Is the forum dying?

macua85

Posted · Is the forum dying?

as is the new forums inability to run on any mobile device have tried.

Thank you for giving us valuable feedback. Could you explain in a bit more detail what's wrong with mobile use? For example which mobile you use and which browser, and which pages are not working properly? Thanks for the help :)

• Replies 149
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as is the new forums inability to run on any mobile device have tried.

Thank you for giving us valuable feedback. Could you explain in a bit more detail what's wrong with mobile use? For example which mobile you use and which browser, and which pages are not working properly? Thanks for the help :)

I am using samsung galaxy S5 mini (previously sony erricsson mini pro, but that's another story) using the default android browser. stuff is just very slow. if i type too fast (more than one "keystroke" every second, it lags, and starts jumbling up the letters. i think auto correct confuses it a bit, as is evident by all these red squiggly lines I'm about to start right clicking, it is necessary for me!

I should be too harsh though. its hard to forget someone, hell even a whole team, likely spend months and months on this, as when you spend months on something, you tend to take stuff for granted, and get cosy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it might be a good idea to send out a mass e-mail to old users once ALL old features are implemented as well.

@TheDeugd @SandervG I think you should consider Robert idea ...

I think, you absolutely right. Apparently, due the transition to a new site engine was poorly ported / lost accounts database. Becose of this, too many users lost. It is also still not working mailing list. The new design is certainly good on mobile devices, but use it on a PC - not the most comfortable activity in the world.

• Like 1

Its downright painful on my iPhone 6 to read (never seems to show me notifications)

So I have stuck to the PC to view the forums

Looking forward to email notifications returning (so long as they aren't false alarms!) :)

Totally different experience here (Galaxy s4).

The 'community page' works like a charm, notifications are very readable, and work very well now I'm able to delete individual notifications.

The 'main forum page' is a different story, but I'll hold off my opinion here until we get the read/unread indicator .... I hope and assume it will be made ok for mobile.

Totally different experience here (Galaxy s4).

The 'community page' works like a charm, notifications are very readable, and work very well now I'm able to delete individual notifications.

The 'main forum page' is a different story, but I'll hold off my opinion here until we get the read/unread indicator .... I hope and assume it will be made ok for mobile.

Hope dies, last. (Oops, I'm so sorry for that comma typo... ;) )

• Like 2

Here is a good example what I don't like. I made a screenshot on how the forum looks on my phone (not usable and that is a pity)

screenshot_2015-09-02_2037.thumb.png.317b6474ce639c5c22c8a78b899913d6.png

Now if look in my gallery it does not display it well. It only shows the thumb nail I guess. Here in the post it looks correct.

For my phone this layout it hopeless I stopped using the forum from my phone.

screenshot_2015-09-02_2037.thumb.png.317b6474ce639c5c22c8a78b899913d6.png

Maybe you should share the type of phone you use, and which version of android (?)

to proof it good on my phone :)

Screenshot_2015-09-02-21-51-34.thumb.png.4cc89f7930c31c5a6506475bb117c349.pngScreenshot_2015-09-02-21-52-26.thumb.png.7a46e17723a175f48951dda82a2351c2.png

Screenshot_2015-09-02-21-51-34.thumb.png.4cc89f7930c31c5a6506475bb117c349.png

Screenshot_2015-09-02-21-52-26.thumb.png.7a46e17723a175f48951dda82a2351c2.png

@thedeugd, can you look into this?

Here is a good example what I don't like. I made a screenshot on how the forum looks on my phone (not usable and that is a pity)

@Zoev89, can you give some more details on what phone you are using, and what version of android? We need that info if we want to fix this. Thanks!

• Like 1

Email notifications works now. You just have to enable it up in your settings. I've gotten hundreds of emails but I no longer use that workflow and use the "bell" instead.

• Like 1

Hi Sander

My phone is a Sony Xperia model MK16i. It is a little older device and it is running android 2.3.4.

The previous version of the forum was no issue.

The cause is probably that it is running 2.3.4 but it is a pity that it now fails so badly.

Email notifications works now.  You just have to enable it up in your settings.  I've gotten hundreds of emails but I no longer use that workflow and use the "bell" instead.

All this time, do not work email notice, I sincerely believe that there is simply no new updates. That is, for me there was no reason to go to the forum. Letters change the settings the mail notification as turning off the default was not there. Again, not easy to create an application for a mobile phone with a push-up notifications? Read the forum through a mobile version of Chrome, even on the screen of my LG G3 absolutely uncomfortable.

Hi to all,

well , i buy a UM2 and i doing 3d Print but i dont upload my works. I see all the post for looking answers for troubles on the print. I joined today. I think the forum isn't dying.

Sorry about my english.

You want forum activity? Give out a free roll of filament to the best print of any given period of time. Then make a post on the forum that is called FREE FILAMENT. Take that link to facebook tag all the big 3d printing pages. Boom. Forum activity.

I don't have the numbers but I do think that there is still quite a bit of forum activity. If I look at the main page I see new posts all the time!

Hey,

There seems to be low activity on the forum but the people who are on the board have been quite helpful to me.

For the people who don't like the layout, don't forget this link where you can adjust your forum settings. :-)

I got rid of all the forums I didn't need and the big header on top and now it looks clean. :)

Also they feature to choose how many topics you can see in the first view is awesome. Now I got 10 topics for the popular forums and the default 3 topics for the less populated forums.

cheers!

• Like 3

So, I spent a few hours at Internet archive to collect old forum data to add it to my log of the new forum.

The answer to the question "is the forum dying"? definitely is YES, unfortunately:

5a33131898320_forumstatistics.thumb.png.0471d70cdd7124496dc4407ae484c4f0.png

How to present this data to our beloved community manager in a way that makes us get back the old forum is another story. I have tried, believe me..

• Like 1

How to present this data to our beloved community manager in a way that makes us get back the old forum is another story. I have tried, believe me..

Yes it has been painfull to watch, but very slow progress is being made, so I have not lost all hope.

If recent events has shown anything it's that this data means very little to them, they had a very clear vision of what they wanted which trumped everything else like quality, end user experience, basic forum features, functionality, etc. Probably would blow it off and say it's growing pains. The old saying "You see what you want to see" applies well. They saw a half-baked poorly implamented, bug riddled forum and thought it was the best thing to happen in a long time.

The ray of hope comes from you and others voicing options and helping them see the bugs and poor design so they can make improvements, after all they've made it very clear this is the only way forward, there will be no going back.

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Is the forum dying?

I don't think half (about 150 per day to about 80 per day) the volume of before is my definition of "dying".  I haven't noticed much difference myself other than a few key people gone and a few new people fill in their place.  But yes, "half the volume" is kind of disappointing especially after a 4months to recover.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Posted (edited) · Is the forum dying?

Hi All, first of all if you have feedback regarding the forum in the lines of a bug or improvements, please use the dedicated forum feedback thread. It would help keep an overview and nothing will be missed, thank you :)

About the forum and the graph.

(by the way, what is it representing? Replies? Topics? Sessions? Anyway, I also see that the amount of datapoints on the right end is significantly higher, which influences the graph so I am thinking this may not be a good representation.)

Anyway, good graph or not, maybe that doesn't matter.

We are collecting the data ourselves as well, and I think it all depends on perspective and what you want to see / what point you want to get across.

It is undeniable that launching the new forum caused a drop in activity, lets get that out there.

But there is also no point in continuously asking for the old forum, because that is not going to happen. The old forum wasn't perfect either, it definitely had flaws. Which were also well addressed when it was launched.

But just as with most things gone it is kinda being idolised.

How we see the data; like I said there was a drop but you can also very clearly see an increase in activity too. Currently we are still a little bit behind on the old level, and our expectations are that near the end of 2015 or not far into 2016 we can be at our old level again. (not taking time into the equation).

This increase tells me the forum is the exact opposite of dying. Dying would have shown an ongoing decrease in activity. This tells me instead the forum is vibrant, viable and resilient.

When we launched, @peetersm, we didn't think it was the best thing ever. But we did see potential, we had a vision and together with you guys we improved it.

Personally, I like to look forward and channel our energy in positive and constructive things instead of looking back at what was or could have been.

Together we can contribute in the recovery and added value, and exceed any levels ever achieved. At least, if you want to..

Edited by Guest

In some respects I'm not surprised that there is a bit less activity. The New Forum started off a bit rough and quite a few said they will come back in a few months, which I have seen few return.

But There is also a lot of really useful information integrated into the new website to help new people overcome some of the issues that they might have that wasn't present on the OLD forum so the questions don't need to be asked.

I'm surprised when some newbees do ask a question they always state "i have done atomic pulls". Well this had to be spelled out before so many times.

At least changes are happening and things have improved. I just hope it does keep picking up and more cool ideas are shared.

• Like 1

@anders-olsson, what are the main issues you have with the forum these days? Personally I think it has improved leaps and bounds since the first atrocious version was launched. I'm actually reasonably happy with it right now, believe it or not. And I used to be one of the biggest dissenters.

I agree with @Labern and i may also add that there's probably less posts also because:

1. Lead time is no longer an issue

2. Support team is getting better and answers faster

3. Quality control on the machines has improved

4. Information is easier to find on the new forum

5. Support pages on the website a easy to find

6. The new phone app

7. There is no 7 :p

Overall i'm pretty happy with the forum now, it matches most of my needs and makes my life easier as a moderator. Of course there's room for improovement but hey that's also a good point.

• Like 3