Does anyone already have installed the Bondtech Extruder/Feeder?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited) · Does anyone already have installed the Bondtech Extruder/Feeder?

and you pretty much get the same thing.

printrbot uses 1.75mm as far as I know, therefore it won't work I guess.

another problem: you can not adjust the force on the filament, that could be a problem for flexible filaments (as I heard, you should decrease the distance on the bondtech extruder for flexible filaments)

Edited by Guest

Posted · Does anyone already have installed the Bondtech Extruder/Feeder?

didn't think of that, but I may convert so not worried there. I just want something to play around with to see what i can come up with. Using parts that you can buy fairly cheap would be good.

I think that a mix of @meduza extruder gear, that allows to assemble robert feeder or stock one, and a double geared feeder might just work. I'm waiting for ebay parts to arrive to make the meduza one that has 1.8:1 gear with gt2 belt/pulley

ataraxis, I just published a similar design with the same working principle, except for the belts.

Ninjaflex Geared Ultimaker 2 Feeder

I think the less parts you could put in to get a reliable mechanism the better...

Quite interesting. The Bondtech web did lower the price to 80€ with the gear. Nice change from 150€ to 80€

That is a big drop, There is a guy working on a similar one HERE for around that price

I got the Bondtech three days ago. Easy installation, and I've run 2Kg of PLA through it at 11mm3/sec., with no issues and great print quality.

I have just received my Bondtttech extruder, I am half way through instalation, should finnish at the weekend -- can't wait

@eldrick and @stu: what model do you have? UMO? Can you take a picture and upload it maybe? Im still interested :)

Posted (edited) · Does anyone already have installed the Bondtech Extruder/Feeder?

I have the BondTech on a UM2. I've now run 7kg of PLA through it, with no problems at all. See a picture of my installation at https://www.youmagine.com/designs/bondtech-qr-adapter-for-um2

I can't imagine it taking more than a half-hour to install it.

Edited by Guest

have you guys altered any parameters of the printer after installing the extruder? Other than the marlin that is downloadable from their pages.

I just installed mine with the Olsson Block and would like to know if you have some tips for PLA setup.

are you keeping the thumb screw all tightened up on the extruder? Mine seems to feed even when it's not fully closed, so the quick release moves a couple of millimeters when you pull it gently.

I didn't bother with marlin changes, as the TinkerGnome's firmware allows you to set the e-steps from the console, and I don't use the UM Change Material feature. I just release the feeder and pull the filament out.

ok, is the setting of the steps something i should know something about?

I installed the marlin they offer on their site, the basic one, not the Tinker.

Have you noticed that the filament clamps tension would have any affect on the results?

I tightened mine pretty tight, but still not all the way in

eldrick

Just been on the Bondteck web sight and looked at the kit for the UM2

don't want to get into downloading firmware, so does the stepper Motor they advertise work as std with the UM2.

I'm a bit hacked off with the extruder on the UM2 and was thinking of going down this road, not a total novice how hard is it to fit. and get up and running????

I'm just going to wait for the 2+ extruder. At least the motor can remain inside the machine and you don't need to worry about the firmware mods.

• Like 1

Same here. Hope to be able to try the upgrade soon.

Well the whole job took me like 30 mins including the marlin, that is actually easier to install, than any windows program to be honest. Just save the file to any location that you know, and then from the Cura, you choose to use custom firmware and press upload, when you have the usb connection with the machine.

The extruder itself is BEEFY!

I don't soo how that thing would EVER loose grip of the filament. Like EVER!

It grabs so tight and it's pretty damn precise!

The BondTech wiring provided makes the stepper rotate in the same direction as original - no need to reverse direction in firmware.

I use and highly recommend Tinkergnome's firmware because it is far more usable than the UM version. It lets you set e-steps from the LCD panel on the printer. You could also do so with a couple of commands from Pronterface or a two-line gcode file. (Give BondTech a kick - perhaps he could provide such a file.)

The only reason to mess with the firmware for the BondTech is if you have to use the Change Material feature of the printer - the retraction is too fast for the new stepper, making it scream. Solution: don't use Change Material - just release the feeder and pull the filament out. You can even do this during a Pause Print, if you want multicolored pieces.

I haven't found any need to clamp down hard on the filament, and I've printed kilos of PLA at 12 cubic mm/sec. with it. It works fine when you can still release the filament with the lever without adjusting the clamping screw.

Hi guys!

@eldrick Actually I have already made an small E-step setting file, just two lines of Gcode in order to set the correct E-step and to save the value to the controller.

You can download the small g-code program here: http://www.bondtech.se/download/657/

Place it on the SD card and select PRINT and select the program " Bondtech-Estep"

• Like 1

MMMmmm yes I think your right Labern will wait for the upgrade kit. Can do without other problems!!!

I'll test the Tinkergnome here too.

I'm struggling with other issues here now, so I can't give the extruder any hardcore test, but it sure is sweeeeeet!

I just bought one of the Ultimaker 2 kits. Should be here next week. Looking forward to trying it out!