Lacking filament delivery at high speed

time268

Posted · Lacking filament delivery at high speed

Hi everyone,

I recently got my ultimaker functioning after a few tests and trials, and decided to build a printable spool to put the machine through it's paces. The spool is built in many parts, so i can get dialed in on various setting and speeds. The problem that I am having is that the machine is not delivering enough filament to the print bed to make the object when printing at 100mm/s. The machine still printed the object I was building, but the lines of filament seemed pulled, and the top of the object seemed to be made up of individual lines of plastic that were not touching their neighbors instead of a flat, whole and solid surface. Anyone experienced this before? and is there a fix?

Running with:

3mm red Ultimachine PLA (2.81mm actual diameter)

Standard cura firmware and default print profile (apart frome the 100mm/s print speed, of course)

stock extruder and hotend

printed bowden tube clamp on the hotend

no fan

This is a hardware issue, the filament drive mechanism (sometimes called extruder) is turning, but because of the speed the filament is slipping a bit. You'll have to tighten the tension bolt a bit most likely. But not so much that it grinds the filament. Especially at higher speeds, this gets very important to get right.

Upgrading to the Berho extruder:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26094

helps in this aspect, as it can put more pressure on the filament without causing grinding.

Thanks for the reply's,

I think that my problem is exactly what Daid is talking about, as my settings remained the same the entire time. As soon as I am running again, I will print that upgrade he recommended. Thanks for your input.