Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
enzymedesign

Shifting layers an hour into prints

Hopefully someone can help me as I'm tearing my hair out

Ultimaker original+, prints great to start with but after an hour or so the layers shift on the y-axis, always towards the back of the machine, sometimes the print will shift slightly each layer until after 3 or 4 layers it will shift 10-15mm across the y-axis.

Here are some pictures

20150728_150545234_iOS.jpg

20150724_123348809_iOS.jpg

Belts are tight and every axis oiled well, settings are standard Cura for printing PLA.

The axis seem to be lined up fine also.

Any help would be very much appreciated

On my umo+ this summer I had to put a fan to avoid steppers going crazy. It's really a mistake in design to place a board close to a motor. And specially the stepper chips that are just there at 2-4cm..

Edited by Guest

Hi guys,

Had a little test today with a fan pushing some cool air underneath the printer and it worked perfectly! the test print is twice as tall as the failed print next to it :)

20150729_145958146_iOS.jpg

I'm now in the process of designing something a little more permanent to keep the electronics cool. Thank you for the help and advice!

Yesterday I was checking youmagine, and the user @wololooo uploaded a design for a heated chamber for umo+. The important, it's he has design a cooler for the board, it uses a 40x40 fan but I think it's a good starting point, the design looks nice.

The problem it's that @youmagine ... The design does not download, at least not for me on safari/firefox/chrome. Nothing, nada, niente.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/umo-heated-chamber

Edited by Guest