Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Gencab

Ordered my first 3d printer. w00t!

So after much debate (with the wife) and research about what printer to get. I have decided to cut my teeth with Ultimaker's Original + . Living in the US I decided to order from dynamism after seeing a few good reports from this community about their experience with the company.

My plan is to report back in kind with order experience and build once complete. Fingers crossed all goes well and happy printing.

• Like 2

Almost guaranteed you will have problems but we will be able to easily help you I'm sure!  Welcome.

Well i'm more concerned with order and shipping problems. As far as assembly its safe to assume an issue or problem is always around the corner but I find its one of the best teachers you can find. Ill be leaning on the community and its vast knowledge base for help so I most certainly appreciate it.

Almost guaranteed you will have problems but we will be able to easily help you I'm sure!  Welcome.

Well i'm more concerned with order and shipping problems. As far as assembly its safe to assume an issue or problem is always around the corner but I find its one of the best teachers you can find. Ill be leaning on the community and its vast knowledge base for help so I most certainly appreciate it.

Why are you specifically worried about order and shipping problems?

And welcome to the community! Good to have you on the team! :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

You do know Ultimaker ships US orders from the US?  and has a US service partner http://fbrc8.com/

edit: .... ahhh you ordered at dynamism  ... I should better read first :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Why are you specifically worried about order and shipping problems?

And welcome to the community! Good to have you on the team! :)

Aside from the typical concerns when ordering any product like shipping damage or lost shipment (very rare) I would have to say parts inventory would be my biggest concern. This concern only came about from a few testimonials out of many I have read about missing the odd random part. In all cases that I have read the customer was well taken care of by the suppler or Ultimaker directly. So all things considered I really don't have much to be worried about in my opinion. I anticipate a fun and enlightening experience. :)

Thinking on it I believe documenting the build and experience will be just as enjoyable.

• Like 2

I recorded a time laps of about 3/4 of the assembly. Ran out of memory lol.

Its completed but I have run to a few issues on first power up.

- The UltiController displays a blank screen when its powered up.

- I mistakenly pressed the button and now the Z axis is continually trying to bottom out the bed. Im not sure how to stop this so I have powered the unit down.

Searching the community for any similar situations. If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

New question for the vast knowledge in this community.

Auto home is way off. I have adjusted the z axis appropriately and it is fine. However X and Y axis are off significantly. What is the best method for setting a proper 0 x 0 x 0 to auto home in the right physical position of the print head?

20150905_145307.thumb.jpg.ecec5297097433ee80796e0a4ec1a8cf.jpg

First print was an ok start. Second print went oddly wrong. Seems Z axis is spot on but X and Y went wild at random for some reason. Every time I hit home on the printer it still tries to home way off from home 0.

So if I manually move x and Y to what should be 0 the printer registers it as 0 until the print starts then I get massive collision. I double checked the alignment and verified the bed is level.

Suggestions?

20150905_145307.thumb.jpg.ecec5297097433ee80796e0a4ec1a8cf.jpg

I found the problem. The Y axis short timing belt has to much slack. It skips on the belt depending on turn length. The X axis short timing belt is loose as well but im a little unsure as to how to remove the slack. I did adjust the pulleys to remove a little slack but is there another method recommended for this particular problem?

I search further in to the community for similar posts and link if I find anything.

In 'the future' when you get the felling that there's room from improvement, check the post https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/5103-ultimaker-black-edition there's many mods listed. Personally I love the twisterblocks and gt2 pulley/belt upgrades.

Also if you fell the ultimaker 'shakes' too much get some printed foots and check Motion/Acceleration to down it to 2000-2500. It depends on how stable it's your table, how well everything it's fitted, etcetc.

• Like 1