's a bug in the gui that seems to have something to do with auto slicing or your operating system not adhering to it's own standards. Disabling the auto slicing only treats the symptoms, not the actual problem. Also, someone changed Cura to not have auto slicing. So if you want it, it's there.

The new Cura is superior in quite a lot of fields, but most of these need time to be fully noticeable. The amount of contributions has for instance already risen as it has a better architecture and is easier to maintain. There are also a ton of improvements to the engine in how things are handled.

The problem that the new Cura does have is maturity. It has not been 'out in the wild' long enough to have all the bugs removed from them. Getting to a polished state just needs time.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

All point of different nozzles for me is speed i use 0.8 for fast draft prints so i don´t have to wait for long time and that is all. So for normal user is nice to have one space where you put your nozzle size, speed, layer rez , and that is it. I mean it is a shame that you need to be some kind of expert to be able to change nozzle size in cura since previous versions worked fine.

I hope you will implement that option back or at least give some sort of tutorial.

RE: Primož (ordinary user)

If all goes well, there will be an option to change it.

The argument that you are an ordinary user is exactly why you should not even be touching the nozzle size in the first place. The machine profile should match the machine that you have and should not be changed.

Well many people are using the Olson block with interchangeable nozzles on the Ultimaker 2, so having the nozzle size back would be really great. I understand that for now the "line width" parameter can be used instead, basically as if it was the nozzle size. This worked for me up to now.

File that gave size issues on new Cura was sent by e-mail, thank @nallath for having a look at it.

Edited by Guest

"Also, someone changed Cura to not have auto slicing. So if you want it, it's there."

Where can i find this version? it would be fantastic! If you could point me in the right direction i will look, but googling produced poor results, so any help would be grateful.

I'm after v 15.02.01 with no autoslicing.

It looks better visually,... but it has regressed in a few places that stop me from adopting so fast...

• There is no lay flat option. I used this a lot when loading models with strange angled faces. Now I cannot find this feature.
    • I can no longer simply scale the model with a factor from 1. In the old release, I could convert to 1 to 25.4 for inch parts. In this release it's a percentage and hassle to type 2540%.
    • The slicer regenerates GCODE with each parameter setting change. This is a waste of resources and bogs down the computer.
    • Crashes a lot

@SkyKorp:

• Yes, there is no lay flat option yet. UM R&D is working on it afaik. It is expected to appear in a later version.
    • Maybe you try to use the percentage? Hint: 100% = 1.0
    • On a standard PC these days over 90% of the CPU is idle. That is a waste of ressources...
    • Can't comment on that as I haven't used the new version very thoroughly yet. From my experiences with beta test versions I think it's rather a question of the quality of e.g. your graphics card driver.

I'm after v 15.02.01 with no autoslicing.

I only know the modifications for Version 14.09 and 14.12 -

but probably you're able to modify the "sceneView.py" by yourself.

Just search for "_autoUpdate" in the provided files or call the dude for assistance...

If anyone has a version of cura 15.02.01 with out the auto-generating GCODE i would be eternally grateful to get it, PC or mac, or both!

Whats the point of auto generating GCODES anyway, its a bad feature, one click after all the tweaking would be much more practical than constant recalculating, even with low priority, its totally unnecessary and more of a burden than a help.

If someone can tel me how to modify it myself i will, but if i disable it, then how do i make it generate it later? I think ill get in touch with whoever can help as I have a lot of heavy models to do soon and I wasted about an hour just loading one in the other day, was very annoying.

Edited by Guest