Print quality degrading and prints stopping by themselves

h2befjon

Posted (edited) · Print quality degrading and prints stopping by themselves

Changing the speed on the printer isn't the same as changing the speed settings on the slicer. If there's too much difference between infill/outlines etc (old old cura had some weird speed settings) you might find problems. It's really important to get good prints to get use to change the speed or just use the speed settings of the last 15.04 cura or the new cura beta 15.06. I really recommend you that you sit in front of the computer/tablet and read all the pages of

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/30-getting-better-prints

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

It should be pdf printed with any printer in the world for the users to understand what and why stuff happens as it happens.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Print quality degrading and prints stopping by themselves

@h2befjon !! you are in Boston! I just noticed! You should come by with your printer and we can look at it together! I'm around sunday and labor day but busy this coming week - going to Pasadena for 3dprintshow. Email me your cell number at thegr5store _at_ gmail.com.

Btw, i know you said you are doing atomic pulls correctly but it took me around 32 atomic pulls recently before i cleared out my nozzle properly and even with a weird PTFE coupler it seems to be printing fine now with zero jams. you need to be really anal about the atomic pulls. they need to look perfect as even the slightest bump or scuff mark will slowly block the nozzle again. And dont play with too many settings, and if you are new to this dont play with setting on the printer during printing in my opinion as you dont really know what you are doing yet, and once you know how to get good prints, then fine tune it on the fly. The only setting i touch on the printer while its printing is temp. apparently 110 flow fixes bad top surfaces at .2 layer height but dont worry about that, one problem at a time. Nine times out of ten, the nozzle is jammed when you get gaps.

And you may wan to use an older cura as well, i find this new one not as good. But thats just my opinion as it doesnt load as many of my objs as the old one did.

Good luck.

P.s. save yourself some filament and cancel the print immediately if you see it going wrong, as whats the point in carrying on once its started to go wrong. It only clears up if you are lucky from a gentle roll jam, but if its the nozzle then you are doomed. And nine times out of ten its the nozzle.

Edited by Guest

Ok so updates I think I got the situation fixed I with the help what was said here and gr5 I got the printer working better. here is the progress I've had with it.

1st

21478038569_8bc95a4868_b.jpg

2nd

21638804236_dcdfa60b17_b.jpg

3rd

21477022758_288928104b_b.jpg

However! now I'm having troubles with the filament there's two occasions where I left the printer running and came back to a "finished" print that was incomplete because the filament had broken at the feeder

There has been quite a few reports of people with a bad roll of UM silver PLA recently. I also had a bad roll. It prints really bad and really hard to get a nice print, the other problem is it breaking in the bowden tube or at the feeder.

You could try a different roll and see how it goes.

Actually I'm hearing tons of reports of brittle PLA this month. Something strange going on with some of the batches of filament - not lasting as long as normal. Try printing with that black PLA I gave you maybe? Or order a spool from printedSolid.com.

printedSolid will have a booth at makerFaire NYC this coming weekend.

There has been quite a few reports of people with a bad roll of UM silver PLA recently. I also had a bad roll. It prints really bad and really hard to get a nice print, the other problem is it breaking in the bowden tube or at the feeder.

You could try a different roll and see how it goes.

Yup my roll is UM brand but I got it from dynamism. I don't have any other kind of large roll of PLA. the other problem is I'm leaving the printer to print while I'm at work so I don't know how much it goes through before it breaks and the prints that I've been trying are a bit big.

Edited by Guest

I gave you a roll of black with carbon - remember?

IDK if that's going to be enough, the problem is I leave the printer on while I'm at work and the two things I tried printing both are big pieces so I don't really know how to check for how long it take for it to print or how much of it does it go through before it does.

Hi all,

First of all, very sorry to hear about these problems. You'd help us greatly in figuring out what the cause is by answering the following:

1 - What UM number is on the spool label?

2 - What batch number is on the small sticker?

3 - What settings are you using to print?

4 - What problems are you encountering?

IDK if that's going to be enough, the problem is I leave the printer on while I'm at work and the two things I tried printing both are big pieces  so I don't really know how to check for how long it take for it to print or how much of it does it go through before it does.

Maybe something like weight it to get how much kilos it's then check the density specs and make a rough calculation?

Hi all,

First of all, very sorry to hear about these problems. You'd help us greatly in figuring out what the cause is by answering the following:

1 - What UM number is on the spool label?

2 - What batch number is on the small sticker?

3 - What settings are you using to print?

4 - What problems are you encountering?

on the lable

UM-9080-A

On the small sticker

UM-7021B075

150721A01 347

5a33118337050_ScreenShot2015-09-24at7_16_40PM.png.aff9887af4dbdda80093d516fd21e677.png

I leave the printer on while I'm at work and when I come back the filament is broken at the feeder. it has happened to me twice.

5a33118337050_ScreenShot2015-09-24at7_16_40PM.png.aff9887af4dbdda80093d516fd21e677.png

when you slice, cura tells you exactly how much filament it will be using. It's also at the top of the generated gcode file in a comment.

Is the filament breaking because it is brittle (if so it may break inside the bowden also at the top of the curve) or because it is grinding to dust at the feeder and falling out?

when you slice, cura tells you exactly how much filament it will be using.  It's also at the top of the generated gcode file in a comment.

Is the filament breaking because it is brittle (if so it may break inside the bowden also at the top of the curve) or because it is grinding to dust at the feeder and falling out?

I believe the filament is brittle because when I looked at the end of of the filament on the roll it has a "clean" break

I've had that happen to me for the first time last week with Ultimakers new Dark blue PLA.

Remove the filament from the printer and twist the last 2 inches off the rest with your hands - see if you can bend it into a 90 degree "L". Then repeat with the black PLA I sent you. Is one of these filaments much more brittle than the other? They should be about the same.