We made it, the New Cura

SandervG

Posted · We made it, the New Cura

@gr5 as I said before in OSX it is possible to rotate but not in Win 7 (x64 bit) version.

The red, green and other colour (I'm not at my printer computer) circles are not showing after I clicked the rotate icon. Nor does scale.

I have windows 7 64bit and it works fine for me.  It's probably a graphics card/driver issue.  I'm guessing that unless/until a few other people have this same issue it probably won't get looked at as there are about 100 other important issues to fix in Cura and unless one of the programmers can duplicate this it will be tough to fix.

Thanks for clearing that! I have a dual boot iMac so it must be a Windows driver problem.

I'll use the previouse version untill the other items have been fixed while working in Windows.

• Replies 238
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also cannot select, rotate, scale etc the model in Win7 64.  It's been reported on Github issue #84.  I think 83 may be the same issue.

Matt

Thanks, I didn't reported it on Github yet.

The nozzle size is one of the machine parameters, but you can enable more settings to see so you can configure actual line widths, which is most likely what you want to influence when you where messing with the nozzle size on the old Cura.

No it wasn't. I have one of those Anders blocks and I really was looking for the nozzle size. And I've looked through those settings back and forth but I can't find anything related to the nozzle.

A few things;

Where are the different views, X-ray, Transparency and Overhang?

I see the Overhang view option in preferences but overhang indication will not appear unless you have "Enable Support selected".

How do you know if you need support if you don't see any overhang indications?

Where is the nozzle size selection, the new options are very confusing.

Please bring back the mm^3 per second indicator under the print speed box, that was super helpful.

• Like 1

A few things;

Where are the different views,  X-ray, Transparency and Overhang?

Gone for the moment. Expected to come later. Maybe written by a community user (see the Cura plugin contest).

I see the Overhang view option in preferences but overhang indication will not appear unless you have "Enable Support selected".  

How do you know if you need support if you don't see any overhang indications?  

That's a flaw. I'm unhappy with it as well. Wait until they are in or use legacy Cura.

Where is the nozzle size selection,  the new options are very confusing.  

You don't need the nozzle size anymore; it's controlled by the line width settings (please see the posts above).

Would you please bring back the layer count (show the number of the layer, one is seeing)

Could you post this on the github? Its a easy fix, but we have a lot of things to do. Makes it easier for us to track it.

Would you please add up-/down-buttons (additionally to the slider) to go through layers one by one (the slider is not very accurate on tall prints

You can use the arrow keys to move through it.

With the slider reacting to the mouse wheel, would you please enlarge the zone where it does that a little and make that zone visible (e.g. adding a background to the slider or a frame around it). Otherwise, one might accidentally zoom in/out while scrolling through layers

Good one. Could you also post it in a seperate github issue?

Would you please take the scroll rate for the slider from the OS's mouse settings or make it adjustable in cura? I'd prefer one layer per increment (not sure how to call that ... the "clicks" while turning the wheel), but others might have other preferences there. Don't skip the up-/down-buttons, though! Scrolling on touch-pads can be a bitch (some people might use cura on laptops).

Same as before ;)

I am having difficulty updating the firmware.  Note, my UM2 is new, I have never updated the firmware before. Windows 7.  This is what I did:

Have you tried running it in admin mode? If that doesnt work, please post issue on github.

Posted (edited) · We made it, the New Cura

Cura 15.06.01 on my mac here at work doesnt seem to give me the amount of material used or amount of time taken to print object, which renders it useless for me. Any ideas?

RE_EDIT - Maya 2016 is seriously buggy, and cant seem to do planar extrudes properly or even bevel plus on AI files or even text it creates itself???. So back to Maya 2015 and all is good again. Just having a real bad day with new software giving me a headache.

...Well after trying the same file in the old cura (15.02.1) the same model worked even on my crappy mac, so new cura is more sensitive to overlapping surfaces or imperfect models. Which is a great shame as doing things quick and dirty was a nice aspect to this whole printing business. Now you need to be even more careful with your models topology.

Also rotating heavy models is very slow compared to before.

Unless the way it creates support material has improved, I personally will not be using any versions past 15.02 which is bullet proof. I don't require pretty interfaces i require robust stable software.

Edited by Guest

I've installed Cura 15.06.01 on my MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

But i can't install the newest Cura on my Ultimaker original+ or on a Ultimaker2

When will there be a stable version?

Mine works well as long as there is no part and I just play with the settings. With an actual stl-file loaded, the program crashes all the time while scrolling/zooming/panning, sometimes it won't even load/slice while doing nothing (the progress bar just stops and windows tells me that there is a problem with the program and that it has to be shut down or something).

Mine just hung as well, but the same model worked just fine in the legacy cura, so this one is fussy with its models. Check your obj or whatever. Dont bother using this one yet in my opinion. Its slower as well.

• Like 1

But i can't install the newest Cura on my Ultimaker original+ or on a Ultimaker2

It's called "marlin". The firmware running inside the printer is called "Marlin". Cura is the slicer but does let you upload Marlin into the printers. I don't think the firmware has changed in the last few months. Not sure. I'm very happy with my versions that are of various ages - some more than a year old. Some of the newer Marlin's have features I don't like. So I don't see any reason to rush to upgrade the firmware.

The new cura has some problems with USB printing we've noticed. We're working on it

Edited by Guest

It's called "marlin".  The firmware running inside the printer is called "Marlin".  Cura is the slicer but does let you upload Marlin into the printers.  I don't think the firmware has changed in the last few months.  Not sure.  I'm very happy with my versions that are of various ages - some more than a year old.  Some of the newer Marlin's have features I don't like.  So I don't see any reason to rush to upgrade the firmware.

I will wait with the newest Cura till its more use friendly.

Keep it now to Cura 15.04

Thanks

Hello all,

In this new Cura (yes, it's truly very nice! Great step ahead, thanks, programmers!!!) I can choose only Ultimaker brand printers. Good for my UMO+, but at my office we have a bigger animal, from 3D Factories, that I could run from Cura also. Until now...

Will there be a Custom type printer in the drop-down menu, with custom bed sizes?

Thanks in advance!

Leo.

Will there be a Custom type printer in the drop-down menu, with custom bed sizes?

We are dependent on the community for print profiles. So far we recieved a few, which have been added to Cura.

We are dependent on the community for print profiles. So far we recieved a few, which have been added to Cura.

I think leopop was talking of freely configurable machine profiles where you (you, the user) put in all the parameters that strictly refer to the machine (mainly geometry like bed size, head size, offsets, etc) yourself ...

It was like that in the old Cura, I think.

What the new Cura does now when you change the "Machine" ....

Cura15.06_machine.thumb.png.d4dfea051ef94801c9464b27be1b68ae.png

...is to change the actual settings profile (all those options that you can have in the settings bar on the right). While it's good that you can do that, it's not actually the "Machine" that you change ... it's more like a "Printing profile".

Or to say it in more general terms: now, you cannot really change the MACHINE you're printing with (except for the pre-configured ones that came with Cura); instead you can change HOW you print with the machine. However, if it isn't the machine you're changing, the respective setting shouldn't be named "Machine".

First thing: Call things what they really are. Where it says "Machine" now, it should rather say "Printing profile`" or something along these lines.

Second thing: Make the settings that strictly refer to restrictions/qualities of the machine (and not to the way you use it) configurable. Here, I'm mainly thinking about geometry of the printer (but could also be the max temperature of the nozzle - if you want to restrict that depending on the printer chosen).

I know, that at some places it might be a thin line between either or the other (e.g. nozzle size <-> wall thickness), but that's life, there are always exceptions to rules.

EDIT

Should I post this as issue in guthub? I have a feeling I wouldn't be the first person to mention it ...

Cura15.06_machine.thumb.png.d4dfea051ef94801c9464b27be1b68ae.png

Edited by Guest

I just download and install Cura 15.06.01 on my PC Windows 8.1 and I can´t update my Ultimaker 2 firmware, it just stay in the "Starting firmware update, this may take a while", the progress bar shows no update and it has been the same for 1 hour.

Does anyone knows what could be the problem?

dear sotakuma,

i have the same problem i think it is a bug versie Cura 15.06 also have the same problem.

I think leopop was talking of freely configurable machine profiles where you (you, the user) put in all the parameters that strictly refer to the machine (mainly geometry like bed size, head size, offsets, etc) yourself ...

It was like that in the old Cura, I think.

>> Yes, Jens, completely true. Thank you for the elaborate response.

In previous Cura, I could create a custom machine (which in my situation is not that big a thing, since only the build size is bigger - all the rest is similar to the UMO, UM2, ...).

Jens, you say it should not be called "machine", but in reality it does point to a different machine.

So if I could switch between the bigger beast at the office and my UMO+ at home, it would be fine.

BTW: I can always use the older Cura, and be fine, though!

Thanks,

Leo.

Jens, you say it should not be called "machine", but in reality it does point to a different machine.

Yes, I got it partly wrong. In the new Cura, all those printing settings (that you see on the right side) AND the machine parameters will change with the "Machine" option. It's just that you can't see (and configure) the actual machine parameters (size/geometry) anymore.

As for your issue, you'd only need the possibility to add a custom printer.

As for mine, I'd rather have "Printing profile" and "Machine" two different things. There, I'd have - just as an example - UM2 chosen as machine and could then choose between different profiles, say, (1) PLA_smallparts, (2) PLA_rough&fast, whatever. But that's a matter of taste, I guess ... having both combined would also work.

Hi everyone,

Today we've released Cura 15.06.02 with a host of fixes and improvements. Release notes:

• Loading of models has been improved and should load as fast as before.
    • When changing setting visibility in the configuration dialog, we now also display tooltips that describe what the settings do.
    • On Windows, you can now load larger models. We've tweaked memory usage in this release, however a more structural solution will be implemented in a future release.
    • It's now possible to remove machines that were added during the current session.
    • A notification is displayed when the mesh file fails to load. The progress bar used to stay there, but now we're displaying a notification that the file failed to load.
    • We've made sure that USB printing and firmware updates work on all supported platforms.
    • Cura now processes layer data only when the layer view is active. This helps with improved responsiveness in normal view when dealing with large models. This problem still occurs in the layer view and needs more analysis before this issue can be solved.
    • Cura displays the current layer number in the layer view.
    • When a user chooses an infill amount of 0, the object will print hollow.
    • The Cura engine would crash when selecting raft as platform adhesion. This has been fixed.
    • Wire printing would crash the Cura engine when selected. This has been fixed.
    • The "reload all" context menu works again.
    • The build plate state will now reset properly when the build plate is cleared.
    • We've added a crash handler so uncaught exceptions are properly handled. Instead of getting an unhelpful dialog referring to a file that does not exist, we properly catch errors and provide some guidance on how to report them.

1) The program graphics is heavier and it is not fluid has the old versions. This is the reason why i like so much the old version

2) There is not the plug-ins tab with pause at height and Tweak at Z

3) Fonts are too small - you should include a preference to personalise the Font size

4) Information about estimated time, material quantity and height ( this last is missing) should be under the new CURA logo. with lots of visibility because it is the most important information.

5) The background should be a little bit darker, so it can create better the felling of space.

6) This Graphic Style with missing edges it's so old fashion. I would prefer the simple squared button with plane colour.

I'm still having issues with Cura and a 0.8mm nozzle... Guess I'm too stupid.

Is there anyone who can writeup a short "how to print with different nozzle sizes in the new cura"?

Just put 0.8 in as you wall size (for each wall size that you did enable in the settings)

The wall is the total thickness... In its own it doesn't determine everything, it actually uses the nozzle size.

Reading back, I don't know how I missed mastory's reply. @Daid already mentioned "the machines settings" but I thought it was the machine part under the settings. @mastory pointed out it was the *.json files in the Applications' directory. Took a look at those and they indeed have the nozzle size in there.

So basically, everything else everyone has been saying here is incorrect, as the actual nozzle size is still in play.

Anyhow, for everyone interested: I just made 2 copies where I changed the "id" and the "name" (and obviously the nozzle size) and added those as extra machines. Case closed.

Edited by Guest