DESIGN COMPETITION - WIN YOURSELF A PRIZE!

neo-ninja

Posted · DESIGN COMPETITION - WIN YOURSELF A PRIZE!

Hello!

I was recently given a bangle and a special coin that has been turned into a ring as a charm for the bracelet. The problem is the ring moves around the bangle too much and clinks against the metal of the bangle.

What I want to do is design up some sort of ultra minimal casing that can either clip round the ring or screw around it and then slid onto the bangle to minimise movement.

Link - http://imgur.com/a/HnuoW

Ideally I would like to try and keep as much of the outside of the ring visible and the same on the inside (if that is possible)

I have taken some pictures of the ring and bangle and design I was picturing aswell as measurements.

I will print the designs on my Ultimaker 2 and choose the winner.

The Prize is a copy of the new Trials Fusion The Awesome Max DLC on Xbox or PS. (Why? Because it has a freaking unicorn and a gun toting cat!)

Big thanks in advance!

Not entirely sure I understand exactly what you want but I did this real quick like so you could have a look.

ring_thing_01.JPG.8eec66e56e2baaef7ff44cc0ce255bb9.JPG

ring_thing_02.JPG.75603ebc2299a86d7bface8d6d62a51c.JPG

Damn! That sir is pretty much spot on what i was picturing although with more of a screw together mechanism rather then an screw with tiny glasses screws which im guessing you are proposing?

I seriously wasnt expecting a reply that quick, so sort of think we need to give it to the end of the week to see who else has a design for the prize! If thats cool for you :)

Posted (edited) · DESIGN COMPETITION - WIN YOURSELF A PRIZE!

Ah ok, I read "screw sides" and thought "screw the sides together with screws" in my head. The problem with putting a thread on the thing is that there is so little material left to play with. The distance between one of the inner corners and the outer diameter is only 0.7mm. If you cut threads into that you'll be removing all the material pretty much.

You could perhaps do pegs and holes and make it press fit with some careful experimentation with scaling of the two parts.

Oh, and waiting is fine with me as I don't really want the price anyways :p

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · DESIGN COMPETITION - WIN YOURSELF A PRIZE!

WHat is that unit in? 0.2mm?

Edited by Guest

2mm

Here's the file so you can get a feel for it. Note that I didn't add any tolerances so it's unlikely to fit if you print it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y792stv5kqtgwn8/ring_thing.STL?dl=0

2mm

Here's the file so you can get a feel for it. Note that I didn't add any tolerances so it's unlikely to fit if you print it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y792stv5kqtgwn8/ring_thing.STL?dl=0

Oh wow thanks, What software do you use to manipulate the files?

SolidWorks but for a simple design like this any CAD software is more than enough. https://www.onshape.com/ is free and from what little I've tried it looks like a pretty solid bit of software. And it runs in the browser so no install necessary.

I second the onshape software. They have really good tutorials and email out tips. They even email you personally every now and again to see how well you are getting on and you can ask them questions and suggest improvements.

They also add new features every 3 weeks along with tutorials on how to use them. The forum is good also.

Now I sound like one of their salesman. :p

Right I think sir you might have won!

Do you want the prize? I have a code I can send you just let me know your chosen format.