Why is cura doing this to me?

lukem96

Posted · Why is cura doing this to me?

Hello everyone!

Right i am printing a object with my logo on it, i want it to cut out of the object and this was done on both blender and 3ds max. When on Cura on the normal mode its just how i want it, the logo looks like its going to cut out on the object, but when you go into layers mode it does the opposite, cuts out whats round the logo and fills in the logo??

5a33106477672_logo-normalmode.thumb.png.45e6c974a03b830157dc48758f461e3d.png

5a3310649c592_logo-layermode.thumb.png.6110fef360878802f11e028aa3c0670b.png

If anyone can shed some light onto why it is doing this, that would be great,

thank you very much!

5a33106477672_logo-normalmode.thumb.png.45e6c974a03b830157dc48758f461e3d.png

5a3310649c592_logo-layermode.thumb.png.6110fef360878802f11e028aa3c0670b.png

I don't know blender or 3dsmax.

What i mean by normals is that the inside of your logo looks like it's considered as the inside of the model, but it should be the outside.

My guess is that Cura detects the shell of the logo as being an inner shell and there for it adds some infill. (maybe i'm totally wrong) but it's the feeling i have.

I think in meshmixer you can flip normals. There's probably a way to do this in blender too ?

Your model is wrong. It's not cura doing this to you, it's blender / 3ds max doing this to you. Try viewing the model in cura 15.04 in x-ray mode. If there are red areas, the model is wrong (we haven't ported that mode to the new cura yet, it's a WIP).

Take a look at this excellent writeup about non-manifold meshes; http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/7910/what-is-non-manifold-geometry

Thanks for the replies! still really struggling, there are red areas in x ray mode.

I have tried netfab and it hasn't fixed them unfortunatly.

I have tried flipping the normals in blender, i think i was doing it right, and nothing was changing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Your model is wrong. It's not cura doing this to you, it's blender / 3ds max doing this to you. Try viewing the model in cura 15.04 in x-ray mode. If there are red areas, the model is wrong (we haven't ported that mode to the new cura yet, it's a WIP).

Take a look at this excellent writeup about non-manifold meshes; http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/7910/what-is-non-manifold-geometry

Thanks for this, i'm trying to follow the procedures but having a lot of trouble, have you done this before?

Because i cant do this: Loose geometry (elements without any other connecting elements) can be selected with 3D view > Header > Select > Loose geometry. Note that it only selects vertices, edges, and faces depending on the current selection mode.

Anyone able to help?:( This is causing me a lot of problems and delays, i'll really appreciate it, thanks!

did you try to repair the .stl ?

https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/

Thank you for your reply! When i do that on normal view the whole circle is open, and on layers its all filled in so still not working:(

I'm not a 3D model designer, so I can't help you with this.

I'm not a 3D model designer, so I can't help you with this.

Thank you for your help!

Anyone got any other advice or solutions?

try and use use 15.02.01 it would print stuff that the others just wouldnt even load. Worth a shot, or take it in zbrush and dynamesh it. It will close all holes, but you'll need to tighten it after. Or take it to maya and close holes and reexport. This version of cura doesnt care about normals.

Posted (edited) · Why is cura doing this to me?

As far as I can see it's a solid object,

so, best is to redraw just the outline of the shape, and making sure all lines are attached to each other, and then extrude to the correct height.

or perform a bolean to connect all the solid parts as one part.

this fault happens when there is a very slight gap somewhere, and the fastest solution is to redraw with closed lines.

and sometimes certain programs are not good at exporting STL files, and create gaps.

don't use the latest Cura, just grab an older one, and experiment with the "Fix Horrible"settings

Edited by Guest

try and use use 15.02.01 it would print stuff that the others just wouldnt even load. Worth a shot, or take it in zbrush and dynamesh it. It will close all holes, but you'll need to tighten it after. Or take it to maya and close holes and reexport. This version of cura doesnt care about normals.

That didn't work im afraid, thanks for the help though!

As far as I can see it's a solid object,

so, best is to redraw just the outline of the shape, and making sure all lines are attached to each other, and then extrude to the correct height.

or perform a bolean to connect all the solid parts as one part.

this fault happens when there is a very slight gap somewhere, and the fastest solution is to redraw with closed lines.

and sometimes certain programs are not good at exporting STL files, and create gaps.

don't use the latest Cura, just grab an older one, and experiment with the "Fix Horrible"settings

I will try give it a go, i am really not that good with blender though so not really sure what i am doing, thanks for the help! really appreciate it

Still not working, anyone got any other advice? or has someone got netfabb pro which may be able to fix it where i can send you the model? really don't know what else to try, i needed tis sorted last night and was up most of the night, and been trying to sort it all day, and its driving me crazy!

Thank you for all your help i really appreciate it

Still not working, anyone got any other advice?

I also have no clue about blender and 3ds, but i want to second this approach:

...fastest solution is to redraw with closed lines.

I'm pretty sure that you have a hidden (inner) wall in your model (marked on your screenshot) and you have to redesign it in some way without such a wall... (you have to remove all internal faces)

55d4474bbf79f.thumb.png.1b33c972056cec4ad84df8fbae0ffe4d.png

Edited by Guest

Be curious to see the wire frame of your model, would be easy to see the problem then. If not, just draw it again in illustrator and re-extrude it. looks like a very simple model to create. If you know 3dsmax this should take you 2 mins. You may need to tesselate to add polys, but perhaps not.

Or just go into maya, highlight everything and select combine from the menu (its like attach in 3DSmax but easier to apply just by highlighting everything and going into the menu). That will merge all elements (as far as cura will be concerned) so should print fine?

Edited by Guest

Still not working, anyone got any other advice?

I also have no clue about blender and 3ds, but i want to second this approach:

...fastest solution is to redraw with closed lines.

I'm pretty sure that you have a hidden (inner) wall in your model (marked on your screenshot) and you have to redesign it in some way without such a wall... (you have to remove all internal faces)

Thank you so much! fixed the problem! really appreciate it, and everyone else for their advice, THANKS!

Be curious to see the wire frame of your model, would be easy to see the problem then. If not, just draw it again in illustrator and re-extrude it. looks like a very simple model to create. If you know 3dsmax this should take you 2 mins. You may need to tesselate to add polys, but perhaps not.

Or just go into maya, highlight everything and select combine from the menu (its like attach in 3DSmax but easier to apply just by highlighting everything and going into the menu). That will merge all elements (as far as cura will be concerned) so should print fine?

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately i don't really know what i am doing with 3ds so cant do much on there, what is this maya you are talking about though? sounds very interesting!

Thank you

Its by the same people as 3dsmax. 3DSMAX is available as a free trial so you can just download that off their website if you want to go the legal route. Then in 3dsmax you import a vector (ai file) from illustrator (exported as illustrator 8 from illustrator i think), and click extrude from the modifier menu on the right, choose the amount from the slider. Job done. VERY EASY and works well with cura.

Edited by Guest

Its by the same people as 3dsmax. 3DSMAX is available as a free trial so you can just download that off their website if you want to go the legal route. Then in 3dsmax you import a vector (ai file) from illustrator (exported as illustrator 8 from illustrator i think), and click extrude from the modifier menu on the right, choose the amount from the slider. Job done. VERY EASY and works well with cura.

sorry i have been extremely busy,, okay i have got 3ds and illustrator. What is a vector file? what do you mean export as illustrator 8 ?

thank you!

And i am still having problems with this file, if anyone is kind enough to offer to help that would be amazing, if i can send the file to someone and they can fix it i could not be more appreciative as this is driving me insane!