Trying to build Cura with "package.sh"

blazo

Posted · Trying to build Cura with "package.sh"

I am trying to build Cura on Windows and I am using the command "package.sh" on git bash for Windows 7 32 bit and it is giving me the following error:

cura_error.thumb.png.21cfb4acc062e97e5a245ed6c5ef1a53.png

I have tried everything I could think of. I also get this in the log.txt file:

7z x -y PortablePython_2.7.6.1.exe $_OUTDIR/App

7-Zip [32] 15.05 beta : Copyright © 1999-2015 Igor Pavlov : 2015-06-14

Scanning the drive for archives:

1 file, 236381640 bytes (226 MiB)

Extracting archive: PortablePython_2.7.6.1.exe

--

Path = PortablePython_2.7.6.1.exe

Type = Nsis

Physical Size = 236381640

Method = LZMA:25

Solid = +

Headers Size = 2263106

Embedded Stub Size = 66048

SubType = NSIS-Park-3 Unicode log

No files to process

Everything is Ok

Files: 0

Size: 0

Compressed: 236381640

7z x -y PortablePython_2.7.6.1.exe $_OUTDIR/Lib/site-packages

7-Zip [32] 15.05 beta : Copyright © 1999-2015 Igor Pavlov : 2015-06-14

Scanning the drive for archives:

1 file, 236381640 bytes (226 MiB)

Extracting archive: PortablePython_2.7.6.1.exe

--

Path = PortablePython_2.7.6.1.exe

Type = Nsis

Physical Size = 236381640

Method = LZMA:25

Solid = +

Headers Size = 2263106

Embedded Stub Size = 66048

SubType = NSIS-Park-3 Unicode log

No files to process

Everything is Ok

Files: 0

Size: 0

Compressed: 236381640

What is my problem? Does it have to do with the fact that portable python seems to be empty?

cura_error.thumb.png.21cfb4acc062e97e5a245ed6c5ef1a53.png

Is there a README file? The people who wrote Cura haven't been on the forums lately as far as I can tell. But there was an explanation of how to build Cura a while back somewhere on the forums. Did you install portable python 2.7.6.1?

Is there a README file?  The people who wrote Cura haven't been on the forums lately as far as I can tell.  But there was an explanation of how to build Cura a while back somewhere on the forums.  Did you install portable python 2.7.6.1?

Yes, I have installed the latest version of Portable Python. There´s a README file but it just says the following:

Cura development comes with a script "package.sh", this script has been designed to run under *nix OSes (Linux, MacOS, FreeBSD). For Windows the package.sh script can be run from bash using git.

The "package.sh" script generates a final release package. You should not need it during development, unless you are changing the release process. If you want to distribute your own version of Cura, then the package.sh script will allow you to do that.

The "package.sh" script understands a number of envrionement variables defined at the top of the script. Review and adjust settings to match your needs.

Both MacOS and Linux require some extra instructions for development, as you need to prepare an environment. Look below at the proper section to see what is needed.

Do you have any idea what could be happening?

Posted (edited) · Trying to build Cura with "package.sh"

Oh - this doesn't build Cura.  It only packages it up for release into a single installer.  Do you even need to do that?  Did you already build your new Cura (because this package step is unrelated to building cura)?

I'm a programmer.  I've used git bash.  But I really don't know much about how to build Cura.  I think the python files are not compiled so you can just edit them in place.  But then there's the "steamEngine" which is the c program that does the actual slicing - that needs to be compiled if you edit any of the c code.

Edited by Guest

I have made some changes to the python code that is the Cura gui and now I want to have it as a standalone program and as far as I understand this is the way to put it all together. Is this not what I have to do?

I just followed what was on this link: https://github.com/daid/Cura under the "packaging" title.

Edited by Guest

Just change the .py file in your current cura installation and then launch cura.

.py files aren't built or compiled. Python is an interpretive language - it compiles the file on the fly. So there's nothing to compile or build.

You don't need to compile python for it to work. The package.sh script is only if you want to distribute (and create) an executable.

Also, did you try to build the old cura or the new one?

Thank you gr5, I was mistaken as to what I had to do.

Now I do want to create an executable and I am getting the same error as I was getting two days ago. I tried to package it even without making any chances to the original file and even then it didn´t work.

I typed the following commands:

$ git clone https://github.com/daid/Cura.git

$ cd Cura

$ package.sh win32

and after a while of running through the package.sh file it gives the following error:

errr.thumb.png.971a0986db73bb2c1e4f3a8f89a6e53a.png

Have you ever seen an error like this?

errr.thumb.png.971a0986db73bb2c1e4f3a8f89a6e53a.png

Edited by Guest

It just means the directory is non-existent or empty.

I would find this move command inside the .sh and add an echo before it to display what $_OUTDIR is equal to. I'm not good with bash shell scripts but this should work:

echo "displaying the bad path..."

echo $_OUTDIR/App/

I know the thread is a bit old, but I was having the same problem and found this thread through Google. After finding a solution I thought I would post in case it's helpful for someone else.

This error comes from the version of 7-zip that you're using. If you right-click on PortablePython_2.7.2.1.exe and open using the latest version of 7-zip, there is no $_OUTDIR (which refers to a folder name WITHIN the exe), but with some older versions it is present in the archive.

In particular I tried using version 9.20 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.20/) and with this version 7-zip finds $_OUTDIR and the script proceeds. I don't know if 9.20 is the "ideal" 7-zip version, but it at least gets past the $_OUTDIR problem.

Now for me it is failing elsewhere, but that is a topic for another day.