Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ajmonkey

Removing Temp Sensor and Heater

I found some instructors for removing the temp sensor and heater from the main board--are there any instructors for removing any panels for the temp or heater from the bundle of cables going to the print head/or any docs about threading the sensors through the print head cables or any helpful hints?

Just tape the new sensor to the old one and pull the new one through as you pull the old one out. just pull slowly and every now and again push or guide the new one through if it gets caught. its quite easy to do and you dont need to remove the inside panels. just make sure you tape it so there is nothing sticking out.

undo all the clips the hold the cable to the bowden tube to help give you some more room.

Just tape the new sensor to the old one and pull the new one through as you pull the old one out. just pull slowly and every now and again push or guide the new one through if it gets caught. its quite easy to do and you dont need to remove the inside panels. just make sure you tape it so there is nothing sticking out.

undo all the clips the hold the cable to the bowden tube to help give you some more room.

Thanks! That's awesome advice :)

Could anyone provide any additional tips to get the sensor and heater cartridge loose from the heater block/ Nozzle.  I tried to heat it and use various types of pliers, forceps etc.  they just won't come loose!  The heat sensor keeps kicking off the heater when it tries to heat up. I may try a soldering iron or hair dryer to see if I can get it to break loose. Any advice, thoughts, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Not trying to Hijack this thread, I just thought it would make sense if it was within the same thread instead of a brand new one. Hopefully it can help someone else with a similar issue. As you can see I had a bit of a disaster. In addition to any thoughts on the possibility of getting the heater cartridge and temp sensor loose, any idea how to best remove the remaining burnt PLA from the fan shroud. The last one shows how much larger the PTFE orifice is compared to a new one.

5a3313465f91c_photo1.thumb.JPG.2e44427193e6b398fc288138ca5c5e95.JPG5a33134690ef4_photo2.thumb.JPG.9f406140da76643a30db681b3d9da368.JPG5a331346bf789_photo3.thumb.JPG.7a8def3a728b0ed7130a4b1e091780d8.JPG

5a3313465f91c_photo1.thumb.JPG.2e44427193e6b398fc288138ca5c5e95.JPG

5a33134690ef4_photo2.thumb.JPG.9f406140da76643a30db681b3d9da368.JPG

5a331346bf789_photo3.thumb.JPG.7a8def3a728b0ed7130a4b1e091780d8.JPG

You can drill a small hole in the end of the heater block and push the sensor out.

If it's really stuck that's really the best option. I have found with patience and gripping as close to the block as possible and rotating back in forth while pulling can work it loose.