Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ataraxis

Does anyone already have installed the Bondtech Extruder/Feeder?

and you pretty much get the same thing.

printrbot uses 1.75mm as far as I know, therefore it won't work I guess.

another problem: you can not adjust the force on the filament, that could be a problem for flexible filaments (as I heard, you should decrease the distance on the bondtech extruder for flexible filaments)

Edited by Guest

have you guys altered any parameters of the printer after installing the extruder? Other than the marlin that is downloadable from their pages.

I just installed mine with the Olsson Block and would like to know if you have some tips for PLA setup.

are you keeping the thumb screw all tightened up on the extruder? Mine seems to feed even when it's not fully closed, so the quick release moves a couple of millimeters when you pull it gently.

eldrick

Just been on the Bondteck web sight and looked at the kit for the UM2

don't want to get into downloading firmware, so does the stepper Motor they advertise work as std with the UM2.

I'm a bit hacked off with the extruder on the UM2 and was thinking of going down this road, not a total novice how hard is it to fit. and get up and running????

Well the whole job took me like 30 mins including the marlin, that is actually easier to install, than any windows program to be honest. Just save the file to any location that you know, and then from the Cura, you choose to use custom firmware and press upload, when you have the usb connection with the machine.

The extruder itself is BEEFY!

I don't soo how that thing would EVER loose grip of the filament. Like EVER!

It grabs so tight and it's pretty damn precise!

The BondTech wiring provided makes the stepper rotate in the same direction as original - no need to reverse direction in firmware.

I use and highly recommend Tinkergnome's firmware because it is far more usable than the UM version. It lets you set e-steps from the LCD panel on the printer. You could also do so with a couple of commands from Pronterface or a two-line gcode file. (Give BondTech a kick - perhaps he could provide such a file.)

The only reason to mess with the firmware for the BondTech is if you have to use the Change Material feature of the printer - the retraction is too fast for the new stepper, making it scream. Solution: don't use Change Material - just release the feeder and pull the filament out. You can even do this during a Pause Print, if you want multicolored pieces.

I haven't found any need to clamp down hard on the filament, and I've printed kilos of PLA at 12 cubic mm/sec. with it. It works fine when you can still release the filament with the lever without adjusting the clamping screw.

Hi guys!

@eldrick Actually I have already made an small E-step setting file, just two lines of Gcode in order to set the correct E-step and to save the value to the controller.

You can download the small g-code program here: http://www.bondtech.se/download/657/

Place it on the SD card and select PRINT and select the program " Bondtech-Estep"

• Like 1