jens

Anything stiffer than PLA?

Posted · Anything stiffer than PLA?

Hi,

as the topic says: are there any filaments that are noticeably stiffer than PLA (without being much weaker)?

PET-G or XT is more flexible then PLA. XT-CF20 is more stiff but maybe not as strong. I haven't compared the strength yet.

I suppose HIPS should be harder with less flexibility. It's just as hard to print as abs. But if I remember well the fumes it releases aren't any good.

Posted (edited) · Anything stiffer than PLA?

If you print Colorfabb XT (clear - I heard the colored XT is a bit weaker than clear because of the color pigments) with 2 shells and 100% infill, and also print hot and with minimal cooling, then you get VERY STRONG parts.

XT is more flexible than PLA, but if your part is thick enough it will be very rigid.

I made some printheads that you can hit with a hammer and they'll still give you a hard time breaking them.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

I asked for material stiffness (as in E modulus, not sure what the correct English term is) because I had a very thin part in mind. I use PETG a lot (still not sure if Colorfab XT is the same) - it's significantly more flexible than PLA.