Cura not opening an STL file through command line on the Mac

GauK

Posted · Cura not opening an STL file through command line on the Mac

Hi,

I notice that with the new release of Cura (15.06.03), I am not able to open an STL file in Cura through the command line on a Mac. For eg., if I try to open an stl file in Cura using the "Open With" command in the context menu for an stl file (in the Finder, right click on a stl file > Open With > choose Cura), it launches Cura, but fails to open the stl file. It works fine on Windows.

Is this a known problem? Can we expect a fix for this issue soon? And, is there a workaround for this.

I work on Autodesk's Fusion360 modeling application. We have a command in Fusion to send a 3d model to Cura for 3d printing. With the new release Cura, this workflow is completely broken due to this issue I am reporting. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Gautham

Posted (edited) · Cura not opening an STL file through command line on the Mac

The new Cura does not quite support the command line option. We've heard from multiple people that they now have problems with Fusion360, but we didn't know that fusion supported Cura in such a way (they never told us they did this, nor asked us if this was the right way to do it).

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Thanks for getting back on this. Could you let me know if there is any plans for fixing the command line issue in the near future? I downloaded a slightly older version of Cura (Cura 15.04) and it works perfectly well. But rather than ask our users to download an older version, it will be much better if it works with the latest.

Also, going forward, it would be better if have a communication channel open between our organizations so that we are aware of Cura releases upfront. That would help us ensure that the interop between Fusion360 and Cura works seamlessly across Fusion and Cura releases. Could you provide me with the contact information of someone in your organization that we could talk to regarding this.

Thanks

Gautham

• 2 weeks later...

I've sent you a message with my contact info. I'd love to have a good link between different software and Cura. The new plugin structure should even allow for more information to be shared between applications. If you send me an email we can discuss the possibilities.