easy to use 3D CAD-Software

Posted · easy to use 3D CAD-Software

I just received my 2016 SolidWorks Academic version this week.  

I'll be honest, it is complete and utter overkill for anything I will ever need.

But at $20, under the Military Veteran's Academic Version Program, it's a great deal.

I would like to check out the simpler programs you guys have mentioned.

I would also like to suggest subscribing to Lynda.com   The tutorials are top notch and I can't say enough good about them.  They've helped me get back up to speed on many things (Javascript, Visual Basic and C#)

Onshape is pretty much the same as Solidworks but without the overkill features. plus you can use it for free.

Anybody know the easiest package to cut threads? I mean without having to model it myself?

Fusion 360 is the easiest I have used.

Can you explain how to do it, when I use a thread in F360 its only a bitmap thats not really exporting the thread into the .step file ....

Thanks, just figured it out, you need to mark the "Modeled" when creating the thread.

5a3313fda2e12_AutodeskFusion360.jpg.6adcdbb9d1ee2cf2e4fab221e98e8985.jpg

5a3313fda2e12_AutodeskFusion360.jpg.6adcdbb9d1ee2cf2e4fab221e98e8985.jpg

Posted (edited) · easy to use 3D CAD-Software

I have been using Rhino from ver2 and its good at what it does and fairly simple ..not easy.. to use but like any of them the better you get the more you can do....the biggest trick is to create watertight stl files :).

Its not inexpensive but cheaper than solidworks.

I need to create parts with engineering type precision ..............I have not been using a 3D printer for long but like any gear what you design ideally needs to take into consideration the production of the item.

My last project and my third 3D print job had 15 parts printed in ABS and other non printed parts had to fit together with the printed parts.

It took a few test prints to sort out shrinkage but it all went together as we wanted it to so pleased about that.

Sorry for the ramble but what software you use and how capable you and it are will determine the quality and what you can produce

I have downloaded a program that looks useful for organic modelling IE monsters and stuff its called Sculptris from Zbrush and free to use

Edited by Guest

From the initial question. If parameterization is needed. Depends a littlebit on what kind of models you would like to create.

- DSM/SpaceClaim: no history, so if you make a mistake at the beginning of you're model, this software is very forgiving....

- Fusion360: interesting piece of software. didn't steal my heart (yet...)

- Rhino: With grasshopper you get parameterization to the max. Just spend some time with it, it's really untuïtive but you need to learn the basics.

Also when you make your decision. Spent at least several months creating lotz of designs. And then draw conclusions. As a 3d modeler it's common to have several software packages in the toolbox! Did I already mention I really LOVE T-Splines and it's available for Rhino, and standard inside Fusion360?