Ultimaker 2 stripes

Therazerkid

Posted · Ultimaker 2 stripes

It looks a bit like this was printed too hot. You can try to reduce it by reducing the temperature of the nozzle (in Cura's advanced mode this is under Material). Second thing I'd try is reducing the printing speed (in Cura's advanced mode under Speed).

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 stripes

Is it just a color variation, or a variation in thickness (width) of those layers?  Hard to tell from the photo.

Have you checked the actual diameter of your filament at several locations to see if it's fairly uniform?  This could be a simple variation in extrusion due to filament tolerance.

Edited by Guest

Hi Sorry haven't been active!

Yes have tried printing all different Temps Between 190-230 and speeds from 25mms -65mms with the same results! The filament is consistent in thickness and the temp is +-1 degree the layers actually stick out as if over extrusion at those points

What material are you using?

Some materials just suck.

Do you have layer height (layer) based speeds?

Explanation: (changing the speed during print)

If you have the first layer speed at 10mm/s travel with the extrusion volume at 1mm^3/s, @ 230Deg      (all numbers are just examples and theoretical) Then you are heating and pushing 1mm^3 onto a line that is 10mm long and as you speed up to say... 20mm/sit will try to lay down the same volume (1mm^3/s) over a longer distance which will make the lines thinner. The same works in the inverse with slowing down.

Solution: Increase the material flow when you speed up by say 50% also increase the material flow by 50%. (don't forget to raise the temperature slightly to make up for the extra material that you'll be kicking out.)

Room temp drastically changing?

Solution: *Smack* Shut da doe!

More seriously, consider isolating the printer from extreeme temperature changes or adding a door to the front and a flexible seal similar in construction to the cover on a gear shifter on a manual transmission, to the top...please do not use the rubber from a gear shifter on your printer.

Honey comb infill with too much overlap?

Lower the overlap (the overlap between infill and shell) that your infill is set to. this squashes the layers and will sometimes cause issues with the exterior finish quality.

Are you using a solid diaphragm?

Solution: Dont use the diaphragm feature...it sucks.

Is it only on one axis or is it projection outward from the center?

Solution: Wiggle the head back and forth in the directions that you see the deviation

do you get any play? you should be able to feel no wiggle until you feel the steppers' vibration. if you do get wiggle then you should tighten the retaining screws that hold the "geared pulleys" onto the stepper motors' drive shaft.

Edited by Guest

Make sure your Z axis is clean and not dry.

Make sure your Z axis is clean and not dry.

What he said...

I'd also be curious what layer thickness you are trying to print with. (0.1? 0.2?)

While every PLA is different, I start out warmer (210-215) for the first layer and then back off the temperature to 200 or so. While I like fast prints, I have learned that slower (35-40) produces better work results.

I've used Ultimaker brand PLA, ColorFabb PHA/PLA (favorite!) and MatterHackers Pro Series PLA with good results.

From my experience this is due to the heating algorithm for the heated bed. Try and print the same object with the heated bed turned off (temperature 0°). I am pretty sure you'll see a big improvement...

Use plently of glue stick to make it stick (maybe also add brim).

ok, Z axis is clean and greased.

Have tried layer heights from 0.06-0.25 and temps from 190C-230C

And with the Bed turned of gives same result!

is the nozzle temp stable?

when its printing monitor the nozzle temp to see if it fluctuates

temp is stable on moves +-1

ok, Fixed It, Just re levelled and Tried a print with no heated Bed Its perfect, then the same file with the bed on and its horrible. How can I fix this as I cannot print large parts now

• Like 1

Did you level with the bed on? I mean thr bed heat expands just a bit so I use to level with the bed on.

bed leveling only effects the first 1-3 layers.

Have you monitored your bed temp to see if its stable?

I remember there was someone else with this problem with stripes and was related to the build plate quite a long time ago but i would have no idea how to find the post.

Ok have now levelled it the same with the bed on and with it off and it gives me the same result either way. Some models Don't look perfect with the bed on Only a 25mm cube.

If you haven't already created a support ticket, let's get @SandervG involved.

I'm involved!

@Labern, did you mean this post?

I think what we are looking at is called banding.

It can be caused by acceleration or an inaccuracy in the Zsteps, orrrrr even in the feeder.

Since this is a heated bed on the Ultimaker 2, which usually are pretty stable I think we can rule out a wobbly Z-stage.

What about the bearings, like in this post? How smooth do they move up and down the rods?

The bed rides free and easy in all spots up and down. The machine has been doing this since new and even with the included files on the sd card.

The feeder doesn't skip at all and feeds smothly. The temps stay stable in bed and head +/- 1c

I have got the banding to as low occupancy as I can but it is still ruining my prints. I thought I had nailed it with turning the build plate off but that only worked on a tiny calibration cube and then the same settings on a bigger print caused the same results. I tried submitting a ticket and was then directed to my resseler who cannot diagnose the issue either.

If it is the bearings (if!) it doesn't matter what gcode you feed it, because it is in the mechanics.

If your partner doesn't have the knowledge to further diagnose the issue, they can rely on our pro-team for help. Where did you buy your Ultimaker?

Edited by Guest

Iprint 3d in Perth Western Australia and they are all through Imaginables.

If you can DM me your reference / ticket ID or something I'll see if we can hook them up to our pro-team and move forward fixing your issue :)

My reference id at Imaginables or my ticket id?

My reference id at Imaginables or my ticket id?

Which ever one will help us pinpoint to your communications :)