We made it, the New Cura

SandervG

Posted · We made it, the New Cura

Wall size was the wrong term. It's line width ... you put in all the line widths and numbers of lines to run for the perimeter resulting in a certain wall thickness.

I do not see, where a parameter nozzle size would be required there anymore. But then again, I never ever used the new Cura to fully prep a printable file (as the program still crashes all the time; it's more like an open beta) - maybe with a simpler layout (not all the options enabled), the program falls back to nozzle size. Who knows.

• Replies 238
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't get the discussion here about "nozzle size not being needed anymore". Of course it is!

How I look at it it's

nozzle width + e-steps + layer height + feed rate + moving speed of the head = effective line width.

You push a "tube of plastic" through the nozzle (the nozzle hole size + feed rate determines the exact diameter of that). The layer height and the moving speed determine how much the entire thing is flattened out, thus effectively how width the resulting line of plastic will be.

You are the second person in this thread to claim that simply "specifying the line width" is enough, but how I'm looking at it that is a mathematical impossibility. It means Cura is able to guess everything else, which I don't believe.

But I guess that's me being stupid again.

• Like 2

Erm. I didn't mean for this to get ... all emotional. Sorry.

I don't know, if the program still uses the nozzle size, but, it doesn't need to. If you specify travel speed, line width and layer height, you get the volume per time that has to be extruded - it doesn't depend on the size of the hole it is pressed through (it could, if go deep deep into the effect of the nozzle size on the shape of the cross section of a single extruded line ... like, slightly rounder edges or whatever).

I have posted the following before, unfortunately nobody from Ultimaker has responded about this. Also unfortunately the same thing is happening again now.

For a model I currently want to print Cura reporta the following:

At a print speed of 50 mm/sec the reported print time is 2 hours and 47 minutes

At a print speed of 20 mm/sec the reported print time is 2 days, 9 hours and 54 minutes!

Obviously something is very wrong here.

I really wish somebody from Ultimaker would respond to this, and tell me either what I can do to fix this or tell us when a fix for this will be available.

5a330fb4e5976_ScreenShot2015-07-26at3_04_47PM.thumb.png.f83c498269a0f49ee85c22460e454dd7.png

5a330fb5202a8_ScreenShot2015-07-26at3_05_13PM.thumb.png.f11b2a29c7962326e9b0f0afc05075a3.png

How can one see an added image in full size once it is uploaded? This was easily done in the previous version of this forum, and now I can't seem to figure out how to see a full size image.

5a330fb4e5976_ScreenShot2015-07-26at3_04_47PM.thumb.png.f83c498269a0f49ee85c22460e454dd7.png

5a330fb5202a8_ScreenShot2015-07-26at3_05_13PM.thumb.png.f11b2a29c7962326e9b0f0afc05075a3.png

How can one see an added image in full size once it is uploaded? This was easily done in the previous version of this forum, and now I can't seem to figure out how to see a full size image.

I haven't figured that out yet either - it should be that if you click on the picture you get full size. I mean that would be how *I* would do it.

All right, there seems to be a bit of uncertainty what the .json files actually do. Let me explain that a bit more.

The settings are hierarchical in nature. Lets have a look at a setting like "line_width". As you can see it has a "children" option, which contain the settings "wall_line_width", "skirt_line_width", "skin_line_width","infill_line_width","support_line_width" and "support_roof_line_width".

Each of the children setting will inherit their value from their parent ("wall_line_width") if they are not enabled / visible. This is to ensure that users who don't want to tweak stuff only have to change one setting. If you make "skin_line_width" visible and change it, it overrides the value of "wall_line_width" for that specific setting (all other children still inherit!).

If all children of a setting are visible, the setting becomes invisible as it no longer does anything.

We also have something called an "inherit_function". You can put a python script there which should return a value. This is useful for values that need to be calculated based on other settings (eg; "wall_line_count").

Setting files can also be inherited, which you can see if you look at the ultimaker2.json, which inherits fdmprinter.json. This was done to even allow printers that dont use FDM (or even non printer machines. Uranium would be suited for CNC mills / laser cutters aswell)

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · We made it, the New Cura

Hi nallath,

don‘t get me wrong - but do you think a ‘normal‘ user is able to understand this?

I doubt that anybody will touch this json file.

On one side you provide an easy to use visual interface to e.g. scale/rotate any object.

On the other side a user should edit a json file manually?

I think this is not reasonable for any user!

Why there is no easy to use visual settings page inside Cura to modify this file?

Will there be any in the future?

Edited by Guest

The json file is not meant for normal users to change, but a lot of people here aren't normal users. They are the kind of people that tweak these kind of things. These people have touched those files and will continue to do so.

The main design principle of cura is that the first use should be simple, but that we will not prevent a user from doing the really weird stuff. We want to give the people the ability to pull open the hood and change everything. If you don't do that, thats fine, but the posibility is there.

The reason why its not there is time. There will be one in the future. Someone already made a web page that spits out the JSON files that Cura needs.

The new Cura doesn't open *gcode files like the old version would. Sometimes this is needed if you want to see what's inside the file.

The new Cura doesn't open *gcode files like the old version would. Sometimes this is needed if you want to see what's inside the file.

The old cura opened gcode files, but they always looked blank to me and only showed up in layer mode for some reason? but i guess if the new cura doesn't load them at all them thats no good for you. I still use the old cura, any reason in particular you are using the newer one, other than its newer btw?

I haven't figured that out yet either - it should be that if you click on the picture you get full size.  I mean that would be how *I* would do it.

Yes. And if I remember correctly, that is how it used to be.

Hi Sander!

I have even listened about it some months ago in Madrid :p

I think this should be a Beta version, as many people is having issues to use it... And if you need some beta testers, count on me! ;)

Also hope to see more printers profiles soon!

@nallath,

thanks for making it clear to me.

And hopefully the development team will have some time soon to implement a more comfortable editor.

BTW, is there any detailed description about the settings inside this json file?

very nice :), I really like the additional options/config

And hopefully the development team will have some time soon to implement a more comfortable editor.

We're working on it.

BTW, is there any detailed description about the settings inside this json file?

Not more than already provided. The description should provide a lot, together with the settings class, but that would require that you know python.

I think this should be a Beta version, as many people is having issues to use it... And if you need some beta testers, count on me! ;)

Agreed. Next version will be in open beta before we release it. Keep an eye out on the forum, we will post it there.

Also hope to see more printers profiles soon!

There already are a number of (contributed) printer profiles.

Agreed. Next version will be in open beta before we release it. Keep an eye out on the forum, we will post it there.

I will be alert then :)

There already are a number of (contributed) printer profiles.

But already integrated in Cura or just on GitHub? (Not complaining, it is just to know it)

Anyway, you did a great job with this new version!

But already integrated in Cura or just on GitHub? (Not complaining, it is just to know it)

Github only. New features are on the master branch. Fixes are on the 15.06 branch.

• Like 1

It's me , when i want read the "Estimated Print-time"

depositphotos_43977667-Businessman-looking-at-his-laptop-too-close.jpg

Please ;) for my eyes....i'm young.... :)

Thank !

• Like 3

I can't see anywhere the WEIGHT of material used, I only see estimated time and filament LENGTH. It is me, or the weight is not available anymore? I used that a lot for my calculations.

I haven't figured that out yet either - it should be that if you click on the picture you get full size.  I mean that would be how *I* would do it.

For now it can be done "manually" by nesting the IMG code inside an URL code:

Click for full size:

IMG_2053-formfutura-spool-1600.jpg

And indeed, this should be a standard feature of the forum, rather than something that is done by hand. Once you insert an external image, the software should add the link to the original file, nothing complicated.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I can't see anywhere the WEIGHT of material used, I only see estimated time and filament LENGTH. It is me, or the weight is not available anymore? I used that a lot for my calculations.

https://github.com/nallath/PrintCostCalculator

There ya go! I've made a plugin that does exactly what you need.

• Like 1

For now it can be done "manually" by nesting the IMG code inside an URL code:

Click for full size:

IMG_2053-formfutura-spool-1600.jpg

So how exactly does one do that?

So how exactly does one do that?

a.thumb.png.4dd1aa27edf9b1a9006d1702a96841f9.png

Like he said - embed img tag inside url tag. The problem is now I have to first upload all my images somewhere before posting to ultimaker. It only takes 30 seconds but it's an extra step I'd love to skip.

a.thumb.png.4dd1aa27edf9b1a9006d1702a96841f9.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Like he said - embed img tag inside url tag.  The problem is now I have to first upload all my images somewhere before posting to ultimaker.  It only takes 30 seconds but it's an extra step I'd love to skip.

If the image is deleted from that "somewhere" then the forum ends up with a broken link and no image. I recall seeing a request for no external images to be used on the old forum.

• Like 1