Ulti-Evening 7 September

SandervG

Posted · Ulti-Evening 7 September

I hope everybody enjoyed themselves.. although my preso ran a bit long..

I heard you gave a good presentation, thank you for coming and sharing your knowledge with everyone else. :) Hope you enjoyed yourself too!

Eric recorded quite a bit of the presentation.

• Like 1

Have you guys considered doing a webinar of the event? Would totally join if it weren't literally on the other side of the planet...

We have considered it, but since most speakers are not native english speakers we decided the message would be best shared after an edit or write up. A lot of valuable content could be lost while searching for words in a different language.

We want to keep the barrier low for both the speaker and the visitors, so we'll stick to Dutch.

(Happens to be that we had an English guest last edition, and Korneel was comfortable doing his presentation in English. But that was an exception.)

That is why we are now working on doing a write up of what Korneel shared with us about maintenance, so we can all benefit from his knowledge.

• Like 1

Just because someone isn't a native speaker does not mean that they are suddenly unable to give a good presentation. A lot of content could also be lost when making a write-up.

We usually have Dutch people who do the presentations and most of them speak English well enough to be aired imho.

A writeup also doesn't quite have the same feel to it as a video. I found that Korneels enthusiasm did a lot for the presentation, which would be lost on paper.

• Like 1

Video does help show some things that cant be written and helps us understand visually how things work.

I hope the write-up has some good photos to complement it.

• Like 1

Just because someone isn't a native speaker does not mean that they are suddenly unable to give a good presentation. A lot of content could also be lost when making a write-up.

We usually have Dutch people who do the presentations and most of them speak English well enough to be aired imho.

A writeup also doesn't quite have the same feel to it as a video. I found that Korneels enthusiasm did a lot for the presentation, which would be lost on paper.

Yes, in theory you may have a point. And it may apply to some, like Korneel, but it doesn't count for everyone. In practise we want to offer a documentation in the same format every time, and not have it rely on the level of comfort of the speaker. We had to make a decision, and to keep the barrier low and format similar, we went for a write up.

We took some pictures during the presentation, and have professional pictures to back up some instructions.

• Like 2

Fair enough, but we could also air the presentation when it's in English (eg; we have someone who is comfortable doing it) and not do it when it's in Dutch. I think it's also good for the sense of community, which is very important.

Just Do It^{TM}

However, are these slides available @Korneel I forgot to note the timing and temperature of the nylon pull, I thought it was high and then pull at 30?

lol, i will admit I cheated..

(PS, thanks for the praise mr. Nallath..)

I expected the presentation to be in English, so no worries there. I present around 2 times a month for audiences between 150 to 15.000 people, including livecasts so i feel comfortable presenting.. especially on a subject I enjoy talking about :)

@Titus , just crank up the temperature full power.. don't forget to park the head in a corner! keep feeding the nylon through until it comes out nice and smooth in a consistent color. then turn the temperature back down to below 80 (i use 30 since i burned myself quite a few times on the nozzle, and 30 doesn't burn me). the trick is to get the nylon back into it's natural state. if it's in it's glass state it's too sticky to get out properly. instead of dialing down the temperature you can also simply turn the printer off and on :)

while the head is cooling down keep feeding the nylon through. you'll see this getting more and more difficult. and around 180 to 190 degrees you'll see it's now impossible to feed through. let it cool off and keep it in there for a couple of minutes.

then, use a pair of plyers to pull the nylon out. this will be very hard. use the bolts on the head as leverage so you don't bend the axels.

it will take all the junk out. if the nylon is very discoloured, it means there is more junk in the head so rinse and repeat.

As promised, we have documented the presentation and are ready to share the information gathered from @Korneel's presentation!

You can find everything right here!

If appropriate, this is the place where you will find the next documentations as well.

Right there, in our knowledgebase :)

If you have a great tip you think should be included in the KnowledgeBase feel free to reach out to me!

I'd say that Korneels slides contained much more info than the summary. I like the article idea for new people, but most forum users are power users and want all the info.

Also @SandervG please mention in the atomic pull tutorial to put the extruder head in a corner. People are going to ruin their machines by having the head in the middle.

I can't seem to find which glue stick you were using on the forum(search function is bugging me again...), nor is it on the 'summary' on the Maintenance page Sander linked.

I'm experimenting with different (amounts of) glues etc now

@korneel is using this one I think;

tesa.jpg.6dbe839022fdbdccc70d7826f0e1ccb3.jpg

tesa.jpg.6dbe839022fdbdccc70d7826f0e1ccb3.jpg

yes!