We made it, the New Cura

SandervG

Posted (edited) · We made it, the New Cura

I don't have the issue with a 20 MB stl model. There I can simply ignore the slicing process and change the camera / settings whatever. This pc only has those shitty onboard intel graphic cards aswell, so thats not the issue either.

20 mb of data (a little over 1.3 million polygons!) doesn't have this effect, so i'm pretty sure its another issue. An issue that I want to fix, not hide behind a checkbox.

**edit** Even with 80 mb of data (so about 5 million polygons) I was still able to change settings without any issues. The view did start to slow down a bit, but this also happened when the slicing was disabled. I could not find a significant decrease in performance.

Supporting Arguement:

Machine Del xps

i7 4770

32 gb ram

2x TitanX

Generated a model with 5 million poly count

could change settings easily while adding models

On a machine with the following specifications: Intel G440 1.6 GHZ, 4 Gb Ram, 9600GT 1GB it turns into hell. At the same time, work with drawing with a volume of 60 MB in autocad 2016 still comfortable.

Update: its not about adding that "cursed" button, its about a much different system requirements between old and new Cura.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 238
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · We made it, the New Cura

Are you including scaling in your " change settings " test? Scaling is the laggyiest adjustment for me.

yes i scale almost everything in cura to a specific height and filament usage amount. But since that button will not materialise anytime soon or ever and i doubt the lag will either, ill just keep on keeping on as i have been.

Was just saying my one grievance with cura (and agreeing with many others) that is all.

If all goes well, there will be an option to change it.

The argument that you are an ordinary user is exactly why you should not even be touching the nozzle size in the first place. The machine profile should match the machine that you have and should not be changed.

Hi Nallath, I think that is not quite right. I consider myself an ordinary user but I change nozzle sizes. For an ordinary user you can get seriously faster speed at the expense with certain geometries of loss of quality. Sometimes I use different sizes on nozzle 1 and nozzle 2, appreciating that Cura will not slice that for me.

Will there be a Custom type printer in the drop-down menu, with custom bed sizes?

We are dependent on the community for print profiles. So far we recieved a few, which have been added to Cura.

Hi I have been off line for a couple of months and am just breezing through this thread prior to installation. I too have another printer and currently use machines/reprap (14.07) to configure my printer. If this is not available I am assuming I will not be able to use the new Cura?

Hmn as an ex user of Slic3r a couple of years ago, I love the Cura auto slicing. Personally I very rarely change settings. I have one settings file for prototype (lower quality) and one file for production (best quality). I have a set of these dual setting files for PLA, nylon and abs. So when I want to print I just load the relevant settings file.

Then If I do want to change the settings, normally print speed and/or resolution, the first thing I want to see is the change to print time, which affects the cost to my customer. Having to keep hitting a button or menu option under Slic3r was a pain. Rock on Cura .

Most of my slicing normally only takes seconds although I will admit I do not often print multiple copies on the print bed

> The machine profile should match the machine that you have and should not be changed.

That may be true, but there are lots of machines that have changeable nozzles (even if a stock UM2 does not).

Anyone who loves auto slicing clearly doesn't print complex models hence they don't understand the problem at all.

And curious @yellowshark, just noticed, I have almost the same amount of points as you yet am 4 levels lower than you, lol. Not that i care much, but I don't understand this point system on this site, lol.

Edited by Guest

On a machine with the following specifications: Intel G440 1.6 GHZ, 4 Gb Ram, 9600GT 1GB it turns into hell. At the same time, work with drawing with a volume of 60 MB in autocad 2016 still comfortable.

Update: its not about adding that "cursed" button, its about a much different system requirements between old and new Cura.

I don't mean to be mean... but you should seriously consider upgrading...a machine of those specs would cost about $14 on ebay to build. Hell if you build an intel atom machine you would be in better shape...if you have autocad 2016 legally I would assume that you have a little more than a little cash to throw away.

a 9600gt?! I have 4 9800s that I use to hold my laptop up off my desk...

As far as that goes... I would suggest a "minimum system requirements" notice with the software downloaded

i use a brand new imac and a 12 core 4ghz PC and have issues, mind you i did not try the big files on my PC as the imac is next to the printer and the PC at home. i think bad topology may have something to do with it. still a tick box wouldn't hurt.

Even Facebook is adding a dislike button. lol!

• Like 2

I'm a windows 7 user, have the windows 7 bugs been worked out yet?

@KevinMakes Given the fact that on this machine do not play games (for these purposes, there is always PS), and it serves exclusively for the work at home, her power has always been enough. But apparently yes, looking at the lags in the process of working with the new Cura,there is a sensible grain of truth in the proposal to update the hardware, I agree.

Makes sense to ask @nallath to clarify how important the video card for the performance of the new version of Cura, or just the processor power and amount memory?

Well, there is 3D rendering going on, so having a decent video card is important. I've noticed that Cura isn't really a RAM hog, it usually stays well below the 1 gig of ram. Having +-4 ish ram is proabably required due to your OS and other applications also wanting a bit.

Having fast memory will influence Cura, as we do quite a few memory swaps and the like.

More cores won't help Cura at all, as it's essentially a dual threaded process (one for the GUI and one for the engine). A faster processor will help as we do quite a few expensive operations.

As the official new requirements for the correct functioning of the new version yet, is it possible to describe the configuration of the developers machines as a guide for the upgrade? ie configuration, which in the opinion (and real experience) of developers, the user is guaranteed not to have any significant delays in the work. If possible, without having to sell someone else's kidney :D

Short answer; I don't know.

Somewhat longer answer; Don't use mac, as those devices seem to actively -hate- developers. We get significantly more issues with mac's than with linux and windows. A desktop is always better than a laptop because of architecture differences (an equally 'fast' notebook / laptop processor is slower when compared to desktop).

I wondered about that (what resources make Cura work better)

My Toshiba laptop has a solid state hard disk, 32gb of RAM and an Intel i7 processor. Its quick. BUT...the weakest link...the video. Its using the Intel HD 4000 onboard processor. Which while fine for most things, my CAD stuff can bog down (the laptop fan cranks to full power a lot) and Cura has a slow draw time on most things.

It sounds like if I ran it on my desktop, which has a big nVidia graphics card for my flight sim games would go eliminate those long pauses?

Anything 3D related is always worse on Mac. And as a Mac user for the past 7 Years their OS has gotten so lame, its not even funny. They are clearly focussing their resources solely on the mobile market. I also have a cintique companion 2 and its great. with an sd card reader (yay for writing UM gcodefiles!) 3.1 Ghz, 16Gb ram, ssd and intel6000 graphics (which is still probably lame, but works great in Zbrush and other 3D apps for me.) So i may resort to using that and avoiding the mac altogether.

Edited by Guest

Anyone who loves auto slicing clearly doesn't print complex models hence they don't understand the problem at all.

And curious @yellowshark, just noticed, I have almost the same amount of points as you yet am 4 levels lower than you, lol. Not that i care much, but I don't understand this point system on this site, lol.

That is because I have a high ability to print complex models;)

Lol,

I've just been dabbling with meshmixer, and the supports it generates appears to be great? just printing at the mo, but looks promising, far better than curas random distribution which is fine for large flat surfaces and simple structures, but arty stuff really suffers. Is there any plans to introduce this as an alternative to supports? Like an extra in the menu, like Touching buildplate, everywhere, and 'pillar supports' or something on those lines?

Yup I use Meshmixer supports most of the time as they can be highly tuned - to be fair to Cura it is a slicer so for simple models I guess we should be thankful Cura does provide the function.

True i guess it would be asking a bit much. Ive no quarms using multiple software.

cloakfiend and blizz - There's a few really good reasons to do autoslicing. The benefits outweigh the problems. For example the slowness that cloakfiend is complaining about would likely appear even if he could turn off slicing. Without cloakfiend's and other people's complaints, the authors wouldn't have know about countless bugs. For example issues regarding virus scanners, detection of flash card and all kinds of bugs that appeared to be related to "slicing slowing me down!" but wasn't.

The amount of code to do what cloafiend wants is trivial and in fact there have been versions of Cura out there that allowed this (disable autoslice). But fortunately most versions *do* have autoslice and the complaints about this have led to bugs that would never have been discovered other wise.

Autoslicing versus manual slicing SHOULD MAKE NO TIME DIFFERENCE TO YOUR WORKFLOW. IF IT DOES THEN THERE IS A BUG AND IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED. I suggest starting with a video showing the problem and post the file causing the problem somewhere. Preferably as small a file as possible yet still large enough to cause the problem for you.

• Like 2

Is there any plans to introduce this as an alternative to supports?

It's the no 1 feature on my list. But we're in feature freeze for the next 12 days, so only bug fixing. After that we have 2 months of cranking out features (followed by another month of bug fixing).

Preferably as small a file as possible yet still large enough to cause the problem for you.

Well unfortunately its the large files that are the problem hence the annoyance of waiting around for it to slice, i can send you one of my sculpts later i'm going to post my alien print online for people to print anyways, so i guess if people download it to print it, you will get complaints about slow cura. and i don't think its bug, it just takes ages as my model has a high poly count, and a large flat base and as the layer height increases, the object volume decreases, and curas calculations follow suit so at least its consistent with the model detail.

As long as it prints i don't mind waiting,

And to be honest I dont really expect it to slice a 1.5 - 3 million polygons into thousands of layers in a few seconds. I'm sure bad topology has a little part to play in it.

The new beta build is up. Get it at http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/15.10/

Don't forget where we came from. Ask any developer, how they got into this, and they tell a story of having hardly nothing for a computer, power, or money. That is what maker is all about, being thrifty and never throwing things away.

This new version is not what I expected and I am sorry but your hype is not as strong as your bite. I know a thing or two and I would like to help you, but this forum is pathetic and I am starting to look for a new club than to be listening to what you ignore as your biggest fans are saying.

Terms from the software business.... "Fail often and fast, release and react and embrace change. Let the product speak for itself. Simpler is better. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS). Eat your own dogfood."

That last one is my favorite example because unless you use the product just as your customers do, then you will really never know the problem. If you make dog food, do you know the flavor? How would you know? You can never eat enough dogfood, so listen to the customers that speak to you. Never bite the hand the feeds you,

Edited by Guest