cura not showing menu items

kerberg

Posted · cura not showing menu items

I installed the latest cura on 2 laptops. on one machine the software is working while on the other the dropdown menu items will not show? the buttons still work but they are invisible... WEIRD? any ideas. I uninstalled and reinstalled a few times but same thing...? Thanks

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem on my Win 7 Pro machine.  It is not always, but occasionally it happens.  They do actually show up for an instant, but then that pull-down menu completely disappears.  And like you, if I can recall where the item I want to select is located, I can sometimes pick it.  But, obviously this can be very difficult if there are more than a couple of items on the menu.

-Joe

I have a similar problem. When I load a stl file and use the standard settings, hit the Prepare button to slice and then nothing happens. When I open the stderr log file, it says that it is ready with the slicing in some seconds....  (have a Windows 7 Pro machine also).

Posted (edited) · cura not showing menu items

I suspect it is simply some sort of issue with my video drivers, but I have never seen this problem occur with any other program.  When I first obtained my Monoprice printer about a year ago, I tried the latest version of Cura available at that time, but had to abandon using it because of this menu problem.

My computer is using an  Intel Xeon X5650 CPU

Video, NVIDIA Qaudro FX 580

OS, Windows 7 Pro.

Attached is my cura.log file.  I have also done two screen grabs, which does capture the display issue.  The 1st one shows me choosing EXTENSIONS/CHANGE LOG/SHOW CHANGE LOG.   Note that the "change log" choice does show, but the prior of the cascading menus has gone partially invisible.  It seems to be hidden by the "Prepare" button.  For this situation, it is not a problem.  But, perhaps it offers a clue. 

Then, the 2nd screen grab is me choosing the view style from the menu on the top right of the display.  This one is a lot harder to deal with.  Both because you have to find a menu item on an invisible menu, and because any time you change the view style, it takes up to a minute on my machine for the change to occur. So, choosing the wrong invisible menu item can be time consuming.  Maybe these will help.

Thank you for looking into this issue.

-Joe

cura.log

Cura Menu Issue-1.jpg

Cura Menu Issue-2.jpg

Edited by casdcoke5

That log file is from September 2017. At some point we moved the log file into the folder of the specific version you're using. Could you look into the /3.4 folder for another log file? Sorry for the confusion.

Here is the log from the 3.4 folder.

-Joe

cura.log

That is the correct log file ? Only there is nothing in the log that indicates that Cura finds something wrong on your computer.

Technical background: I suspect, also from your pictures, that it's some redrawing bug in Qt. We aren't seeing it on our computers though. I can't find that it has been reported on QtBugs anywhere either, so the chance that it'll get fixed in Qt 5.10 is small. In the next Cura release we've updated to a newer version of Cura's GUI framework, Qt. There is some chance that that fixes things but don't keep your hope up.

I looked through the Cura code that generates these comboboxes and the application menu but there is nothing to indicate that the opacity of these menus get set to 0% or anything... ?

As I work more with Cura, I see other times there are rendering issues. The menus are not the only time I see a problem.  The area where the model is displayed will sometimes show two different rendering modes after I have changed the rendering style, with perhaps the right 1/3 being the old style.

I just spent several minutes playing with changing rendering styles.  Switching between Solid and X-ray may take up to a minute, during which Cura is essentially locked up. But, sometimes it is nearly instantaneous.  During the long pause times, at least initially, Cura is completely locked up, though I can use other applications. Often clicking on the Cura window, or a separate application's window, will cause an instantaneous display of the chosen rendering style.  I understand that the layers display requires some additional processing, so the delays are understandable.

I will also mention that in the past I had tried Cura 2.4, 2.5, 2.7  all with the same issue.  But, now that I understand how to manage it, I think I will continue to use the version 3.4

But, with a new version changing video rendering engines, then I certainly understand how it would not be worth the effort to investigate this further.

Thank you for checking into it.  I will look forward to ver 5, and hopefully it will resolve the issue.

-Joe

Did you try updating your graphics drivers?

Cura indicates in the log that you support OpenGL 3.3, which is pretty old (released in 2010). They are at version 4.7 right now.

There is a video driver that is a little more current, but that newer version is not compatible with SolidWorks.

-Joe

I had this too, I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I deleted the QT shader cache by emtying the folder ~/.cache/qtshadercache and it showed all menus again.

Seems like QT having hiccups from time to time... :-)

Have fun!

Mike

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 10:30 AM, curatester said:

Thank you!  I was down to using the repository version of Cura for ubuntu, and it is about 3 years out of date.  This fixed things up for me.  Much appreciated.

I had this too, I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I deleted the QT shader cache by emtying the folder ~/.cache/qtshadercache and it showed all menus again.

Seems like QT having hiccups from time to time... :-)

Have fun!

Mike