Is USB Connectivity to Windows 7 fixed??

GMA3D

Posted · Is USB Connectivity to Windows 7 fixed??

My company purchased a UM2 at the begining of the year and I was tasked with learning all about it. However there is one issue that seems to plague this machince, and this is USB Connectivity for weeks I've noticed there seems to be no effort on the part of this company to solve this problem! When are the drivers going to be fixed?

I'm not sure what you are asking. I have windows 7 (64 bit) and I can connect to my UM2 through USB just fine. I rarely do it (a few times per year) but it works fine.

Some people lately complained that Cura wouldn't recognize their printer - not sure if this is what you are talking about - anyway they were able to connect by installing the Arduino IDE which installs the USB driver (UM2 has a Arduino chip and so the USB is maintained by the Arduino community). I never had to do this because Cura is supposed to come with the USB driver. When you install Cura there is a point where it goes off on a tangent and asks if you want to install the USB driver and then runs the Arduino installer.

When you plug your USB cable into windows machine it should make those 2 tones indicating it recognized a USB device. If you have "device manager" open it will show up in there either as an unrecognized USB device, or if the arduino driver is installed it will recognize it as a com port such as "COM5" "COM9", "COM23" or similar.

I have 4 UM printers - 2 of which have never been connected through USB so I'm not sure why you care - and they print great.

Maybe you are talking about a totally different issue? Printing through USB instead of SD card? That's more involved and a trickier issue to solve.

Thanks Gr5

When I installed Cura it never asked me if I wanted to install the USB driver. I'm guessing thats the problem.

Yes. Probably. This may be a recent bug in Cura. Do you know what version you installed?

I recommend 15.04. I just installed it now and it prompted me to do the USB driver at the end of the install process.

It's fine to have multiple versions of Cura on your machine. They don't overwrite each other but instead exist as completely different applications.

@gr5: It looks like it is at least packaged in the installer.

Officially the USB connectivity is not supported. This is why we haven't spent a lot of time on polishing is. The drivers should work, so could you tell me what the problem is with those?

Officially the USB connectivity is not supported.

Even for firmware upgrades?

Even for firmware upgrades?

Its the only reason why there still is a usb port on the UM2. So the firmware updating should work.