STL import scaled differently on Mac or Windows

Bird

Posted · STL import scaled differently on Mac or Windows

Hey,

I create full scale aerospace vehicles in Pro/E (Creo) on my Mac running Windows 7 through VMware. I output an STL file and Cura is giving me different scales when imported. First preferred option is Cura on my Mac. The STL files there come in at different orders of magnitude. No big deal. I just scale with orders of 10 to get the proper finished scale. I'm only able to get Cura 15.04 running. (Cura 15.6.1 terminates itself.)

The second less preferred option is to run on the Windows side with Cura 15.6.1. That at least runs, but when I import the STL file, Cura picks a random scale. It isn't a function mm vs. inch or anything that I can define, yet. When I select RESET with the SCALE function it doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas? For now I'm staying with 15.04 running on my Mac, and staying the heck away from 15.6.1 on either platform. I've been 3D printing on other machines for a little over a year, MakerBots, and now on an Ultimaker 2 Extended. I love the machine, but am looking at better software options. This is the first time I've heard or seen the random import scaling that won't even let me reset to the actual size in the software.

Clear Dark Skies,

Bird

Cura 15.6 is still very Beta, I would stay away for now,

and 15.04 is probably the best you are going to get, and that is a great piece of software,

or you will have to look for other paid software.

I also experience the scaling factor, but when it happens, it's always 10X too small.

and no biggy to scale.

I always check the size in the scale option, to make 100% sure it is the correct size.

Hey xenon,

I can always go for the 100% and then scale appropriately in 15.04, but the 15.6 was way off of anything I could figure out. Thanks for the feedback. I can get different orders of magnitude depending on the size of the part or assembly, but like you said, it is easy to adjust when it's a multiple of 10.

Clear Dark Skies,

Bird