• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited) · Cura 15.10 Open Beta

More feedback, about cooling:

When I uncheck 'Enable Cooling Fan' I still have some M106 in the gcode, that apparently ramps the fan towards 'Fan Full on at Layer', which takes the 'Minimum Fan Speed' value.

5a331a1b2cedd_Screenshot2016-03-2315_14_11.thumb.png.e3a7723542e4acbc25fe0f0453d4b739.png

5a331a1a6edac_Screenshot2016-03-2315_14_01.thumb.png.e74fb9dca75503136e0816e3b9a980a6.png

- if the "Enable Cooling Fan" is unchecked I expect the fan to stay off during the whole print (no M106).

It seems this checkbox value is not used (fan always on).

- if I set "Fan Full on at Layer" X, I expect it to use "Maximum Fan Speed" at layer X.

It seems to be using "Minimum Fan Speed".

The only way I found to completely disable the fan (without post processing the gcode) was to set "Minimum Fan Speed" to 0.

Also is it possible to tweak the Material settings in user space (currently in Cura.app/.../profiles/materials/)?

And what exactly does this support? Just temperatures or any setting?

I noticed the layer by layer view is very slow, in stable Cura it was slow just once, then we could move through the layers, now it's slow for each layer.

As a positive note, I love the new support patterns (which need docs in the mouse hover) and roof support!

Great work! I can't wait until next beta!

5a331a1b2cedd_Screenshot2016-03-2315_14_11.thumb.png.e3a7723542e4acbc25fe0f0453d4b739.png

5a331a1a6edac_Screenshot2016-03-2315_14_01.thumb.png.e74fb9dca75503136e0816e3b9a980a6.png

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 15.10 Open Beta

Hey Murphy

I noticed you're not using the latest build. The newest build has a bit clearer GUI as to how the inheritance stuff works. In this case when you explicitly tell the fan to be at 10%, disabling the fan will never override that 10% value.

Material supports every setting you want.

Oh yes there's a new public beta! I was only looking at the private beta folder... Now I'll look at both.

I don't find the new folding Cooling section logic as disabling the cooling fan hides the fan speed, but its value is still used?! To me hide=irrelevant/not used.

About custom settings, if we use the same setting key in Material and Profile, which one will override the other?

If I recall correctly material overrides profile. But we need to put a whole lot more love in the whole profile bit, as it's far from the system that I'd like it to be.

As long as we are requesting features, how about multiple layer stepped brims (like ages old Kisslicer)? They are critical for printing bed adhesion challenged materials like nylon. Simple brims are not adequate and rafts are messy and ugly. (Rafts ruin a nice smooth downskin). Kisslicer is the only software than supports this feature, AFAIK.

If I don't use Kisslicer, I must painstaking design a stepped brim into my solid model or use "boolean glue" (Blender) to add it to the mesh, which often causes other problems (mesh errors or Blender complaints, etc.)

Stepped brim? Do you happen to have an image / picture that explains this better?

About fanspeeds: It took me some time to understand the logic behind max/min fanspeed. As I see it now, maximum fan speed is only used to increase the fanspeed if the printing speed is reduced due to minimum layer time. so minimum is your nominal value while maximum is kind of a boost value. @nallath, did I get that right? If so, you might want to rename those values to e.g. nominal fan speed and boost fan speed.

About fanspeeds: It took me some time to understand the logic behind max/min fanspeed. As I see it now, maximum fan speed is only used to increase the fanspeed if the printing speed is reduced due to minimum layer time. so minimum is your nominal value while maximum is kind of a boost value. @nallath, did I get that right? If so, you might want to rename those values to e.g. nominal fan speed and boost fan speed.

The engine handles those kind of things, so i'm not a 100% sure. I think the min/max speed also does something with first layers (as we don't use fans for the first few layers). It should linearily ramp up at that point.

Stepped brim? Do you happen to have an image / picture that explains this better?

I think he's talking about a brim with multiple layers.

I saw this option in S3D as well, it helps a lot getting the brim to stick for high temperature materials (I used it for ABS).

5a331b7ba1718_Screenshot2016-04-2515_10_31.png.027cb69aa6859c6252dd27ab499ebf09.png

5a331b7ba1718_Screenshot2016-04-2515_10_31.png.027cb69aa6859c6252dd27ab499ebf09.png

• Like 1

That actually makes sense. I'll add it to our tracker!

Can you make it so it also works on skirt..... as I like to misuse skirt (ofset of 0.001, and many lines) to get only brim on the outside of the item. Or even simpler, add the feature "outside only" to brim.

I think he's talking about a brim with multiple layers.

I think in kisslicer the brim become smaller on the upper layers as well, i.e. fillet.

Can you make it so it also works on skirt..... as I like to misuse skirt (ofset of 0.001, and many lines)  to get only brim on the outside of the item. Or even simpler, add the feature "outside only" to brim.

I'm not sure if it's doable to have an outside only brim (implementation blah). I do agree with you. I've had tons of items where outside only would have made my life easier!

I've added your suggestions to our big list of features that we still want.

Edited by Guest

Is it correct that coasting is not in the public beta? Any particular reasons for it? I had the impression it was doing ok in the latest closed beta.

edit: silly me, I didn't see the 'experimental' section...

Edited by Guest

Btw: is it possible Cura could be a bit more clever and remember the last directory a file was stored in? Same goes for the profiles... it's a real pain that it starts always on top directory (Win8.1).

• Like 2

Btw: is it possible Cura could be a bit more clever and remember the last directory a file was stored in? Same goes for the profiles... it's a real pain that it starts always on top directory (Win8.1).

+1 for that request.

• Like 1

As long as we are requesting features, how about multiple layer stepped brims (like ages old Kisslicer)? They are critical for printing bed adhesion challenged materials like nylon. Simple brims are not adequate and rafts are messy and ugly.

It sounds like you are having real trouble printing nylon.

I use an ordinary 10-line brim straight to glass, on ABS juice. The bed is at 65C, or sometimes 50C. Either one is fine, and nylon peels off ABS with the slightest tug.

Below are (partial) shots of a nylon part. As you can see, it's translucent, and the layers barely show up. It was printed at 0.1mm layer height, in Taulman Bridge.

20160427_110159.thumb.jpg.a8554289a4592061d31d48b32f0fe17c.jpg

20160427_110343.thumb.jpg.f9c2468430db760b80db423c6e53e575.jpg

20160427_110159.thumb.jpg.a8554289a4592061d31d48b32f0fe17c.jpg

20160427_110343.thumb.jpg.f9c2468430db760b80db423c6e53e575.jpg

+1 for that request.

It used to be in there. But for some reason the decision was made to use the home folder (I have no idea why to be honest).

Create a github issue if you want it to be changed.

+1 for that request.

It used to be in there. But for some reason the decision was made to use the home folder (I have no idea why to be honest).

Create a github issue if you want it to be changed.

As you wish...

Z%20VADER%20KNEELING.jpg

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/726

• Like 2

Would it be possible to offset the diameter of internal holes?

It's a very common issue with all slicers, they tend to print smaller for various reasons.

http://hydraraptor.blogspot.fr/2011/02/polyholes.html

Hoi,

First of all, i want say that in my opinion the new version is great. But....would it be possible to get the function "multiple object" back. Now it's a lot of work to get several copy's together.

• Like 1

It's a very common issue with all slicers, they tend to print smaller for various reasons.

http://hydraraptor.blogspot.fr/2011/02/polyholes.html

If i'm not wrong this is available in the new beta version

Look at the Shell/Horizontal Expansion setting:

Amount of offset applied to all polygons in each layer. Positive values can compensate for too big holes; negative values can compensate for too small holes.