Cura 15.10 Open Beta

Marrit

Posted · Cura 15.10 Open Beta

Also the performance is much too slow in comparison to the stable version, that's not a killer but large objects need like 5-10 minutes on my (fast) computer each time to modify some setting.

This is fixed in the upcoming release.

I like that you added profiles per object (important thing) but the layer height feature would be something that makes cura special.

I don't understand why that's not already implemented, it seems so obivous to me ?

It's actually very complicated. We would need to change a lot of logic to get this to work properly

I've bought simplify3d yesterday to test and found it works very well and I think Cura could learn a lot from some parts of that slicer.

The slicing of large models takes only a few seconds (I'll stay updated on the Cura speed, however maybe python was not the best choice performance wise?)

They support different layer heights and it does not seem to be such a difficult logic change.

They offer a "cut view" in their UI to locate the right position.

You create 2 processes:

You tell process #1 to stop at height Xmm and process #2 will continue at height Xmm

So they basically used the feature of multiple profiles (processes) to support different layers.

Why would that be so much logic change ?

It's the simplest approach and requires a bit more "fiddling around" than I'd like but it works well.

I printed a bust using 0.2 layer resolution for the bottom area and then 0.06mm resolution for the facial structures saving me 40% print time time.

S3D is not optimized for that (you have to turn off bottom/top solid layers for example) but it's really a simple solution and it works.

The positive side for Cura so far: Cura prints better quality models.

While S3D sometimes makes prints that are nearly as good as an acetone finish (just not glossy) I also had errors in many prints due to wrong settings (it's a pain to learn every raw detail).

I wish there was a crossover to get the best of both worlds :)

• Replies 278
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since layer height changes are based on the side view, I'd think it would be fairly easy to do a box selection and just input height changes for that selection. Change the display color of each layer height difference, and you have a very easy visual display for users, and something relatively easy to code, since they already have the layer view code... they would just need to change the draw color based on height. I've seen that type of editing in 3d modelling applications for ages.

• Like 1

@Konky I,ve been using Simplify3d for 1 Year. I find it much better and get even better than Cura but you have to setup correctly. The Slicer Engine is also very fast.

Also Support Structures are great to handle. Infill different also good job.

I also use Mutiple Processes but what i wish is a Pause command to change Nozzle at Height

and not to that for myself. Example you print 1mm Noozle 95% of the Print and the last 5% ist a small tiny font where you need 0.25 mm Noozle.

The tinkering Simplifie3d with Mutiple Process could be a little bit simpler.

But the rest from that Software is really great.

I'm having my issues with it, mainly because it's just very feature rich and it's way less taking your hand in the beginning because it's made for many printers while Cura clearly has the UM in mind.

From what I have seen and read S3D is with quite a step the best and with a large step the fastest slicer on the market.

There are some downsides, like no absolute values in some cases where relative printspeed or heights make no sense. Also the multi-process stuff could need an overhaul as you said.

In general it's worth the extra time to set up.

Posted (edited) · Cura 15.10 Open Beta

I've been using simplifie 3d since 1 year its reakly great. You can do much more but some setting need to be studied.

Also Support generation is better you can add angles and also manualy as support. If you have the money buy it. I can help you with it.

I am using cura 5% only and s3d 95%.

You can with one license on two pcs or macs or mixed.

They also have great support documents and videos with the funktions explained.

Edited by Guest

Ok just not know. But s3d git better support setting for example you vould print with 30% density and the last 3 layers with 80% density and also adjust the gap betwen model and support. It saves filament

Ok just not know. But s3d git better support setting for example you vould print with 30% density and the last 3 layers with 80% density and also adjust the gap betwen model and support. It saves filament

Cura can. This is a list of all the settings we have wrt to support;

5a3318e1ef531_curasupportsettings.thumb.png.38f742a960843fb6f5706510a13e0f66.png

5a3318e1ef531_curasupportsettings.thumb.png.38f742a960843fb6f5706510a13e0f66.png

Ok in cura 15.06 but also in cura 15.04?

15.04 you can change the gap between the model and the support but not support roof density.

Cura 1.99 is very good and the support provides very clean results.

Edited by Guest

I'm still on the old but trusty 14.09, I thought I'd install the new beta to see how things are going. But the versions seem to be hard to follow. 15.10 (v1.99?) 4 months later and there is a new RC for 15.04 but nothing for the new system. Has the major rewrite been scrapped?

No it hasn't. It's just getting a lot of work done to it.

Yes the version numbers kinda changed.

There has been changes to legacy cura because of the plus models and olsson block and the new cura is not ready for official release.

The newest most stable of the rewrite cura is 1.99 and it has been around for a while with no released RC builds for some time. Some more updates are expected in the next few weeks.

I know they were talking the end of Feb as a hopeful new beta release timeframe.. I wonder if its been delayed any further.

I'm hoping for some change to how supports are handled with larger nozzles.. I just did a print with the .8mm and supports, and the supports were so thick and hard that even removing them with a dremel was a chore. I like the 8mm can print larger objects faster, but if cleanup it s major pita, I'll stick with the .4mm nozzle.

Lol i've got that problem but with 1mm nozzle XD

For larger nozzles you actually require less supports as the strands are a lot stronger and support them selves a lot better.

You can reduce the percentage amount and the x/y direction to minimize the amount you need to remove. haven't tried the Z gap but this could also be an option as the strands will become fat and round so will be closer to the support structure then a smaller nozzle.

I really wish using the extra nozzles had documentation. As it is, I'm hesitant to bother with anything other than .25 and .4 anymore.

I look forward to the new update for this version.

The experience I have to now with this version is excellent.

I, too, am very pleased with the 1.99 features. In fact I am manufacturing a product using it, for the Fuzzy Surface feature.

Edited by Guest

Fuzzy surface???

as described in the latest closed beta;

fuzzy-Cura.jpg.2b4008c72f456e76a3cd1bed8aee3940.jpg

fuzzy-Cura.jpg.2b4008c72f456e76a3cd1bed8aee3940.jpg

I can't find any pictures of the fuzzy skin. Can someone post some pics?

SAM_1308.thumb.JPG.3b68420b8b44e9d0b7ef3741021afcf6.JPG

SAM_1309.thumb.JPG.9ffd61585bd00005d3e6a6570689cf9c.JPG

SAM_1308.thumb.JPG.3b68420b8b44e9d0b7ef3741021afcf6.JPG

SAM_1309.thumb.JPG.9ffd61585bd00005d3e6a6570689cf9c.JPG

• Like 2

I was afraid the fuzzy wall would produce loud noise... but its actually very subtle....

And a better view, used S3D for the visualisation.

Edited by Guest

Oh, wow! I hadn't seen that feature! That might come in handy for translucent filament prints where you want to print to pick up lights from inside. I wonder if this feature could be extended into repeatable patterns of some sort?

I use it for a non-slip surface on the sport fencing pommels I manufacture.

nonslip.jpg.a058396e7174743c4a212e7be7970287.jpg

nonslip.jpg.a058396e7174743c4a212e7be7970287.jpg

Edited by Guest