v3 hotend!

Posted · v3 hotend!

you did on google, and there were several people there who apparently weren't aware that at least 3 of us have been printing in nylon for some time now.

but of course we're not famous enough to be on hackaday.. :(

in retrospect, I probably should have named the thread something more obvious and made a bigger deal about it

• Replies 68
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes--I looked at it after you posted too, Joergen. Thanks!

I might try a simpler, cheaper, and quicker path to printing these hotter materials. I have an extra PEEK. I will simply bore it out and build-up a good wall of Hi-Temp Lab-metal around the tube to protect the PEEK. I might turn a stainless or titanium tube on my lathe, but will probably just try the V2 brass tube first and hope it's not too hot at the cold end for the V2 Teflon connector. I just ordered a 24 oz. can of Hi-Temp Lab-metal, because i have other applications in mind for it, regardless.

http://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/labmetal.html

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?ID=2

I'll let everyone know what melts (hopefully filament) and what doesn't melt (hopefully PEEK and Teflon) once I find the time to get it up and running.

By the way, I've built "hotter" firmware on Daid's Marlin builder page (thanks for that link, Joergen). Can someone please give me a quick pointer or link to upgrading my Ulticontroller to support temperatures over 260 C?

By the way, I've built "hotter" firmware on Daid's Marlin builder page (thanks for that link, Joergen). Can someone please give me a quick pointer or link to upgrading my Ulticontroller to support temperatures over 260 C?

no idea why the UC menu is limited to 260C... I would suggest to print via USB, and set a higher max temp if you want to play.

it is somewhere in the marlin code, maybe search for 260 in all files and see where it all appears, and then change it in the meaningful places

I did notice some things changed in my UC after I downloaded my custom Marlin firmware (settings for ABS and PLA preheat with fan, retraction capability, and no more "stuttering" after manually controlling X-Y-Z with the UC). I guess that means all the UC code is embedded in Marlin, but somehow the nozzle limit was overlooked and does not get changed in the UC code?

The good news is I can still run gcode from the SD card with higher temps, as long as I don't touch the temperature setting with the UC. As soon as an attempt is made to adjust the nozzle temperature using the UC (after commanding temps over 260 with custom Marlin firmware and gcode) the limit becomes 260 (unless the gcode sends another higher setting during the print, I assume),

I did notice some things changed in my UC after I downloaded my custom Marlin firmware (settings for ABS and PLA preheat with fan, retraction capability, and no more "stuttering" after manually controlling X-Y-Z with the UC). I guess that means all the UC code is embedded in Marlin, but somehow the nozzle limit was overlooked and does not get changed in the UC code?

Yes, David thinks it is better to preheat with fan blasting full power... I somehow have the feeling that he might be the minority here. but you can change the fan speed in the preheat settings, and save to memory.

Yes, David thinks it is better to preheat with fan blasting full power... I somehow have the feeling that he might be the minority here. but you can change the fan speed in the preheat settings, and save to memory.

I didn't add the fan there. It was already in there. Made by someone else. I also think it's better to leave the fan off while pre-heating.

I've changed a LOT in the firmware the last few weeks. And fixed quite a few bugs (and introduced a few). I think I will have a official Ultimaker firmware with the updates by the end of the year.

I also fixed a few safety systems, like the watchdog and the heater sanity check. The watchdog will "reset&hang" the machine if the firmware code crashes (this will also causes the heaters to go off) which is better then burning up your nozzle. The heater sanity check (WATCH_TEMP_PERIOD) checks if the temperature increases 10C within 20 seconds after turning on the heater. If this check fails it will just turn off the heat and report that heating failed. Which will also help if your thermocouple is not properly connected.

Wondering how this assembly is holding up for you? Made any more changes to your design? I want to get this, but E3D has been out of stock of the 3mm hot end for some time

Posted · v3 hotend!

one of the best mods I ever made - I just added a heated bed for £20 too and printing is such a dream

(actually it still takes too long to print so sometimes I do end up dreaming)

E3D aren't out of stock - the web page is at fault-email them and say nik sent you.

remember you will need to mod the top metal piece if you want to attach it to the existing UM print head

You mean widening the stainless piece to 3.2mm instead of 3mm? That should be do-able, can always try and con the local machine shop into helping me out if it comes to it.

Haha and really? I've been checking that website daily waiting for it to not say "Coming Soon". Placing an order now

Thank you for putting all this info out there. I've been wanting a new hot end for a while as my V1 is nothing but trouble

I just added a heated bed for £20

I'll bite. Any info on that?

Posted · v3 hotend!

Sorry-I should have mentioned that (about the website) before

they usually deal with reprap people who use 1.75mm stuff -but I asked them if they would do some 3mm stuff for us since they have all the tools

You mean widening the stainless piece to 3.2mm instead of 3mm? That should be do-able, can always try and con the local machine shop into helping me out if it comes to it.

Haha and really? I've been checking that website daily waiting for it to not say "Coming Soon". Placing an order now

Thank you for putting all this info out there. I've been wanting a new hot end for a while as my V1 is nothing but trouble

Robert-about the hotbed-it's a company called Qubd- I can post more info on a separate thread if you like. or pm me for more details

After much googling I finally found them. You forgot the hyphen :D

http://store.qu-bd.com/product.php?id_product=30

Posted · v3 hotend!

that's the one!

#include 2 metal plates and 1 PC power supply , and a relay and you're in business

one of the easiest and cheapest upgrades ever

Just checked the shipping on those to Sweden, $24 and that's not counting the customs fees and tax. In the end I'd be paying more in fees than the actual thingy costs, bleh :) Thanks for the tip though.

Sent an email and got an email from David at E3D. He says that they are currently updating the design and will have both 1.75 and 3mm in a few weeks. So I'm sort of SOL at the moment, but excited to see what they come up with!

Posted · v3 hotend!

ooh! new design?

I wonder if they're making those changes I suggested -if so it will make this a no-effort UM upgrade.

Robert -there may be other silicone heater manufacturers near you?

Is going to be a v3 upgrade? I have my ultimaker with the v1 and is giving my a headache with the plugs.... and I was thinking on get the V2 but, I live in Argentina, and shipping costs would kill me so I dont wan´t to buy it if I will have to buy another one in the next months!

regards,

pablo

The "v3" is a bit of a misnomer, it's a hotend design by someone from the community, not by Ultimaker. The V2 hotend works great, and there is currently no development happening to replace it.

Posted · v3 hotend!

Great thead guys! Has any more development been done?

I started a thread on the Google group for my hot end redesign project, if you want to take a peek:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/ultimaker/JJuCfGdg6M0

-Lars