Refine Print Quality

nambass

Posted · Refine Print Quality

So it separates on layer boundaries? Like if you print a vertical 10mm cylinder with .8mm wall and no infill you can easily snap it in one hand?

I'm really not an expert at ABS bonding. I've been told that .3mm layers is too thick because you don't get good contact with the layer below (traces of filament being layed down are too round so you get air gaps). However it seems to me you want thick layers so you have plenty of hot ABS heating the layer below (thicker layer should mean more heat is transferred to get the below layer to melt more). So I would expect .2mm layers would be better than .1mm layers. But I could be wrong - it might be that .1mm layers works better because the hot nozzle is closer to the lower surface? I don't know.

Certainly higher temperatures help, enclosing the machine so the air around your part is at least 40C should help, zero fan or very little fan should help. But I have gotten nozzle clogs when I print too slowly at 255C so I try to avoid going over 250C or if I do I make sure I'm printing more volume per second (e.g. 35mm/sec .2mm layers should be enough but 35mm/sec at .1mm layers is too slow).

Bed: 73 degrees

That's too cold for ABS. I recommend at least 100C. 110C is better if you can get the bed that hot - I had to enclose my printer to get up to 110C bed. The glass temperature for ABS is pretty close to 100C and you want to be a little above that to avoid parts from lifting from the bed. Also this helps heat the air around the part somewhat.