Ultimaker 2 Tested In-Depth!

LePaul

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Tested In-Depth!

Nice review, but nothing us users didn't know already, but great for a potential new user.

Although, I still question the possibility to print at the often suggested high speeds.

He mentioned that out-the-box, it'll print fine to 120mm/s - in my experience i would disagree with that claim for most print applications, but he says he did? I think any longterm user of a UM2 will admit that claimed 300mm/s printing speeds are not realistic at all - possible, but you'll end up with printer bouncing off the table and a mess of a print!

The Bowden does allow for lighter head and in theory faster print head speeds, but in practice the Bowden is also the 'Achilles heel' of the system and limiteds normal print speed - Capably of 300mm/s but usable at 50mm/s.

I would love to see a object printed at 300mm/s - anyone?

I may try it...

I've printed stuff at 100mm/s which came out fine. The important thing is that you can't look at "printing speed" by just looking at the x-y speed. You need to consider the plastic-throughput in the nozzle.

You can probably not print at 100mm/s with a 0.2mm layer thickness. But for 0.06mm layers, PLA usually works fine.

The one surprise to me was their hesitation about using 3 mm (2.85+/-) filament.

Overall a good review (it should've been edited down, it seemed to go on forever in areas!).

Yep nice review!

And as @jonnybischof says, print speed depends a lot on layer heights.

I know i've done .2mm prints at 80mm/s with no issues, you can probably reach 150mm/s for .1mm layers with reasonnable quality.

300mm/s i never tried, but i'm pretty sure it can do it but the result will most probably be bad. Or you have to print a spiraiized round thing maybe

Don't forget that your travel speed should be higher than printing speed, or you'll get a lot of stringing. The faster you print, the smaller the print <-> travel margin becomes and the worse print quality you get.

I have my travel speed set to 150mm/s (UMO). If I print at 30mm/s, then the margin is so big that I get pretty much no stringing / oozing at all.

• Like 1

Don't forget that your travel speed should be higher than printing speed, or you'll get a lot of stringing. The faster you print, the smaller the print <-> travel margin becomes and the worse print quality you get.

I have my travel speed set to 150mm/s (UMO). If I print at 30mm/s, then the margin is so big that I get pretty much no stringing / oozing at all.

Is there like a ratio/best practices on that? I've never messed with the travel speed and only changed the default print speed to 40-49 to get better results

On the UM2 i usually go for 200mm/s or even 250mm/s for the travel speed. It can handle it with no problems

Is there like a ratio/best practices on that?  I've never messed with the travel speed and only changed the default print speed to 40-49 to get better results

I'd also just say "go maximum travel speed" and then try out which is the maximum printing speed (for a given layer height) that still gives you good results. The newer Cura versions show you the volumetric "print speed" in mm3 per second, which is a very good thing. If you change layer height, you should be able to adjust printing speed until you get the same volumetric printing speed and get "the same" printing quality. Note that this is where the printing speed <-> travel speed margin may come into play.